Windows 10: Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection

Discus and support Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I run Linux from a flash drive, I get the correct speeds. 900+ up and down. In windows my upload stays around 40 when the download speed is 900+.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MPlogSWDev, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection

If I run Linux from a flash drive, I get the correct speeds. 900+ up and down. In windows my upload stays around 40 when the download speed is 900+. Any thoughts would be appreciated! BTW, I'm using an ethernet connection. Not Wi-Fi.

:)

MPlogSWDev, Jan 18, 2022
  2. DonaldW Win User

Sudden large disparity between download & upload speeds.

(First post: Win 10 1809) Hello. I have encountered what seems to me to be a strange phenomenon: Recently upgraded to "1000 Mbps" fiber internet provider. Initial speeds for both download and upload speeds spread across the 900's, with upload speeds consistently a bit higher than download speeds. Yesterday one desktop seemed to have internet connectivity issues. I noted that the desktops Ethernet connection had for some reason adopted the name of one of our wireless routers: What had been "Network 2" was now "(SSID) 2".

This Dell XPS desktop (Win 10 Pro 64b, Version 1809) has both wired and wireless network connections, with the later used to connect to various peripherals. When I checked into Speedtest.net, Download speeds remained in the 900's, but upload speeds dropped below 50 Mbps. I went though various network troubleshooting steps and a number of restarts, this disparity persisted. Other than the lack of a name change to wired network connection, this disparity was also obtained on another desktop on the same network. However, speed checks on iOS tablet reveled no disparity whatsoever, suggesting that the phenomenon is limited to Windows machines.

Given my naive and limited understanding of Windows networking, I was hoping someone might help me to better understand the issue and, perhaps, suggest a fix.

DonaldW, Jan 18, 2022
  3. Slow upload speed

I have a cable service which is supposed to provide download speed of 300 Mbps and upload speed of 20 Mbps. My PC is connected to the service providers modem via an ethernet cable. I recently had a problem with both speeds being ultra low. A technician
    visited and traced the problem to a broken copper wire tip on the input cable to the modem. He cut the end off the cable and crimped a new connector on. He ran some tests presumably to check that no other faults existed, reconnected the cable to the modem
    and both speeds ran within the correct ranges.

The next day I decided to run a speed test and the download speed was fine but the upload speed was very low (down to 1.9 Mbps).

being curious I disconnected the infeed cable to the modem and checked the new connection. Everything looked fine so i reconnected the cable and ran another speed test. Both speeds were back up where they should be.

The next day I ran another speed test and the upload speed was low again. This time disconnecting and reconnecting the input cable to the modem did not resolve the problem.

Sorry for being so long winded here but my technical knowledge is rather limited and I prefer not to play with things I do not understand, but my question, "should I be concerned about the slow upload speed?" It does not appear to be causing any great problem
    but the technician who visited did indicate that a slow upload speed could cause other problems with the modem, such as it automatically rebooting itself. This has occurred twice since the slow upload speed came back.

Other than going back to the service provider and waiting until they can send another technician out, is there anything I can do myself to resolve the problem?

mumbogumbo, Jan 18, 2022
  4. Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection

ReubenFaleiro, Jan 18, 2022
Thema:

Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection

1. Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection - Similar Threads - Slow upload speed

2. Slow upload speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow upload speed: My PC internet upload speed is limited to 5Mb/s for some reason. It is limited both on the wifi and over ethernet.I've tried both the ethernet cable and wifi and both limit my speed to 5Mb/s. The weird thing is that I have a NAS connected to the same network, and I can upload...
  3. slow upload speed

slow upload speed: Fast download but extremely slow upload speed, less than .2 Mbps. Well over 30 Mbps in safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-upload-speed/681b3aa1-93a9-4e67-82ae-4babdb3c65d4
  4. slow upload speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    slow upload speed: Fast download but extremely slow upload speed, less than .2 Mbps. Well over 30 Mbps in safe mode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-upload-speed/681b3aa1-93a9-4e67-82ae-4babdb3c65d4
  5. Windows 10 slow upload speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 slow upload speeds: Since moving to a new network my Windows 10 computer has had terrible upload speeds 0.2 - 0.5 according to the m-labs speedtest that appears on google and in general bad loading times. Youtibe videos always buffer and websites take forever to load.I have tested every port on...
  6. Windows 10 slow upload speeds

Windows 10 slow upload speeds: Since moving to a new network my Windows 10 computer has had terrible upload speeds 0.2 - 0.5 according to the m-labs speedtest that appears on google and in general bad loading times. Youtibe videos always buffer and websites take forever to load.I have tested every port on...
  7. Windows 10 slow upload speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection: If I run Linux from a flash drive, I get the correct speeds. 900+ up and down. In windows my upload stays around 40 when the download speed is 900+. Any thoughts would be appreciated! BTW, I'm using an ethernet connection. Not Wi-Fi....
  9. Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection

Slow upload speed with Windows 10 with Fiber Connection: If I run Linux from a flash drive, I get the correct speeds. 900+ up and down. In windows my upload stays around 40 when the download speed is 900+. Any thoughts would be appreciated! BTW, I'm using an ethernet connection. Not Wi-Fi....
  10. slow upload speed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    slow upload speed: Have 3 computers on network. 2 have good upload of 2KB the other has upload of 0.1. Any suggestion to improve the upload by alteration of settings or anything else. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-upload-speed/9d1163f2-f95f-4cb1-85f5-5387127f331a