Windows 10: Slow processing power after format in Excel (games/gpu are fine)...

Discus and support Slow processing power after format in Excel (games/gpu are fine)... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; i have an i7 5820k, 16gb mem, nvidia 2070 super.... i use 2 main programs for work, excel and another random piece of financial planning software that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by hiohaa, Feb 2, 2021.

1. hiohaa Win User

Slow processing power after format in Excel (games/gpu are fine)...

i have an i7 5820k, 16gb mem, nvidia 2070 super....
    i use 2 main programs for work, excel and another random piece of financial planning software that is cpu intensive.
    i decided to format at the beginning of the year as it had been a few years and i felt like after all the windows updates it could do with a clean format.

i normally use the USB flash device tool thing from windows.
    since that point, the performance has been poor in these 2 programs, especially excel.
    If i flick between tabs in an excel file, you can see in the video below how it hangs. In the other software which is more cpu intensive it will show the 'processing' eggtimer icon for ages.

I've had to switch back to using my crappy work laptop, which is only an i5-7200U with 8gb ram. Significantly slower processor, less cores, less everything.
    Up until the format, my PC was significantly faster.....as you'd expect.

I've formatted twice, made sure all the updates are installed, drivers all updated, everything. Done all the usual.
    I feel like the last window update has done something but i don't know what and no way to roll back otherwise it'd just keep telling me to install it.

is there any way to troubleshoot this?
    What on earth has happened?!

:)

hiohaa, Feb 2, 2021
  2. ddelo Win User

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. Slow processing power after format in Excel (games/gpu are fine)... :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Feb 2, 2021
  3. format cells in excel

Hi Coolrunnings63,

It appears that we currently do not have the ability to undo formatting in the mobile version of Excel 2013. I believe this is a definite candidate for the

Windows Phone Suggestion Box
    . The only exception is if you tap Undo in the ellipse menu (...) after adding the formatting.

As a possible workaround, I'd suggest saving the file to your SkyDrive account, then logging into your free SkyDrive account using a web browser and use the free web-based Excel to remove the formatting.

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Feb 2, 2021
  4. kevthu Win User

Excel files only open/save slow on network share

• Opening any Excel file, even an empty Excel file from any network share located on any machine on this domain network results in slow performance. When opening a file, Excel will state: "Downloading: <path name>", then will say "Processing...", then will
      say "Opening: <path name>", then will say "Processing...", and then finally opens. Once open the file performs normally.
    • The Save process is equally slow for any Excel file saving to a Network Share
    • Opening these same files locally on any machine is fast.
    • Opening any other file type on these shares is fast, including Word, pdf, jpg, etc. of much larger size than the Excel files.
    • The slow performance is seen on all machines on the network.
    It seems like this would be a network issue but I'm not sure where to start. Again it only affects Excel files, nothing else. But it affects all Excel files.

Some machines here are Windows 7 running Office 2010, but the same slow behavior is seen on Windows 10 machines running Office 365.

kevthu, Feb 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Slow processing power after format in Excel (games/gpu are fine)... - Similar Threads - Slow processing power

2. Help with weird GPU/Integrated CPU game processing. Game is processing 3D on integrated CPU...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help with weird GPU/Integrated CPU game processing. Game is processing 3D on integrated CPU...: For the game Black Ops III through steam, the game has super super low frames, which is very odd for my computer, being tit has fairly good specs. Looking at task manager, the game says it is running through GPU 0- Copy, which is my NVidia GPU, but looking at the actual...
  3. Help with weird GPU/Integrated CPU game processing. Game is processing 3D on integrated CPU...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with weird GPU/Integrated CPU game processing. Game is processing 3D on integrated CPU...: For the game Black Ops III through steam, the game has super super low frames, which is very odd for my computer, being tit has fairly good specs. Looking at task manager, the game says it is running through GPU 0- Copy, which is my NVidia GPU, but looking at the actual...
  4. Slow processing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow processing: Hi,I have been facing this issue since i brought the new laptop. Whenever, there is any update from Microsoft, my disk usage goes to 100% and it gets stuck there. I tried many settings, disabled many unwanted services but I have not found a right solution of this problem....
  5. Excel Power Query

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel Power Query: I am using power query to combine excel files from a folder. There are line items with hyperlinks that are not transferring as hyperlinks when the query is run. Is there a way to correct this?...
  6. Windows 10 extremely slow after format

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 extremely slow after format: I had a virus on Win10 so I decided to start again with a clean Win10 install, formatted the disk and it is painfully slow. I have to wait a couple of seconds after I click an app for it to open, which wasn't the case before the format. What could it be? Should I run...
  7. My games runs fine but after ~20min-ish of playing, they become so slow!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My games runs fine but after ~20min-ish of playing, they become so slow!: i have i7-4600M 2.90ghz processor 4g ram and two Gpus:- intet HDg 4600 - AMD radeon HD 8790M (im using a laptop) i think ive done everything that the internet said still nothing works... the problem is weird, every time the slow-down happened i...
  8. excel conditional formating

in Microsoft Office and 365
    excel conditional formating: Hi to all,,, I am using excel 2016 and I have a 2 rows of data of which the top row consists of W or L and the row underneath consists of numbers that can be a number from 1 to 8. If the top cell is an L and the cell below is >6 I want the selected cell to be formatted with a...
  9. Chrome GPU process?

in Browsers and Email
    Chrome GPU process?: If GPU process is supposed to offload browser tasks to the GPU why does it consume so many CPU cycles? What is your understanding of Chrome's GPU process and do you enable or disable it? 110700
  10. Excel Conditional formatting question.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel Conditional formatting question.: If I wanted to make a conditional formatting rule that would select all cells in a column [I2-I65] with a formula generated value less than 0.9 and greater than 1.1, ignoring all empty cells, what formula would I use? Thanks. 83089