Windows 10: Slow USB Drive File Transfer

Discus and support Slow USB Drive File Transfer in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello All Some reason both my most used systems having slow usb drive file transfer, Desktop & Laptop, Desktop is brand new motherboard, processor,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AMDMan2016, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Slow USB Drive File Transfer

Hello All

Some reason both my most used systems having slow usb drive file transfer, Desktop & Laptop, Desktop is brand new motherboard, processor, and not yet a clean install ((soon will do one soon as i can)), but right now just wanna improve usb drive performance if i can, and not wait 6-7 hours for Macrium reflect backup to finish, like it's doing now on Laptop

Desktop took me 8 hours to transfer 230gb of music from usb 3.1 drive. Any idea why? or how i can speed it up

:)

AMDMan2016, Jul 11, 2020
  2. Jessen P Win User

USB Drive 64gb can't transfer a 10gb file.

Hi,

Please answer the questions mentioned below in order to assist you in a better way.

• Did you try transferring the same file to another USB drive and check if the error persists?
    • Did you try to transfer another file of the same size to the USB drive?
    FAT32 file system does not support that large size of file transfer. As you rightly mentioned you have to convert the file system to NTFS for such huge file transfers to take place.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Jul 11, 2020
  3. PUCLLC Win User
    Incredibly Slow USB File Transfer

My work purchased a bunch of Surface units, we are all having the same issue with file transfers using the "docking station".

Any flash drive to flash drive/external unit plugged into the "docking station" is extremely slow. So I insert the USB flash drive down load it to my surface desktop, then upload it to my external hard drive. using the "Surface USB Port" it's as easy as
    copy paste.

"Do not attempt to transfer anything using the docking station" you will time out or wait forever!!!

Serious glitch with them.

PUCLLC, Jul 11, 2020
  4. Slow USB Drive File Transfer

USB Transfer speed very slow on windows 10

Try with this

Method 1

Change Hardware Settings for Better Performance

The hardware settings require the external hard drive to remove from your machine safely, so safely disconnect your drive from the computer after finishing all the steps.

Step 1. Open Windows File Explorer and locate your external hard drive. Right-click the external drive icon and choose "Properties" from the drop-down menu.

Step 2. Choose "Hardware" tab, which will display the list of all disks mounted on the particular computer. Select the desired disk you want to improve its transfer performance and click "Properties" at the bottom of the window.

Step 3. In the device properties window select "Change settings".

Step 4. A disk window will pop up. Click the "Policies" tab and select "Optimize for performance".

Step 5. Be alert. You must disconnect the device safely. Right-click the tray icon and click "Safely remove USB Mass Storage Device".

Method 2

Turn off Auto-Tuning Feature in Windows 10

Don't let the auto-tuning feature retards the file transfer speed in Windows 10. You can only disable the feature by five steps.

Step 1. Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt(Admin).

Step 2. Type "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled" and press Enter.

Step 3. Now try to transfer the files and check the data transfer speed.

Step 4. Again go to Command Prompt(Admin) and type "netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal" and press Enter. This will turn on the Auto-tuning again.

Method 3

Check and Repair System Errors

Corrupted Windows 10 file system could disable, interrupt or slow down the file transfer speed, so let's use the System Maintenance Troubleshooter to repair the wrong files.

Step 1. Open Control Panel and click on the Troubleshooting icon.

Step 2. Select View all in the top left corner.

Step 3. Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter.

Method 4

Turn Off RDC

RDC or Remote Differential Compression has a similar goal but it utilizes alternative ways to help you synchronize large chunks of data. It compresses the data during the network sync, but it can also be a drawback. That’s why we suggest disabling it. If the
    problem isn’t solved, you can always re-enable it and move onwards through the list.

Here’s how to turn off RDC:

Step 1. In the Windows Search bar, type Turn Windows and open Turn Windows features on or off.

Step 2. Scroll down and uncheck the “Remote Differential Compression API support” box.

Step 3. Confirm changes.

Method 5

Disable Drive Indexing

In order to speed up the access to files stored on the local storage, Windows offers Drive Indexing. When enabled, this feature will index all files and substantially reduce the waiting time when you search for them in File Explorer. This is a great feature
    if you have dozens of similar files which and helps you distinguish them and access them quicker than usual.

However, even though it should work when PC is idle, it sometimes doesn’t. And you can imagine how it can slow the data transfer if starts indexing files while the copying is still at hand.

For that reason, we suggest disabling it. At least temporarily. Here’s how to do it:

Step 1. Open This PC or File Explorer.

Step 2. Right-click on the partition you want to relieve of indexing and open Properties.

Step 3. Uncheck the “Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties” box and restart your PC.

Method 6

Disable your antivirus

In a similar manner, as Drive Indexing can slow down copying, an antivirus might, as well. Of course, instead of indexing, it’s real-time engine might scan them for malware presence. Besides slowing down the transfer, it can also affect the whole system and
    hog on the resources. Which adds up to an already heavy burden. That’s the reason why you should disable it until all files are transferred. Obviously, you would want to enable it afterward.

Here’s how to disable Windows Defender:

Step 1. Open Windows Defender Action Center from the notification area.

Step 2. Choose Virus & threat protection.

Step 3. Under the Virus & threat protection settings, click Manage settings.

Step 4. Toggle off Real-time protection.

MarvinStewart1, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

Slow USB Drive File Transfer

1. Slow USB Drive File Transfer - Similar Threads - Slow USB Drive

2. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  3. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  4. PC is very slow transferring files to USB drive, but copying FROM the drive is fine - why?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC is very slow transferring files to USB drive, but copying FROM the drive is fine - why?: Hi, I've just built a new PC and I'd like to move files between the PC and an external SSD Sandisk Extreme Portable 1TB. I'm able to copy files from the SSD to the PC without any problem. The transfer speed is around 300MB/s using a USB 3.2 port.I can also copy individual...
  5. transfer MP4 to USB Drive, after transferred file not accessible

transfer MP4 to USB Drive, after transferred file not accessible: Dear All i try to copy 1 MP4 file from c: to USB, but after file complete copy to USB, file become not accessible i check the origianl file it was fine can open VDO new file in USB Size equal to Original file and it take reasonable time to copy file...
  6. Slow file transfer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow file transfer: I have an issue with slow file transfer (windows 10). I am almost sure it has nothing to do with the network settings. I have one application and: 1.If launched from local drive works perfect 2.If launched from mapped drive (same folder on the same hdd) works very slow 3.If...
  7. USB transfer speed has slowed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB transfer speed has slowed: When I bought my new laptop, my 2.0 USB connected to the 3.0 port would give around 35MB/s speed but after a few months I plugged in a USB and started transferring 2GB mp4 file to USB but now my transfer speed of 2.0 USB connected to 3.0 port is at 3 MB/s.Need help Thanks in...
  8. Transfer of files from c drive to usb drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    Transfer of files from c drive to usb drive: How to transfer files from C drove to USB drive if the windows is not booting due to some issues in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-of-files-from-c-drive-to-usb-drive/de8664a6-4343-4568-b253-1cf09bbb586a
  9. Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow USB 3.0 transfer speed: Hi, I recently bought a Seagate 5TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 inch hard drive. I have a few other drives of the same make and type. I'm trying to transfer 2TB worth of data between the hard drives. The 2 hard drives are connected to a USB 3.0 Hub. When transferring...
  10. Slow USB Transfer rate

Slow USB Transfer rate: My lappie has USB3 ports. Or course I know the clock down to whatever device you attach. I have a 500G Seagate External rated at USB2. Meaning my transfers should be 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps), correct? So why am I getting half that...