Windows 10: Slow POST Time, Takes About 30sec

Discus and support Slow POST Time, Takes About 30sec in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I have Ryzen 7 1700 paired with MSI X370 SLI Plus mainboard and I find time wasted to do POST is really annoying, it takes about 30 seconds before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by cliffflip, Jun 21, 2017.

1. cliffflip Win User

Slow POST Time, Takes About 30sec

Hi, I have Ryzen 7 1700 paired with MSI X370 SLI Plus mainboard and I find time wasted to do POST is really annoying, it takes about 30 seconds before Windows logo appears.

There's "EZ debug LED" on the mainboard and I noticed from power on, CPU LED lit about 10 seconds, then no LED lit for ~10 seconds and finally 10 seconds for GPU LED. Before using AM4 mainboard, I use AM3 mainboard with my current GPU (GTX 1070) and before POST, I saw some texts indicating my GPU is running (GPU POST? I don't know about this), somehow, on my current AM4 mainboard I don't see this texts. So after power on the monitor still on sleep, and after that wakes up after GPU on the debug LED finish.

I already on the latest BIOS version (7A33v33), though it's indeed improving from the release BIOS (v3.0) that takes about 40 seconds to do POST. Please help.

:)

cliffflip, Jun 21, 2017
  2. Giladgr2 Win User

Very slow Lumia

I have very slow Lumia 600 series. the phone is very very slow, and it is only about 1 year old.

i added another SD with 32gb, even that the original has free 1gb.

i made sure i have the most updated version.

i turned off all the applications in the background.

i did soft restart.

still, it is very slow.

e.g. whatssup takes more than 30sec,

calling any number takes few secs.

what can be done?

gilad

Giladgr2, Jun 21, 2017
  3. Giladgr2 Win User
    My lumia 650 became slow after recent update

i have the same problem. the phone is very very slow, and it is about 1 year old.

i added another SD with 32gb, even that the original has free 1gb.

i made sure i have the most updated version.

i did soft restart.

i turned off all the applications in the background.

still, it is very slow.

e.g. whatssup takes more than 30sec,

calling any number takes few secs.

what can be done?

gilad

Giladgr2, Jun 21, 2017
  4. TV2
    TV2 Win User

First, try these things:
    • Go into the UEFI/BIOS and reset BIOS Defaults, then restart and test.

If that doesn't work, try a ClearCMOS procedure
    • Turn off the PC, disconnect power cord
    • Find and remove the 3v battery on the motherboard
    • Find the ClearCMOS or CLRTC jumper on the motherboard (consult the manual for location)
    • Move the jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3
    • Replace the jumper on pins 1-2, replace the battery, plug in the PC, power on, and test

Simplify the system
    • Disconnect all but the essential parts of the PC, which are: Power supply, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and Graphics Card.
    • Test the boot time in this simplified form. (You will only get to see the boot info here, which should end with a message telling you that no operating system is found)
    • If the boot time is good in simple form then the delay is with the hard drives and/or the OS.
    • If the boot time is still delayed then there is a problem with one of the core devices.

There should be a setting in your UEFI/BIOS that toggles on/off the display of the boot info. This is often named "Fast Boot", or similar. Make sure this setting is disabled so you can see what is going on. Sometimes you can see where in the process the system hangs.

There are 3 basic steps to a PC starting up:
    • The POST (Power On Self Test)
    • Enumeration
    • Hand over to the Operating System

The POST is a simple test, it only checks that the motherboard is "alive", can read the BIOS, and is functioning within parameters.
    In the old days PCs came with a speaker attached to the motherboard that would beep when the POST was successful. This was reassuring because if you heard the simple beep you knew there was no problem with the motherboard or CMOS data.

The Enumeration process is where the motherboard literally takes count of the devices attached to it and compares this list to the CMOS data to see if there are any changes. (If Fast Boot is disabled you can watch this process happen.)

Once this process is completed the BIOS looks for a bootable device. Once found, it will hands over control of the system to the OS, which takes over from there.

The POST should never take more than a few seconds. If the delay is in the POST you could have a problem with one of the core components.
    Enumeration is often where we see delay. Usually because one of the connected devices has a problem, or is not reporting correctly.
    The Hand Over can be delayed if there is a problem with a hard drive or in the Boot Manager.

It is very important when dealing with a problem like yours to know where in the process the delay is taking place, because you would do very different things depending on where the problem lies.
    Sometimes when troubleshooting a problem system it becomes important to have some basic tools at your disposal for diagnostic work: a PC speaker, a cheap and simple graphics card, and a known good blank hard drive. If you can't clear up the problem using the simple techniques above, and you don't have the parts needed to do the testing, then it is recommended to bring it to a repair shop.

