Windows 10: Slow startup times-unsure what is causing them

Discus and support Slow startup times-unsure what is causing them in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Not sure what is going on. Not a huge deal because once it is booted up things are snappy. Only reason I am worried about it mostly is if it is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by pittguy578, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Slow startup times-unsure what is causing them

Not sure what is going on. Not a huge deal because once it is booted up things are snappy.
    Only reason I am worried about it mostly is if it is a sign of something else bad.

My 10 Installation on my WD Black drive became corrupted. My backup Blue Drive was not corrupted. It had some issues with being slow to boot up. I thought it was totally because of fact it was heavily fragmented. Initial was 30% for some reason. I defragged the hell out of it and then moved it back to my black drive since it is faster. I thought once the defrag was done again on there it would boot up quickly again. Not the case. I have cleaned the registry. Did a DISM/RestoreHealth. Malware Check. Virus Check. Also disabled unnecessary services. Nothing seems to work. For example once I hit the password it may show a black screen temporarily for 30-45 seconds before desktop icons show up.

Any idea what could be causing this? In the past everything appeared pretty quickly once I typed in my password.

:)

pittguy578, Sep 15, 2015

2. Windows 10 random BSOD's - safe mode is fine(of course)

If you are not using them simply delete them, if unsure rename them and if they are necessary something will complain. In either case they are causing the crashes.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Sep 15, 2015
  3. DRH90 Win User
    Since I put win 10 NTVDM in the autoexec file seems to causing a VERY slow bootup. 30-45 min

Still not fix the boot issue but I did identify that the new version of SPYBOT was causing the slow running time while windows is open. Went back to windows defender. I check another computer for what was typed in the "Autoexec.bat" file and found nothing
    so I still believe that the autoexec and/or config.sys file is the startup problem. Can't erase them until I know that is it. I would like to edit the autoexec but I don't know what to put in for the file to work properly.

DRH90, Sep 15, 2015
  4. WhyMe Win User

Slow startup times-unsure what is causing them

My humble suggestion *Biggrin

What programs, devices, drivers etc are starting up on boot?

I recommend disabling the lot and seeing if she boots normally. If boot is quick again, then you can re-enable one-by-one to find what is slowing things down. If boot is still slow, then you can re-enable the lot and try and identify the problem elsewhere.

**End humble suggestion**

WhyMe, Sep 15, 2015
Thema:

Slow startup times-unsure what is causing them

1. Slow startup times-unsure what is causing them - Similar Threads - Slow startup times

2. Variety of different BSODs - unsure what's causing it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Variety of different BSODs - unsure what's causing it.: I've been having a variety of BSODs for the past few months and have no clue what is causing it. I've ran Driver Verifier and not gotten a BSOD and MemTest too.Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XMemory: 16GB RAM x2 8GB Corsair VengeanceSSD: Gigabyte GP gsm2ne3100tntdGPU: AMD Radeon...
  3. Variety of different BSODs - unsure what's causing it.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Variety of different BSODs - unsure what's causing it.: I've been having a variety of BSODs for the past few months and have no clue what is causing it. I've ran Driver Verifier and not gotten a BSOD and MemTest too.Specs:CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XMemory: 16GB RAM x2 8GB Corsair VengeanceSSD: Gigabyte GP gsm2ne3100tntdGPU: AMD Radeon...
  4. Variety of different BSODs - unsure what's causing it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unsure what caused this BSOD

Unsure what caused this BSOD: The error code was: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50what failed: UsbHub3.systhis occurred when I plugged something into my usb port, from what I understand this could be a corrupted driver but I haven't updated anything recently.This was what I got when I used windbg to view...
  6. Unsure what caused this BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsure what caused this BSOD: The error code was: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50what failed: UsbHub3.systhis occurred when I plugged something into my usb port, from what I understand this could be a corrupted driver but I haven't updated anything recently.This was what I got when I used windbg to view...
  7. Unsure what caused this BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Computer restarting randomly. Unsure what is causing it to restart.

Computer restarting randomly. Unsure what is causing it to restart.: This has been happening for the last week. I boot the computer and for a while it behaves normally when at random the computer will crash and go black screen and restart. Usually after the restart it is fine for the rest of the day. I have attempted to fix it myself with...
  9. Unsure what is causing this

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unsure what is causing this: [ATTACH] Trying to change the location to my new apps and this keeps popping up I am unsure of what is causing this exactly, and my account is an administrator on my pc. This is where I want it to got to. submitted by /u/One_of_many_masks [link] [comments]...
  10. Unsure whats causing BSoD "Memory Management"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsure whats causing BSoD "Memory Management": I recently built a new pc, the ssd was the only part reused from my old system. After about a day or two i started getting crashes only in destiny 2, no other game. Most of the crashes were the same but one time i got the BSoD with the Memory_Management stop code. I didnt do...