Windows 10: Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file

Discus and support Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; After BIOS Post, the screen sits at the Windows Logo spinning for about 80-90 seconds before then moving to the login screen. This is after either a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Danielmk8, May 7, 2020.

1. Danielmk8 Win User

Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file

After BIOS Post, the screen sits at the Windows Logo spinning for about 80-90 seconds before then moving to the login screen. This is after either a cold boot or restart. In the ETL, I am not seeing a long Pre Session boot, Session Initialize, Winlogon, or ExplorerInit. My OS SSD is a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB that is a couple years old, but I don't think that the performance should be this bad. Not sure what else to try at this point. Could someone help me out?

System Specs:
    I5-6600K at stock clock settings
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming Z4 Motherboard
    G.Skill 3200 16 GB RAM
    GTX 1070 TI @ stock settings and GTX 1050 TI
    Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SU800 1TB
    WD Blue 1TB HDD
    Corsair RM750i 750W PSU

Troubleshooting Steps:
    Disabled Fast Boot
    Hibernate is disabled
    Updated Drivers BIOS, GPU, and used DriveEasy to see what drivers were out of date
    Disabled unnecessary startup services/processes
    Checked SSD health
    Performed a Recovery reset of Windows 10
    Downgraded from Windows 10 1909 to 1903
    Switched SATA ports
    Switched SATA cable

Ran Windows Performance Toolkit to get a ETL, but not really seeing anything outstanding.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t_tDMaAZjAQtZr0dTo_yEWbTlsMuJf5R/view

:)

Danielmk8, May 7, 2020
  2. zinou Win User

Win10 Slow boot time. Help debug with Windows Performance Analyzer

Hi,

I think that the issue is caused by the "Generic HDD SCSI Disk Device" driver

Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file [​IMG]

you have 8 disk drive attached to your computer:
    1. Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
    2. Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
    3. ST4000DM004-2CV104
    4. TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
    5. WDC WD20EARX-008FB0
    6. Generic HDD SCSI Disk Device
    7. Seagate BUP BK SCSI Disk Device
    8. Kingston DT Elite G2 USB Device

I would suggest you uninstall the Generic driver from the device manager;
    • Open device manager and display the hidden devices;
    • Generic "HDD SCSI Disk Device" under disk driver and uninstall it.

Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file [​IMG]

zinou, May 7, 2020
  3. janjan Win User
    Win10 Slow boot time. Help debug with Windows Performance Analyzer

My win10 has a long boot time -approx. 1 minute till boot main path ends.
    I am trying to figure out what causes this long boot delay.
    I also use Acronis boot manager. This is a pre boot sequence which happens before windows boot starts. The recording I refer to happened after the acronis boot.
    This fits the actual time measurements I did which excluded the initial acronis loader.
    I counted the time it takes for the initial ‘boot turning dots’ and it fits the Boot Main Path time which is ~52sec.
    Part of this is due to autochk.exe (14 seconds) which keeps running every time.
    But I don’t understand what happens between Boot-Pre_fetch to Boot-sessioninit-phase? These are 21 seconds.

Basically I’d like some guidance here as to what I should do/try

I should also note that i found that:
    'autochk.exe' starts all the time. I’ve already tried to disable it using chkntfs /X C: D: E: F: (all my drives) and I see that under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager the autocheck for these drives is disabled

What happens between Boot-Pre_fetch to Boot-sessioninit-phase? Which process is causing the delay as i can't find anything in the report.

Memory usage is at 100% from boot start to winlogon? See the 2nd snapshot.

There are 'unkown items' in the Disk Usage report (e.g. 4 sec usage in the last snapshot)

I have coreI7, Asus PRIME H370 MB, Geforce 1080TI Another input is that I have 2 SSDs and 3 HDD connected to my PC as well as multiple USB devices I’ve uploaded the recorded boot here:
    link to boot recording

Thanks for any help.

janjan, May 7, 2020
  4. Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file

Slow boot analyzed with the microsoft performance analyzer (Windows 10)

Microsoft has a step by step guide that might be helpful:

Windows Performance Analyzer step-by-step guide | Microsoft Docs

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

As for boot time, here are some basic ones you can try:

Open Start > Settings > Privacy > Background apps

Disable all Background apps.

