Windows 10: Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed

Discus and support Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I recently bought a Seagate 5TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch hard drive. I have a few other drives of the same make and type. I'm trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hedgywedgy, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed

Hi,

I recently bought a Seagate 5TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch hard drive. I have a few other drives of the same make and type. I'm trying to transfer 2TB worth of data between the hard drives. The 2 hard drives are connected to a USB 3.0 Hub. When transferring data. The transfer starts at around 125MB and then drops to 0MB around 8-10% in progress.

I have tried:

- using a different USB 3.0 hub

- using a different cable connecting the HDD to the USB 3.0 hub

- updating the USB drivers

- formatting the drives to NTFS

- transferring a smaller amount of data of around 5GB, the same happens, fast then drop to zero

- changing the device removal properties for better performance

How do I fix this. On searching the internet alot of people have my issues but there does not seem to be a fix. I have had no issues in the past doing this until recently.

I have a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 Pro, version 1903, build 18362.418 installed 31/07/19

Thanks for any replies or help in advance.

:)

hedgywedgy, Oct 13, 2019
  2. alecm3 Win User

USB 3.0 transfer speed drops to 0 only on one port. USB port and external drive are NOT defective.

I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop with two USB 3.0 ports. I connect a Seagate expansion drive to the left USB port and transfer a 4GB test file. It transfers about 1GB at 150MB/s and then transfer speed drops to 0. Then it picks up again after 3-4minutes, then
    drops again intermittently.

I connect the same Seagate drive to the right USB port. The same 4GB file transfers with a constant speed of approximately 150MB/s. Thus the Seagate drive is not defective. Perhaps the left USB port is defective.

I connect a Sandisk 128GB flash drive to the left USB port (that is now suspected defective). It transfers the same 4GB file with constant 130MB/s speed, no speed drops!

Each step is reproducible 10x.

I am out of my wits here.

alecm3, Oct 13, 2019
  3. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I
    have aren't slow like this one is even with the same USB interface.

I have it set for better performance not quick removal and indexing is turned off. I bought this drive as an external USB HD and it’s 2.0 USB. I put it back in it’s original case and that didn’t help. It certainly wasn’t this slow with XP or WIN 7. Any suggestions?

G M Peters, Oct 13, 2019
  4. Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed

2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I have aren't slow like this one is even with the same USB interface.

I have it set for better performance not quick removal and indexing is turned off. I bought this drive as an external USB HD and it’s 2.0 USB. I put it back in it’s original case and that didn’t help. It certainly wasn’t this slow with XP or WIN 7. Any suggestions?

GerryPeters, Oct 13, 2019
Thema:

Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed

1. Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed - Similar Threads - Slow USB transfer

2. Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10: I had the same slow speed problem as discussed in other threads. My problem was exactly to same. Slow speed 355 kb and then down to 0. I did a full format on the drive it took about 4 days but now the drive works properly. I was able to use a different USB drive which worked...
  3. Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10: I had the same slow speed problem as discussed in other threads. My problem was exactly to same. Slow speed 355 kb and then down to 0. I did a full format on the drive it took about 4 days but now the drive works properly. I was able to use a different USB drive which worked...
  4. Slow transfer speeds to USB on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Slow speed transfer USB 3.0 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow speed transfer USB 3.0 on Windows 10: I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ALC6 laptop but right now I'm facing a issue with Windows 10.When I try to transfer files to my external drive which is a WD Elements 2TB using the USB 3.0 port, i only get about 87MB/s to 104MB/s at maximum speed transfer. It turns out I have...
  6. Slow speed transfer USB 3.0 on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow speed transfer USB 3.0 on Windows 10: I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 3 15ALC6 laptop but right now I'm facing a issue with Windows 10.When I try to transfer files to my external drive which is a WD Elements 2TB using the USB 3.0 port, i only get about 87MB/s to 104MB/s at maximum speed transfer. It turns out I have...
  7. Slow speed transfer USB 3.0 on Windows 10

8. USB transfer speed has slowed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB transfer speed has slowed: When I bought my new laptop, my 2.0 USB connected to the 3.0 port would give around 35MB/s speed but after a few months I plugged in a USB and started transferring 2GB mp4 file to USB but now my transfer speed of 2.0 USB connected to 3.0 port is at 3 MB/s.Need help Thanks in...
  9. USB Transfer speed very slow on windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Transfer speed very slow on windows 10: I am trying to transfer some files from my PC to flash drive and it is transferring the files very slowly. The speed it is giving is around 3-4 MB/s only. I have checked my flash drive on another computer and it is working fine. I tried reinstalling windows and it worked. I...
  10. My usb transfer speeds are considerably slow

My usb transfer speeds are considerably slow: I have tried updating my drivers but dont consider that. You can suggest a link to the drivers that might solve the problem. My laptop is Lenovo Ideapad 310-15Ikb...