Windows 10: Slow startup Windows 10, then cannot access Explorer or Setups

Discus and support Slow startup Windows 10, then cannot access Explorer or Setups in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Strange. I noticed the problem with the cursor freezing had returned Win 10 ver 1903 with latest updates, so deleted the mouse driver and restarted.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by b4ab, Apr 15, 2020.

1. b4ab Win User

Slow startup Windows 10, then cannot access Explorer or Setups

Strange. I noticed the problem with the cursor freezing had returned Win 10 ver 1903 with latest updates, so deleted the mouse driver and restarted. That fixed the cursor problem. Later I was using a newly updated Topaz program that does AI sharpening of photos, and everything froze.

On restart, Win 10 took several minutes to open. When I couldn't open Explorer to see if the photo had saved, or Adobe Bridge to do the same, I decided to reset the system to an earlier date. That took a while because I couldn't immediately open Settings. But I found a way and reset to an earlier point. However, the slow start up and no access to Explorer continues. Stranger still is that Firefox opens more slowly than usual and I can use Gmail.

I haven't yet tried to open Uninstall Programs to eliminate the Topaz program I was using at the time of the original freeze, as the reset to an earlier date should have fixed that. The only problem I may have caused was to delete the earlier not-updated Topaz program by deleting it from the C: drive instead of uninstall programs. However, things worked normally after that deletion.

So I'm using a Dell 8700 with an i7 processor and 24gb of RAM, running Win 10 pro version 1903, which to date has performed very well.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

:)

2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 23, 2020
  3. Slow startup Windows 10, then cannot access Explorer or Setups

Hi there.

My name is Jocelyn, an independent advisor and a fellow Windows 10 user here to help.

I appreciate you for providing details about the issue.

For your slow performance issue please fo the following :

Step 1: Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed.

Select Start.

Go to Settings.

Select the Update and Security icon.

Choose Windows Update tab in the sidebar

Select Check for updates. Check for available updates, it will begin downloading automatically.

Step 2:

There could be many reasons why your computer running slow during start-up, sometimes a slow computer is caused by programs running in the background. Check and remove or disable any TSRs and startup programs that automatically start each time the computer
    boots.

Right-click on your taskbar (at the bottom of the screen) and open Task Manager. Click on the Startup tab, and review for any applications that may be set to run at startup.

Step 3: Delete temp files that can help improve computer performance.

Open the Start menu and type %temp% in the Search field.

Press Enter and a Temp folder should open.

You can delete all files found in this folder and, if any files are in use and cannot be deleted, they can be skipped.

Step 5: Run SFC Scannow

Press Windows Key+X to open the Power User Tasks Menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin).

After the User Account Control prompt appears. Click Yes.

At the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

Step 6: To Run Defrag

In the Windows Search box, on the taskbar, type defrag and select the Defragment and Optimize Drives option in the search results.

Click on the drive you want to defrag and optimize.

Click the Optimize button to being the defragmentation and optimization process.

Step 4: Run a Virus Scan

Download, install and run a full scan with the most powerful free scanner Malwarebytes:

In the Malwarebytes Settings > Security tab set it to include scanning for Rootkits.

Malwarebytes Download - Free Virus Scan & Virus Protection Tool

Download, install and run a full scan with AdwCleaner:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcl...

Please run a full scan with these free anti-malware software if it detects anything and it will get rid of for you. You can uninstall the program after the scan or after the trial expires.

You can also visit this article from Microsoft to improve PC performance in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/400201...

For File Explorer issue, please refer to the article below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/408737...

If none of the, fix you can run a Repair Install which reinstalls Windows while keeping your files, programs by installing the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft Website. This will solve most problems and also bring it up to the latest version.

I hope this information help. Let us know if you need anything else.

Kind Regards,

Jocelyn

JocelynYbanez, May 23, 2020
  4. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Slow startup Windows 10, then cannot access Explorer or Setups - Similar Threads - Slow startup cannot

2. Cannot access File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access File Explorer: My laptop wouldn't start properly yesterday but did eventually. When I logged in as normal all was ok, I checked outlook but it wouldn't load, nor would any MS Excel/Word etc. Also my Kaspersky Password Manager wouldn't work. File Explorer also wouldn't work.I checked for...
  3. Windows 10 slow startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 slow startup: Hi,My windows 10 boots very slowly. I don't have anything in startup folder. Overall the windows 10 is good only the problem is it boots very slowly. I recently reset my windows 10. I have ran sfc/scannow, ran chkdsk and also ran memory diagnostic. I have updated all drivers...
  4. Windows 10 slow startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 slow startup: Hi,My windows 10 boots very slowly. I don't have anything in startup folder. Overall the windows 10 is good only the problem is it boots very slowly. I recently reset my windows 10. I have ran sfc/scannow, ran chkdsk and also ran memory diagnostic. I have updated all drivers...
  5. Windows 10 slow startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. windows 10 slow startup

windows 10 slow startup: the ongoing anomaly of windows 10 slow startup....I reduced the problem from 5 minutes or more to 90 seconds by doing 2 things mentioned in other fixes by users on this site...windows o/s will confound me till the end of time A layman's solution....criticism not...
  7. File access via Windows explorer slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File access via Windows explorer slow: Any file access via Windows explorer Windows 10 has become painfully slow in the last week or so. This happens if I am just expanding the file tree on the left or if I am clicking on a file. It also affects any open or save actions from within programs. Things to note are:...
  8. slow startup in Windows 10

slow startup in Windows 10: It takes between 7 and 15 minutes from the time I push the power button until the log in page appears. I've tried updating everything and turning off apps that come on at start up. I've contacted customer support, but they couldn't fix the problem....
  9. Windows 10 Slow startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Slow startup: HP Laptop 15-bs0xx with HDD hard drive and Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 single graphics, windows startup has gone from less than 30 seconds to nearly 5 minutes. I have already tried several methods such as 1) disabling the unnecessary startups programs 2) freeing enough free...
  10. windows 10 slow startup

windows 10 slow startup: I have issues in startup its taking too much time with black screen before login. I checked event viewer to see what is taking that much time and that was the result: This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system...