Windows 10: Slow loading and freezing

Discus and support Slow loading and freezing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; The Problems I have two problems which I suspect are related, so I am including them both in this post. 1. Slow App Load. This PC has always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JohnDSX, Dec 31, 2018.

1. JohnDSX Win User

Slow loading and freezing

The Problems

I have two problems which I suspect are related, so I am including them both in this post.

1. Slow App Load. This PC has always been slow at loading apps. Particularly Microsoft Office apps. In 2016 I upgraded to Office 2016 from Office 2007 but that didn’t help. Earlier this year I replaced my C: drive with an SSD and that didn’t make much of a noticeable difference either. Subsequent to the onset of my other problem which I will deal with below, this slowness has become beyond slow. I have timed the period between double clicking on a desktop icon and the moment the blue wait circle goes away at 19 seconds. Clicking on a folder in Windows Explorer is OK but when I double click on an actual file, opening it takes a similar amount of time.

Apart from the SSD, I have a 3.3 gig processor and 8 gigs of RAM and my hard drives all have around 60% unused space.

2. System Freezes. I have been recording a large number of small videos using Pinnacle (Corel) screen capturing application. This procedure involves streaming the video and recording it at the same time. When recording finishes, the newly recorded file name in the recording folder gets displayed. I rename the file and minimize the folder and bring up the next video and repeat the process.

I go through maybe 10 files this way and then the system freezes. It doesn’t respond to anything, even ctl-alt-del.

The first time this happened I tried to revive it by bringing up the Task Manager (which didn’t happen) and then ctl-alt-del. That didn’t work either and I suddenly found myself looking at a plain blue screen I tried mouse-clicking and some keyboard attempts which I don’t remember the details of and I got a plain white non-responsive screen.

At this time I gave up and hit the power button and a minute or so later tried to restart.

The machine booted up to a plain blue non-responsive screen. So I powered off and then on again.

This time I got my desktop and mouse pointer, but left or right clicking did nothing. Power off and then on again This time It booted into the desktop and mouse clicking produced the blue wait circle, but nothing else.

After the next power off/on I noticed that the hard drive light was flashing intermittently and so was the blue wait circle so I left it alone for about an hour to see if it would continue to heal itself. Which is what happened.

With subsequent freezes I simply powered off and then on again and found that I had access to everything, but in an even slower mode than before any of this happened. Maybe even twice as slow.

What I have done​

It seemed to me pretty clear that what I had was either a virus infection or a corrupted Windows system. Probably the latter. But just to be sure I ran Hitman Pro and Microsoft Security Scan and both came up clean.

So then, in sequence I ran with Administrator privileges:

1. Perfmon / Report. The summary page seemed clean except some percentage of the logs could not be recovered. I could not understand the detail pages, but I kept the report in case anyone wants to see it.

2. sfc /scannow - Found no violations

3. DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - Found no violations.

Finally, in case the problems were all SSD related I checked to see if TRIM is enabled and it is. I checked on the drive optimization and found them all optimized except for drive d:, which I then optimized.

But what I found then was that AHCI is not listed in Device Manager under IDE ATA ATAPI Controllers which. Which, it seems, could be an indication that AHCI is not enabled.

I have instructions for enabling it but this involves messing with the Registry which scares me if the “indication that AHCI is not enabled” turns out not to be accurate.

So here, finally, is something specific that I can ask for advice on.

I hope there is not too much complex information here, but I felt it worth while to not leave anything out.

:)

JohnDSX, Dec 31, 2018
  2. mbmeadows Win User

Constant script errors and slow loading pages in 10 internet explorer 11

I have done the steps listed above. They have not helped and I am still getting constant script errors, along with slow loading pages. Are there any other suggestions?

mbmeadows, Jan 10, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Strange freezing under GPU and CPU load.

