Windows 10: Slow Wi-Fi speed on Laptop, normal on other devices

Discus and support Slow Wi-Fi speed on Laptop, normal on other devices in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; As the title indicates, this laptop in particular is receiving really slow internet even though the signal strength is at maximum. I've made sure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by WindowsUser1997, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Slow Wi-Fi speed on Laptop, normal on other devices

As the title indicates, this laptop in particular is receiving really slow internet even though the signal strength is at maximum.

I've made sure that the Network Adapters are up to date ( Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260, version 18.40.4), but it didn't seem to fix the problem.

I don't really know how to go about the problem except by updating the drivers, so I have no clue what information/data to give out.

:)

WindowsUser1997, Jul 17, 2016

2. WI FI SPEED SLOW DOWN AFTER UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10

I have wi-fi router having Ethernet as well as wi-fi port, on LAN internet speed is good i.e. same as win 8.1. But on WI-FI port internet speed is slow down.

I have Macfee Antivirus i.e. came along with Laptop.

NEETHASHIRGAVE, Jul 17, 2016
  3. Justinut Win User
    Windows 10 slow wi-fi

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When I connect to my home wi-fi I get download speeds of about 0.3mbps. My upload speed is normal. If I use my phone as a hotspot I get normal download speeds (about 10mbps) and I brought my laptop to my
    brother' and on his wi-fi I also got about 10mbps. With Windows 7 my download speed at home over wi-fi was somewhere around 20mbps. So the issue isn't likely to be driver related. There is something between my router and laptop. When I use an ethernet cable
    to connect to my router my download speed is around 30mbps. Is there some router settings that Windows 10 does not like? Or is there some other cause of this issue?

Justinut, Jul 17, 2016
  4. Grizzly Win User

Slow Wi-Fi speed on Laptop, normal on other devices

First of all, which band are you using?? the 2.4GHz or the 5GHz??
    Do you have DHCP active or a static IP for the wireless card? DHCP is usually active by default.
    Have you made a speed test yet on either band?? please post results.

you sure have the latest driver but it does not mean they are the best...

Grizzly, Jul 17, 2016
  5. I'm not really sure how to obtain those information.

6. So I went to my last resort and did a system reboot. It's working pretty well for now. Thanks for your help anyway.

7. UPDATE: Hmmm... that's interesting. I did an Intel Utility Driver Check after reformatting my laptop and it gave me version 18.20 of the Network Adapter, not 18.40 (before rebooting my pc kept giving me 18.40 - which was the latest). That was probably what fixed it so you kinda helped in a way lol

Thanks again

8. Grizzly Win User

Well, the version 18.20 is most likely the one, windows update has in store.
    To get the information I had asked for: Rightclick on the Network symbol in the Taskbar and open "Network and sharing center".
    In the middle you see your active network and on the right side you see the connections "Wi-Fi (your network name). click on that.
    A new windows opens and shows your Wifi status (IP4 connectivity, IP6 connectivity, media state, SSID (your network), duration , speed and signal quality).
    Clicking on details shows you the description of your network adapter, the physical address, and if DHCP is enabled or not (usually it is). after that it shows a bunch of numbers which is the IP address of your computer, the subnet mask and gateway. the rest is right now not important.
    this of course will not let you know what band you are in but there is a hint. remember when I told you about your network status?? there was one option that said "Speed".
    Now the 2,4GHz band can only do max 300Mbps while the 5GHz band can do way faster (up to 1Gbps).
    Here is a little more info : IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here you can do a speed test: speedtest.net

I hope this helps you a little....

Grizzly, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Slow Wi-Fi speed on Laptop, normal on other devices - Similar Threads - Slow speed Laptop

2. Normal internet, extremely slow upload and download speeds on laptop but not any other device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Normal internet, extremely slow upload and download speeds on laptop but not any other device: I was installing a game on steam when my download speed dropped from 46 Mbps to 2-4 Mbps. I have scanned for malware, restarted my router, and flushed the DNS. I have also updated my drivers. However, my phone, in the same room, has 200-300 Mbps download and upload speed, and...
  3. Normal internet, extremely slow upload and download speeds on laptop but not any other device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Normal internet, extremely slow upload and download speeds on laptop but not any other device: I was installing a game on steam when my download speed dropped from 46 Mbps to 2-4 Mbps. I have scanned for malware, restarted my router, and flushed the DNS. I have also updated my drivers. However, my phone, in the same room, has 200-300 Mbps download and upload speed, and...
  4. Laptop can't access wi-fi but other devices can

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop can't access wi-fi but other devices can: My laptop suddenly couldn't access our internet connection even if it was connected to the router. I checked and the other devices in our house can use the internet properly. I already tried solutions mentioned in articles resetting connection settings, uninstalling and...
  5. Wi-Fi receiving speed is high but it is working slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi receiving speed is high but it is working slow: So my question is that when I open task manager and see the network speed, it is around 10Mbps, but when I open Chrome and load websites; they load slowly, so I run speed tests on websites like fast.com and speedtest.net, the speed stays between 0.5-1Mbps. While these tests...
  6. Slow Wi-Fi internet Speed on PC

Slow Wi-Fi internet Speed on PC: Hi, I'm having persistent problems with slow Internet speeds via Wi-Fi on my PC as compared to my mobile phone and laptop . When I run speed test on the three devices that are in the same position in the house I get the following :- device download speed upload...
  7. Slow Wi-FI speed after network reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Wi-FI speed after network reset: So I've been having a lot of issues with my laptops network connection ever since I bought it about six months ago. It is an MSI I7 9750H but I am not sure of the exact model. To start whenever I would startup a game and get to about 20 seconds of active use, it would boot me...
  8. Wi-Fi Speed

Wi-Fi Speed: I'm new to win 10, how can I get the interface WiFi to tell me the speed of it? Thanks, Alex https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wi-fi-speed/4cf93055-5685-4352-8878-58fae7af66b6
  9. Slow Wi Fi speed

Slow Wi Fi speed: I have Windows 10 on my DELL Inspiron 2020 PC. When connected to the router using the LAN cable I get very good download speed. However when I connect using Wi Fi the speed is very slow. My drivers are updated. What should I do ?...
  10. No Wi-Fi through router but other Wi-Fi devices work

No Wi-Fi through router but other Wi-Fi devices work: Hi folks! As the title suggests, and I'm sure my post count will confirm, this is my first post on the forums here. I'm having issues after an OS recovery with one of my Windows 10 machines. When I attempt to connect to my wireless router, it shows "Connected, Secured" but...