Disabling Windows Update:

Press Windows key + R

Type: services.msc

Hit Enter

Scroll down to Windows Update

Select it then right click it

Click Properties

Under the General tab, choose Startup type to Disabled

Click Stop

Click Apply then OK

Also, check whats starting up with Windows.

Press Windows key + X

Click Task Manager

Click Startup tab

Disable all except Windows Defender.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Press Windows key + R

Type: msconfig

Hit Enter

Go to the services tab

Check the box, hide all Microsoft services

Disable the remaining services

Click Apply then OK

Restart if prompted

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Open Start, type: problem reports

Hit Enter

Delete any failed or pending reports.

Andre Da Costa, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file

1. Slow Windows 10 boot, need help analyzing Windows Performance Analyzer file - Similar Threads - Slow boot need

2. Windows Performance Analyzer question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Performance Analyzer question: This morning I downloaded and Microsoft immediately installed "Windows Performance Analyzer" on my laptop to see how well my system is behaving on startup. The problem is that I do not know how to use it. Something produces ETFs that the analyzer reports on, but I don't know...
  3. Windows Performance Recorder and Analyzer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Performance Recorder and Analyzer: I'm trying to figure out why one of my computers is snappier than the other when they both have virtually identical hardware. These two Windows performance tools seem like a good way to go, but they present the user with a daunting quantity of data. I'm starting with...
  4. Slow boot, performance degradartions, and need help about WPAWindows Performance Analyzer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow boot, performance degradartions, and need help about WPAWindows Performance Analyzer: Hello. I need help about issues above, i had to describe it completely for better guidance. Sorry if it takes long to read but needed help. I've been having performance issues since i installed windows 10. Slow boot, bad performance mostly, sometimesinfinite black screen...
  5. Need help for analyzing dump files!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help for analyzing dump files!: Can someone help to analyze the dump files for bluescreen reasons? The following link has the dump files https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsowNH1JWNPygpkJWLYu3ZJtgV5x2g?e=eWLHVR...
  6. Win10 Slow boot time. Help debug with Windows Performance Analyzer

Win10 Slow boot time. Help debug with Windows Performance Analyzer: My win10 has a long boot time -approx. 1 minute till boot main path ends. I am trying to figure out what causes this long boot delay. I also use Acronis boot manager. This is a pre boot sequence which happens before windows boot starts. The recording I refer to happened after...
  7. Help with Windows Performance Analyzer?

Help with Windows Performance Analyzer?: My Dell desktop PC is intermittently slow -- especially waking up from sleep. I've checked everything I can think of, but found no obvious culprit. I just used Windows Performance Recorder to generate an ETL file, and I loaded it up in Windows Performance Analyzer, and it...
  8. Windows Performance Analyzer helps you analyze performance of a system

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Performance Analyzer helps you analyze performance of a system: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this fast-paced world, delays as small as a second can impact business metrics. So, a thorough analysis of performance characteristics likely causing these delays is essential. Windows Performance Analyzer offers valuable information in this regard. The...
  9. Need help analyzing dump file.

Need help analyzing dump file.: Uploaded on OneDrive is a dmp and msinfo file. I consistently get a hang on cold boot that the laptop eventually gets past on power off/on after one or two more tries. It works fine after that until next cold boot. I have swapped out hard drives and swapped out memory, but...
  10. Windows Performance Analyzer error

Windows Performance Analyzer error: I've been trying to run Windows Performance Analyzer to analyze a trace to resolve slow boots. The version of the ADK I used to install the Windows Performance Toolkit is the latest one, for Windows 10 1803, as I'm currently on 17134.81. After running the Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows Performance Analyzer smss.exe slow boot