My main rig has been suffering from very random complete freezes over the past month, which require a hard reset. And I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Here are the facts:

• It only does it when the GPU and CPU are under a lot of load(i.e. Folding)
    • It does it rather often while playing Plants vs. Zombies, which is probably due to the high GPU/CPU load.
    • It does it with everything at stock speeds.
    • When I reboot the computer after the freeze. All of the websites that I've logged into, such as TPU, require me to log in again. <-- This one is really strange to me.
    • PSU fan has started to noticeably click when I shut the computer down, but I know it is still spinning, but maybe not fast enough?
    Here is what I've tried:

• Reset everything to stock.
    • Swapped out 3 different video cards.
    • Ran CPU folding only for a week. <-- No freezes.
    • Ran GPU folding only for a week. <-- No freezes.
    • Added second auxilary PSU to power GPU only.
    • Removed 2 sticks of RAM.
    That is kind of where I'm stumped.

I thought maybe it was the PSU, so I tried to take some load off of it by adding an auxilary PSU I had laying around. That didn't help at all, though I still think it might be the PSU, so I ordered a Corsair HX850, which should be here this week. The PSU is almost 3 years old at this point.

My next guess is the HDD, and I only say that because it seems like every time the computer freezes, it corrupts any cookies I have stored, forcing me to log into every website again. Also, it is probably older than the PSU at this point. If the new PSU doesn't fix it, a new HDD is probably my next step.

I also found it very stange that it crashes a lot with Plants vs. Zombies(girlfriend loves it, which pisses her off more than me, but gets me in trouble every time it freezes just as she is about to win a level). However, I figured out that even though it is a very simple game graphically, it uses a lot of CPU and GPU power(it is hardware accellerated and does use a lot of the CPU when there is a lot of stuff going on). I haven't had a freeze in any other game, including Just Cause 2, which I've been playing extensively.

Am I overlooking anything?

newtekie1, Jan 10, 2020
  4. wt_lesny Win User

Windows Vista Wont Install Freezes?

had the same problem, freezes and long installation including each step loading, in my case a bios update helped.

wt_lesny, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Slow loading and freezing - Similar Threads - Slow loading freezing

2. Slow to load

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow to load: My laptop is really slow to start up. And so do my apps except folders and documents. My web browser does this to sometimes. I don't know what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-to-load/e6f05add-8163-400c-9b49-14156f4b689a
  3. Slow to load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow to load: My laptop is really slow to start up. And so do my apps except folders and documents. My web browser does this to sometimes. I don't know what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-to-load/e6f05add-8163-400c-9b49-14156f4b689a
  4. Slow to load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Slow Loading

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow Loading: Some of the programs on my ssd have been loading slowly for a while now. I don't know when it started, but I think it has gotten a little slower recently. For example, when I click on chrome, nothing happens for about 5-7 seconds. Then when the program opens, it is blank for...
  6. slow loading

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    slow loading: Lately pages are loading extremely slow. I've emptied temp files, etc. but nothing works. Will resetting my computer help? It says I can choose what to keep. Will resetting get rid of my pictures and/or documents?...
  7. Slow loading of all apps and slow page loading

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow loading of all apps and slow page loading: I have a Windows 10 Laptop used for work. Program and internet access was fairly prompt. Updated and opening anything was VERY slow. Loading pages very slow. My Apple and XP machines are fine, connection is not the problem. Task Manager shows "Antimalware Service...
  8. games loading slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    games loading slow: Microsoft card games wont load or are very slow. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/games-loading-slow/9354d681-5e37-4b47-b2e1-4e1f86ebfa0c
  9. Slow Loading Pages

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow Loading Pages: Hi, Would like to know why my pages take so long to load? It always says, "page is unresponsive." I am using Google Chrome. Tried using Microsoft Edge, and the same thing happens. Advice will be appreciated....
  10. Slow loading desktop and freezing issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow loading desktop and freezing issues: So for the past month I been having issues with logging in my computer. It would load my desktop slowly or freeze if I leave it the I see the mouse with the loading icon and it will load for an hour. I try restarting multi times. I also went into safe mode and it loads fine I...