Windows 10: Slow SD card reader after latest Win10 Creators Update (May 2017)

Discus and support Slow SD card reader after latest Win10 Creators Update (May 2017) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, My computer recently did the "Creators Update" and my USB 3.0 SD card reader speed dropped to about 1/3 of what it was before the update.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rgames, May 20, 2017.

1. rgames Win User

Slow SD card reader after latest Win10 Creators Update (May 2017)

Hello,

My computer recently did the "Creators Update" and my USB 3.0 SD card reader speed dropped to about 1/3 of what it was before the update. Before the update I could transfer video/photo at a rate of about 90 MB/s but now the maximum with the same cards and content is about 30 MB/s. Both read and write speeds were affected.

My external hard drives (also connected via USB 3.0) were not affected. Their read/write speeds remained the same.

Has anyone found a fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance,

:)

rgames, May 20, 2017
  2. Joan Pin Win User

Following Windows 10 Creators Upgrade - SD-Card reader driver no longer installs

Hi Peter,

Regarding your concern, we found out that the SD Card Reader that you're using is outdated and not compatible to the Windows Creators Update. To resolve your query, we suggest that you contact the card reader's manufacturer to ask for an updated driver that
    will be compatible on the latest update of Windows 10.

Keep this post updated for additional help.

Joan Pin, May 20, 2017
  3. SD card reader problem after updating to Windows 10

I replied to an earlier question with an alternative - buy a small sd card reader that uses the USB port.

I bought one on alibaba for 71 cents US delivered to Canada. It is small - 2" x 5/8" x 3/8". It runs at USB speed, or about what your SD card reader used to do.

May be a permanent solution or at least will let you read SD cards on your PC until they update the drivers.

How can anyone mail anything from China to Canada for 71 cents, let alone make any money on the reader? A real puzzle.

This works on an old laptop where the SD card reader has slowed do to 45 seconds per image and on a new laptop that has no SD card reader.

BrentBeach, May 20, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

What is the Make and Model# of your Computer/Motherboard?
    go to the Manufacturers Support/Download Drivers, type in your Make and Model# or Service Tag#, choose your version of 10 (ie) 32bit or 64bit. Download the SMBus Controller or Card Bus driver for your model.

spunk, May 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Slow SD card reader after latest Win10 Creators Update (May 2017) - Similar Threads - Slow card reader

2. SD Card reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SD Card reader: I have an external sd card reader and it wont work on my pc. It works on my laptop and other stuff but it only doesnt work on this pc. It only recognizes the sd card reader as USB3.0 Card Reader but it wont read the sd card at all. I even tried buying and using another sd...
  3. SD card reader?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD card reader?: Hello! I cant access my SD card Transcend SDHC 8GB. When I plug it into my laptop, it doesn't get recognized. I installed the driver software from the Dell website my computer is a Dell Inspiron 3543 and restarted it but nothings working, I cannot actually see the SD card...
  4. sd card reader

sd card reader: Hi, I have been running a lenovo Z70-80 with a partitioned hard drive with a windows 7 \ linux dual boot setup. It all worked fine until I upgraded to windows 10. After I updated all the drivers everything worked well except the sd card reader. This will keep disconnecting or...
  5. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: Hi Every SD card I plug in to my PC says it is Write Protected. I have tried everything I can find on internet to fix this but to no avail. Can anyone help please? 146468
  6. Sd Card reader

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sd Card reader: Can Someone help Me. Ive Tried Everything But My Sd card reader wont work. How do i get my laptop to recognize that there is even a Sd card in it . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/bc9ec34c-018b-485b-abbb-c6f2ec864929"
  7. SD Card Reader

SD Card Reader: I have Windows 10 and my SD card reader is not recognized. I have tried everything on the earlier post and none have worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/d927df68-eac3-4356-8c18-4cd339419e75
  8. sd card reader

sd card reader: My sd card reader isn't working .How can I get it back on ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sd-card-reader/a9ecbe8c-3206-454a-960a-8b6f6ce13e12
  9. Loss of SD card reader after Nov Win10 upgrade

Loss of SD card reader after Nov Win10 upgrade: From hours of searching, this seems to be a common problem with Win 10, tho' I've only just experienced it after the November 3 Gb "upgrade ?". I have a 5 year old Dell Studio XPS 435MT and the Dell support pages were useless. The solution might not be applicable to other...
  10. Dell U3011 SD card reader U/S after fall creators update

Dell U3011 SD card reader U/S after fall creators update: I have a Dell U3011 monitor which has an SD card reader. Since I installed the fall creators update (Win10 x64 Pro), the card reader is no longer functional. I've tried multiple SD cards, and none of them show as a drive. When I look in Device Manager, under USB Controllers I...