Windows 10: Slow performance using grep.exe or ag.exe on windows 10

Discus and support Slow performance using grep.exe or ag.exe on windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've been transitioning from windows 7 to window 10. I use cygwin and linux tools like grep.exe and ag.exe to search file contents. The issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dhatch48, Sep 4, 2018.

1. dhatch48 Win User

Slow performance using grep.exe or ag.exe on windows 10

Hi,

I've been transitioning from windows 7 to window 10. I use cygwin and linux tools like grep.exe and ag.exe to search file contents.

The issue is using these tools on windows 10 is dog slow and I don't get why. For a search that takes 5 seconds on my windows 7, takes about ~1.5 minutes on windows 10. (same search on same files)

Another observation is while searching, the lsass.exe starts using most of the cpu (40 -60 %) then goes back to idle when the search finally finishes.

Things I've tried:

• Turned off realtime scanning (windows anti-malware)
    • Turned off UAC
    • used cmd.exe to search instead of mintty.exe terminal (to bypass cygwin.dll)
    • used powershell.exe to search
    • Program compatibility mode set to windows 7

:)

dhatch48, Sep 4, 2018

2. Exe file slow to open

MSE doesn't slow down EXE files so turning it off would make no difference AND its not worth the risk. What exe is he even trying to run?

TheMailMan78, Sep 4, 2018
  3. Exe file

New PC

Windows 10

Trying to download Chrome browser (exe file)

when trying to open, prompts open with and list programs to open with

will not allow exe file.

LuisValentin1, Sep 4, 2018
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Slow performance using grep.exe or ag.exe on windows 10 - Similar Threads - Slow performance using

2. Slow to open exe files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow to open exe files: My Windows opens "exe" files very slowly, some software takes a few minutes to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-to-open-exe-files/333204af-2027-4ce9-bb91-c0c1a09e7028
  3. Slow to open exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow to open exe files: My Windows opens "exe" files very slowly, some software takes a few minutes to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-to-open-exe-files/333204af-2027-4ce9-bb91-c0c1a09e7028
  4. using wusa,exe command

in Windows 10 Gaming
    using wusa,exe command: I am trying to uninstall an update, so I used the command line stand-along-installer like this 'wusa /uninstall /KB5003791'the only output I got was if I issued wusa /? what did I miss here? does wusa have to run as adminstrator?...
  5. using wusa,exe command

using wusa,exe command: I am trying to uninstall an update, so I used the command line stand-along-installer like this 'wusa /uninstall /KB5003791'the only output I got was if I issued wusa /? what did I miss here? does wusa have to run as adminstrator?...
  6. using wusa,exe command

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. .exe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .exe: So i was not able to run Amd.exe . To do so i went to regedit and under Hkey class root .exe i changed the value .exe to “%1” %* but the mistake i made was i did not gave a space after “%1”. So after i restarted my pc i am anot able to open any .exe files i tried...
  8. Windows 10 cannot find rundll32.exe

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 cannot find rundll32.exe: This problem started when my system did a OS update. I run a windows 10 and since the update of the software, the volume of my system has gone down really low. When I click to open the sounds from the speaker, it gives me the message "windows cannot find the...
  9. Using A New .exe For An Application ?

Using A New .exe For An Application ?: Hello, Have had somewhat contradictory results with this, so thought I'd just ask: I have an .exe file for an application. A new version has just come out. I know I can delete the old .exe one, and use the new one; no problem. But was wondering: can I just put...
  10. CEIP - rundll32.exe high CPU use in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CEIP - rundll32.exe high CPU use in Win 10?: Hi, I found my CPU being used to 50% by rundll32.exe invagent,RunUpdate -noappraiser QwarAFRPWUiri4M6.4 which from Win 7/8 reports appears to be sthg to do with the Customer Experience Improvement Program. Process Explorer seemed no help on this, and I've been running...