Windows 10: Slow Network File Transfers On New Dell Boxes

Discus and support Slow Network File Transfers On New Dell Boxes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have installed three new Dell systems on a small network. The systems are well equipped with fast CPUs and 16GB RAM and 1TB local drives. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Tracy_Lee_IT, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Slow Network File Transfers On New Dell Boxes

I have installed three new Dell systems on a small network. The systems are well equipped with fast CPUs and 16GB RAM and 1TB local drives.

I have tried the various autotuninglevel settings and Remote Differential Compression to no effect.

The older Windows 7 system they replaced never experienced this type of sluggish behavior, so I am feeling like the OS is my culprit, but I am not ruling anything out.

Here are my observations: Copying from a network folder share to a local machine maybe 1600 files/folders of various sizes totaling to around 700MB using file explorer, select copy paste - it takes around 20 minutes sometimes more, never less.

Using XCOPY same files and locations it takes less than 3 minutes.

I also noted that even though I had mapped the drive in file explorer that I could not see the drive letter in the DOS box until I also mapped it using NET USE. Either something weird is going on or I am totally lost!

Why does the file copy using the GUI take so long?

:)

Tracy_Lee_IT, Feb 16, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Schedules task has slow network transfers?

I have a bat file that I use to backup all my data from one computer to another. They are on a gigabit network.

When I run the bat file normally(by double clicking it), it will transfer fast. Network untilization is usually in the 40-50% range.

Now, if I schedule a task to run the bat file, it transfers extremely slow. Network utilization is usually in the 2-3% range.

It takes multiple hours to finish the backup if it runs as a task and there is any new data.

Are scheduled tasks limitted in some why that might be causing this?

This is Vista x64.

newtekie1, Feb 16, 2019
  3. Dia01 Win User
    Vista Network Transfer Verrrry Slow!

Anyone know if there's a hotfix or a work around to improve transfer speeds. I'm trying to move about 260Mb of music file to my public music folder so I can transfer them to my HTPC via the network. During this process the OS locks up really badly and the transfer speeds are just ridiculously slow, something is wrong!

Dia01, Feb 16, 2019
  4. rss81 Win User

Slow Network File Transfers On New Dell Boxes

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Feb 16, 2019
Thema:

Slow Network File Transfers On New Dell Boxes

1. Slow Network File Transfers On New Dell Boxes - Similar Threads - Slow Network File

2. Slow File Transfer in window 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow File Transfer in window 11: Hello,I recently got the window 11 for my laptop and when i tried to move or copy files whose size is almost 2gb from my google drive desktop app to G:// drive I noticed that the file transfer was not happening and the speed of file transfer is really slow. And I ended up...
  3. Extremely slow file transfers internrally

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Extremely slow file transfers internrally: I'm using my old 4 years old gaming gig as a Plex server. I ran out of room on the array I had set up with three 8TB drives and purchased two new 18 TB drives. I've tried to copy the files over to the larger drives and have attempted this to both drives. They are each set up...
  4. file transfer dramatically slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file transfer dramatically slow: I have an issue with slow file transfer windows 10. I am almost sure it has nothing to do with the network settings. I have one application and: 1. If launched from local drive works perfect 2. If launched from mapped drive same folder on the same hdd works very slow 3. If...
  5. Slow file transfer

Slow file transfer: I have an issue with slow file transfer (windows 10). I am almost sure it has nothing to do with the network settings. I have one application and: 1.If launched from local drive works perfect 2.If launched from mapped drive (same folder on the same hdd) works very slow 3.If...
  6. slow wifi on new dell computer

slow wifi on new dell computer: I have a new Dell laptop. A Nighthawk Netgear router and new Motorola modem. My old Toshiba gets 75-80 mb DLs, but this new Dell gets only 25-30! I tried updating router firmware, resetting modem, restarting the computer, but still poor speed. What can I do to speed it up...
  7. Slow Network Speed During File Transfer Unless Gaming

Slow Network Speed During File Transfer Unless Gaming: Frm: Windows 10, Asus Maximus III MoBo. Realtek Gig Network. Windows or Asus mb drivers, not sure. Through: Linksys gig switch to netgear gig switch To: Dell R710 with gig cards running Vsphere 6, to a default VM (1 cpu, 2 gigs ram) running CentOS 7.2 using Cygwin...
  8. Slow Internet When Transferring Files

Slow Internet When Transferring Files: i've notice over the last few weeks when i'm moving or copying a large amount of files to a drive and go to browse the net while i wait for the files to finish moving / copying it takes forever for pages to load. i've never seen this behavior before. does anyone know if this...
  9. Incredibly slow file transfer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Incredibly slow file transfer: It starts at around 300MB/s but after a second it drops to 20MB/s. On Windows 7 it was usually around 100MB/s. This is for transferring to second hard drive. It's even slower transferring to USB drive, about 2 MB/s. 15426
  10. no transfer box when transfering files

in Windows 10 Support
    no transfer box when transfering files: I'm talking about one of the below transfer boxes. I no longer see one when copying files so I have to guess when it is finished. It seems to have started after my last weekly update. I'm running Build 11082 with all the latest updates. [img] 34653