5. Steve C Win User
    Good Post 2. Check you have no active partitions set on any connected drive other than your main boot drive since this can confuse / slow the boot process. Also, disconnect any non-essential USB devices at boot to see if these are causing problems.

Steve C, Jun 24, 2017
  6. cliffflip Win User
    Hi, thanks for the detailed replies, I just got back from vacation so sorry I haven't replied it earlier *Smile

- I have reset BIOS to default settings. still problem exists
    - I don't want to remove the battery from my mainboard, as it's sealed with warranty sticker
    - I did boot with essential parts only (plus my SSD). I will try to remove the SSD after I post this
    - Also I will remove any USB devices I have to see if it is the problem
    - Strangely, I can't find any fastboot option on my mainboard

I also Googled my problems and it seems a few users of the same mainboard have the same problem. I have described my problem on MSI forum and they tell me to wait for the newer BIOS to solve this. Could it be that the problem lies on my current BIOS, and a newer, stable BIOS will fix this?

cliffflip, Jun 28, 2017
  7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Yes, the problem could be solved by a BIOS upgrade. Problems like yours are often BIOS related and if the original BIOS was buggy then that would 'splain it.

The warranty sticker gave me a chuckle. They must not sell to many self builders.

8. cliffflip Win User

I just flashed the latest BIOS available (beta V3.44) from MSI forum and it doesn't improve the boot/POST time. Guess I'll have to wait until they release stable version and hopefully it solves my problem.
    Thanks *Smile

cliffflip, Jun 28, 2017
  9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    The "Fast Boot" option is usually found under the BOOT Tab in the UEFI/BIOS Settings (Advanced Mode).

There can also be a "POST Delay Time" option there too. You want to keep that a 2 or 3 seconds normally.

It's importand to know where in the process your delay occurs.

Thema:

1. Slow POST Time, Takes About 30sec - Similar Threads - Slow POST Takes

2. Wordpad takes 30secs to open, but instantaneous if WiFi disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wordpad takes 30secs to open, but instantaneous if WiFi disabled: HP Envy laptop, BIOS/Firmware fully updatedWindows 10/11, fully updatedAnti Virus: Windows Security with default settingsWordpad takes over 30 seconds to start. Same problem occurs with some - but not all - other programs. E.g. LibreOffice takes forever to open a document. On...
  3. Wordpad takes 30secs to open, but instantaneous if WiFi disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wordpad takes 30secs to open, but instantaneous if WiFi disabled: HP Envy laptop, BIOS/Firmware fully updatedWindows 10/11, fully updatedAnti Virus: Windows Security with default settingsWordpad takes over 30 seconds to start. Same problem occurs with some - but not all - other programs. E.g. LibreOffice takes forever to open a document. On...
  4. Another post about updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Another post about updates: Is it worth installing the Intel firmware drivers that are under the optional list? What about the ones listed for my mouse (Razer HID) and Microsoft Wireless Router Module? Is there a way (and is it safe) to disable optional updates entirely? What about the Cumulative...
  5. Slow opening 30sec to 30min time of my "Windows Update" page data.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow opening 30sec to 30min time of my "Windows Update" page data.: I am running a Toshiba Satelite laptop, Windows 10 64-bit, Ver 20H2, fully updated system. Runs great, with no problems whatsoever.But when I open SETTINGS, and select "Update & Security" for purposes of viewing the various info options on that screen, etc , it opens a blank...
  6. Question about desktop load time (not boot/startup time, but the time it takes to go from...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about desktop load time (not boot/startup time, but the time it takes to go from...: First of all, I'm not sure what this time should be called (like bios time in task manager but not for startup), so if anyone knows that would be great. Basically, my PC used to only take a couple seconds to go from putting in the password to a usable desktop. Recently,...
  7. first time post

in Windows 10 Support
    first time post: Version 2004 Build 19041.508 165818
  8. PC running slow. Applications take lot of time to open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC running slow. Applications take lot of time to open: Hello, I have a HP-500-Pavilion Model System Model 500-205t PC with the following components. Processor: IntelR CoreTM i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3500 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors Installed Physical Memory RAM: 6.00 GB Total Physical Memory: 5.91 GB Available Physical...
  9. 30sec + loading time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    30sec + loading time: I have a issue with windows 10 taking 30+ seconds to load up. It gets stuck on welcome screen and i never used to have this issue before. Here is my logs. Bootlog shows multiple times BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys my cbs log shows...
  10. Help: W10 running extremely slow and/or freezing for 30sec-1min.

in Windows 10 Support
    Help: W10 running extremely slow and/or freezing for 30sec-1min.: Hi. I really need help with W10. I have no idea what's causing it to run so slow. I have Bitdefender antivirus. And Zone Alarm firewall. No viruses were found. Everything comes up clean. Windows constantly freezes. Like when I click something, it will freeze for about 30...