Windows 10: Slow LAN when laptop(s) connected

Discus and support Slow LAN when laptop(s) connected in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello All, I am trying to solve an issue with connecting my Laptop to my local network I have a Virgin 300Mbs Connection using a Virgin Hub 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jl2509, Oct 5, 2017.

1. jl2509 Win User

Slow LAN when laptop(s) connected

Hello All,

I am trying to solve an issue with connecting my Laptop to my local network

I have a Virgin 300Mbs Connection using a Virgin Hub 3 Router. When I connect my PC via a CAT 5e Ethernet cable, I do get 300Mbs on a speedtest. If I disconnect my PC and connect a laptop to the same Ethernet cable or any other ports on the Virgin Hub3, the max I can get on a speedtest is circa 150Mbs !

Tried this with 3 different laptops and the same result is acheived. 2 of the Laptops are clean installs but updated to latest revisions.

LAN ports on Laptops and PC are Gigabit !

Any thoughts?

Thank you

:)

jl2509, Oct 5, 2017
  2. isinotis1 Win User

Nokia 5800 Wifi

My 5800 has slow downloading speed but when i use the same connection on laptop it is very fast .Is this Nokia 5800's hardware problem or it is my settings that has the fault?

isinotis1, Oct 5, 2017
  3. Slow Internet connection

By default QoS is toggled ON in most routers, coupled with your desktop connecting over a LAN connection which gives LAN priority over WLAN. Also when connecting through a LAN cable, your computer is able to connect with full duplex. So basically your computers
    connected through LAN are the first priority for the router, using most of the available bandwidth.

You have a few choices to limit this:

1. Buy a faster broadband network package. (Not Recommended)

2. Update Ethernet drivers in your system.

3. Update Firmware of router.

4. Your router may be to old and you need a new one.

5. Continue to diagnose to problem & seek more help for insight on the problem.

I can help for as long as I am on.

-Matt

Matt Bondar, Oct 5, 2017
  4. Slow LAN when laptop(s) connected

Hi jl2509.

Go into the properties of the adapters and ensure they are set for full duplex is set.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 5, 2017
  5. jl2509 Win User
    Hi Ken

Thanks for the response.
    The settings were set to auto negotiate, changing to full duplex (1Gps) made no difference?

I will look for a manufacturer specific driver for the LAN adapter rather than the driver which windows installed to see if that helps.

Thank you

jl2509, Oct 5, 2017
  6. Okay, that would be good. Then I would compare some of the other settings in PC with laptops. Words won't be exactly the same but something might pop out as you review.

Lets us know once actual drivers are in.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 5, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Most laptops are only going to have a 150mbps connection, because consumers want manufacturers to squeeze as much battery life out of them. Even the Macbooks throttle down when on battery, so that you get the best life out of them.

As for Ethernet, same thing. Different chipsets will get different speeds and also if on battery, speeds can be lower.

bro67, Oct 6, 2017
  8. jl2509 Win User

Bro67

Appreciate the information.
    My main test Laptop is a Sony Vaio VPCEH2N1E and always on a mains connection, not battery (there is actually no battery fitted when I connect to mains power).

I get the rationale behind battery savings but why put gigabit Lan connector in there only to throttle it?

If this is the answer, then how can I get around this? Any settings to manual override or is it firmware in the chipset and cannot be changed?

As for my previous thread, with Ken, correct and updated drivers are installed all settings reviewed but no change.

Thank you

jl2509, Oct 6, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    It does not matter what laptop you have. It is about the chipset and nothing is throttling your connection, unless you are running the laptop on battery and the manufacturer has the bios set to conserve battery life when on battery and not connected to a power outlet.

Also it depends on how far of distance the location is that you are trying to do a speedtest, what kind of connection they have, if your provider where you live overseas may throttle the connection in peak periods, etc. Too many factors to tell why the speeds are different without anything to show us what is going on by providing Trace Routes and speedtest results.

bro67, Oct 6, 2017
  10. Would AV / Firewalls impact performance ??

Are they same between all products?

Who made the NIC?

Went to Sony site, interesting, quoting "Unfortunately, there currently are no manuals for this product" ????

and only one driver for bluetooth (Atheros).

Caledon Ken, Oct 6, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    Yes Firewalls and sandboxing of both the browser and OS can cause issues. I use a Net Tools app on my iPhone when testing against the Speedtest app for Mac OS and in the web browser. All are the same speeds when I test on my network, even when I go to just my U-Verse gateway. All computers in my house and along with Wifi and Ethernet connections stay at what my Max speed is listed. That is why I believe that we are dealing with a inaccurate baseline for the OP.

The OP is going to have to get a Baseline of what the connection should be and what they are seeing on each machine. That may need to use a Live install of Linux on both and then making sure that the Gateway is set up and nothing is changed. When I am asking on these type of posts, I am going on that what I see on my own network and knowing that I have not made dramatic changes and that I do not run anything else when I make my tests.

