Windows 10: Slow WiFi until Change Setting On Adapter. Then Eventually Slows Again

Discus and support Slow WiFi until Change Setting On Adapter. Then Eventually Slows Again in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All, I have a very weird problem and after some help if possible. I have a rock-solid 100Mbit cable connection and my laptop is only a couple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mikeyjames, May 10, 2020.

1. Slow WiFi until Change Setting On Adapter. Then Eventually Slows Again

Hi All,
    I have a very weird problem and after some help if possible.

I have a rock-solid 100Mbit cable connection and my laptop is only a couple of metres away from the wireless router.

I check the speed at Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and get an unstable speed reading that peaks at about 40Mbit. I will retest 10 times to ensure the reading is accurate.

I then go to Device Manager and open up the properties of the Wifi Adapter and change any setting (such as preferred band) and hit 'ok', the adapter seems to restart.

I then go to Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and it is a rock solid 98-99Mbit for 10 tests.

After a while, it will eventually slow back down again. The only solution is to go back to device manager change a setting in the WiFi adapter again, which immediately speeds it back up.

What I have Tried:
    Tried multiple drivers for Wifi Adapter.
    System File Check
    Fresh install of Windows 10 (last week for another issue)
    Disable DHCP and Set manual IP from PC settings
    Reserved an IP on router side
    Just about every combination of settings in Wifi Adapter

Any ideas what could be causing this behaviour?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Mick

----------------
    Acer Predator Helios 700 Laptop
    Win 10 Pro (Latest update v2004 - yesterday)
    Intel 9980HK (normally clocked)
    Geforce RTX 2080 (normally clocked)
    Wifi - Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (latest drivers)
    Router - Netgear WNDR4500

:)

mikeyjames, May 10, 2020

2. Slow Wifi

Really sorry for the late reply I was locked out from this account and it has taken me a few attempts to get back on.

The wifi is slow right from the start, I did a full reboot this evening and it was still slow.

This evening I have followed all of the steps here, although this post seemed to be resolved due to a non compatible range improver there were a lot steps that seem to be repeated in other forums.

VERY Slow Internet After Upgrade to 10 - Windows 10 Help Forums

Rather than have anyone who is willing to help have to read through it all the main points are below:

Reinstalled drivers

Set Windows to automatically find drivers - all up to date

Run Troubleshoot - no problems

Ran Cmd prompt - netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

There was another suggested fix:

1) Go to Network and Sharing Center

2) Change adapter settings

3) Right click on Wi-Fi adapter, select properties

4) Click on configure, then go to advanced tab

5)Property:802.11n Value: 20/40 Auto

But I don't have this as an option only 802.11d

I can only think the network adapter isn't compatible with windows 10. Any help that can be given is greatly appreciated.

TimTimTimmah, May 10, 2020
  3. Marby Rey Win User
    Wifi Very Slow

Hi,

The following are some reasons that may cause of the slow WiFi connection.

• Corrupted or incompatible drivers.
    • Missing updates.
    • Network connection settings.
    • Hardware or software problems.
    • Inappropriate distance from the router or obstruction.
    • Interference with other devices.

To isolate the concern, have you checked if the issue persists with other devices? For now, we suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps provided in this
    article.

Marby Rey, May 10, 2020
  4. koda.72 Win User

Slow WiFi until Change Setting On Adapter. Then Eventually Slows Again

Surface Pro 4 WiFi Slow Connectivity

Changing the Preamble on my Nighthawk router fixed my slow wifi on my SP4 also. THANKS!!!!!

koda.72, May 10, 2020
Thema:

Slow WiFi until Change Setting On Adapter. Then Eventually Slows Again

1. Slow WiFi until Change Setting On Adapter. Then Eventually Slows Again - Similar Threads - Slow WiFi until

2. Wifi adapter slow download speed on boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi adapter slow download speed on boot.: I have an Archer T3U Plus USB adapter, connecting to an Archer A7 router. Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. After boot I show connected to 5g network, but the download speed is very poor. I immediately uninstall the adapter and scan for new hardware. The adapter is found, and...
  3. Wifi adapter slow download speed on boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi adapter slow download speed on boot.: I have an Archer T3U Plus USB adapter, connecting to an Archer A7 router. Running Windows 10 Pro 64bit. After boot I show connected to 5g network, but the download speed is very poor. I immediately uninstall the adapter and scan for new hardware. The adapter is found, and...
  4. Wifi adapter slow download speed on boot.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. slow internet on killer wifi and external adapter

slow internet on killer wifi and external adapter: Windows 10:I'm trying to figure out why I'm the same exact speeds on two different network adapters. My phone next to my laptop is clocking in almost 300mbpsmy onboard NIC and my external dual band adapter are both clocking 30mbps or less. The upload speed is the same for all...
  6. Wifi Adapter very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Wifi Adapter very slow: Hai, right now i'm using Acer Aspire E14 with additional usb wifi adapter by TOTO LINK, when I using google or youtube with my laptop, sometimes I often experiencing very slow internet speed, it doesn't happened on my smartphone, so I conclude that this must be something...
  7. Wifi Slow to Boot 2 Wifi Adapters Installed

Wifi Slow to Boot 2 Wifi Adapters Installed: Hello, So when I restart my computer it takes about 2 minutes for my wifi adapter to connect. I have two Wifi adapters. One that came on the motherboard and one I bought external for Wifi6. I am not sure if this is the reason it takes so long to connect after a restart or...
  8. Computer slow then fast then slow again?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer slow then fast then slow again?: Recently my computer has been running insufferably slow for a few days (taking a minute to load programs and even webpages) and yesterday all of a sudden, its really fast (the minute became literally a second). This morning when I used it for the first time, its noticeably...
  9. Windows 10 wifi slows down until reboot

Windows 10 wifi slows down until reboot: Hello i have noticed a problem with my Lenovo Legion laptop After a while the internet connection completely slows down to the point it is pretty unusable, however a simple reboot fixes he issue until of course it slows again over time. i've tried lots of things to rectify...
  10. Windows 10 wifi slows down until reboot

Windows 10 wifi slows down until reboot: Hello i have noticed a problem with my Lenovo Legion laptop After a while the internet connection completely slows down to the point it is pretty unusable, however a simple reboot fixes he issue until of course it slows again over time. i've tried lots of things to rectify...