If the OP uses something like Speedtest-Cli, which means installing Python for running the test. It gets it out of the GUI and any antimalware/speed throttling tools. I would not put it past the British using a QOS throttling Proxy.

bro67, Oct 6, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    Ken I bet they forgot to disconnect Wifi and it was the primary connection, is why they only saw 150mbps. Also that Laptop has an older HM65 Express Chipset from the 1st Quarter of 2011. You have to love when manufacturers of Beige Box hardware are still using outdated tech.

bro67, Oct 7, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

Did you install any of this garbage on your computers? "The Home Works add-on normally costs £9.99 per month on top of your existing subscription and this gives home customers access to Virgin Media’s enhanced technical support features (e.g. TuneUp and Gadget Rescue), F-Secure SAFE® security (Internet security), F-Secure® Key (encrypted password management."

Dump the TuneUP and Gadget Rescue, along with uninstalling F-Secure while running your tests. The first two can wreck havoc on Speed Tests, Traceroute and Ping tests. Even if you run from the Command Line, Speedtest CLI. You can still see issues. Also turn off your Wifi on your laptop, which is why you saw 150mbps between the laptop and the Gateway.

bro67, Oct 7, 2017
  14. jl2509 Win User
    Thanks for the support here guys.To be a little more clear...Laptops are clean, only the OS is installed and fully updated, No antivirus, No "Virgin Garbage", and the WiFi is turned off.

Also, I subscribe to Virgin top package and no throttling is applied at any time (inc peak periods) 300Mbps tested with testmy.net and speedtest.net, so no British QoS Throttling.
    As for being an older chipset, the same issue is on every laptop I test. Laptop tested today is a Acer Aspire E 17 E5-772G-76ED, this is not quite so old.

The 300Mbps speed is achieved and sustained anytime of day on my PC whilst connected directly to the Router. When I connect a using the same ethernet cable and router port, the laptop speed is circa 150Mbps.
    WiFi turns off automatically when an Ethernet cable is attached anyway, but to be sure, WiFi is "Physically turned off always"

I guess this thread is closed now as it appears to be a chipset issue which I have no control over.

Appreciate your help

Thank you

jl2509, Oct 7, 2017
  15. bro67 Win User
    Again you possibly saw 150mbps, because you were connecting to your Gateway with Wifi on your laptop. No way of knowing, unless you can give us text output of those items that would show it. Also third party software plays a huge part in poor speed quality, along with incorrectly setup hardware.

Remove any third party software, get a good baseline on each device without the garbage software, then use that to compare with what you want to run.

The chipset on your motherboard that I pointed out, is way past it's prime and Sony has been known to screw with customers in their DRM and hardware.

bro67, Oct 7, 2017
Thema:

1. Slow LAN when laptop(s) connected - Similar Threads - Slow LAN laptop

2. BSOD when connecting to lan

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD when connecting to lan: For a few months now I've been getting BSOD's on Bad Pool Caller, when connected to my router.I have re-installed Windows 11 22H2, 21H2, and even Windows 10, but the problem persisted.I have downloaded 2 apps to check for outdated drivers, updated all the suspect drivers,...
  3. BSOD when connecting to lan

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD when connecting to lan: For a few months now I've been getting BSOD's on Bad Pool Caller, when connected to my router.I have re-installed Windows 11 22H2, 21H2, and even Windows 10, but the problem persisted.I have downloaded 2 apps to check for outdated drivers, updated all the suspect drivers,...
  4. Gigabyte Lan connection randomly slowing down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gigabyte Lan connection randomly slowing down: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 motherboard, Gigabyte Lan using cat8 cable; connector shows Gigabyte connected speed to netgear GS308E 8 port switch latest firmware also highest rated speed, have run speed test with windows 10 app and online in Chrome, the first test shows my rated...
  5. Gigabyte Lan connection randomly slowing down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gigabyte Lan connection randomly slowing down: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 motherboard, Gigabyte Lan using cat8 cable; connector shows Gigabyte connected speed to netgear GS308E 8 port switch latest firmware also highest rated speed, have run speed test with windows 10 app and online in Chrome, the first test shows my rated...
  6. Gigabyte Lan connection randomly slowing down

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. BSOD when LAN cable is connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when LAN cable is connected: Hi, I'm encountering a weird BSOD behavior. Windows boot up nicely when it is not connected to the network. Once Windows is connected to the network it will cause BSOD. The system is able to recover upon restart and removing the network cable. I'm currently using 19H1 OS...
  8. LAN/FTP connections slow and unreliable

LAN/FTP connections slow and unreliable: Hey, I'm on windows 10 Pro, ver 1903 build 18362.657. I'm having issues with my android apps detecting apps and services on windows over local WIFI. I'm using a wifi USB adapter. Things I've tried : * Allow through firewall, even disabled firewall to test no luck. I don't...
  9. Slow LAN

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow LAN: Hi! I have a tiny but very annoying problem: My home wired network was designed with CAT5e and CAT6 LAN cables. All components have gigabit LAN, I use WIN 10 pro, and I applied for FTTH – that is working fine. Unfortunately, there is no gigabit connection on either of my...
  10. LAN Says No Internet When it is connected!!!

LAN Says No Internet When it is connected!!!: Hi All, There is an issue in one of my system that it says No Internet when it is connected to LAN(In Domain). But it is getting the network(IP) and all the other stuffs are completely fine with network. Can anyone please share me the answer if you have come across this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. GS308E throttles ethernet speeds