Windows 10: Slow Windows 10 Upgrades even with SSDs, SSDs too small? Overprovisioning required? How to...

Discus and support Slow Windows 10 Upgrades even with SSDs, SSDs too small? Overprovisioning required? How to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I upgraded Windows 10 32 Bit Home in default setup nearly no 3rd party applicaitons and apps installed on two machines using SSDs with and without... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AndreasE883, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Slow Windows 10 Upgrades even with SSDs, SSDs too small? Overprovisioning required? How to...

Hi,

I upgraded Windows 10 32 Bit Home in default setup nearly no 3rd party applicaitons and apps installed on two machines using SSDs with and without so called TRIM.

Memory Size is 2-3GB, SSD Size is 80GB without TRIM Support, official Whitepaper says GC runs in trouble after more than 20 GB writes /day within 3 days unsure if this means 60GB/72 hours or assumes 60 GB /24 hours working time or one 120GB with TRIM Support

The machines are rarely used. 2-3 Days a month, most of the time for getting Windows and App updates,

Hybrid standby is active next to fastboot. No DPIM Support given. Real shutdowns and Hybrid STR are used during those days

System Restore is also on

Driver has to be IDE on both systems due to either reduced block mode issue after STR or missing AHCI Support also in order to get trim working on at least one drive

Upgrade speed seems to be well for a while having taskmanager active but seems to stall after an hour or so. Recovers frome time to time.

Write Cache settings are default!

Full updates take more than 3 hours then.

Question is, if overprovisioning might help since I don't want to spend more time in Windows 10 Upgrades on SSD.

I know this can run overnight, but I'm scared PCs will run in undetermindes state destroying hardware or their own installation if unattended already had that 3 times

Memory is not an issue, CPUs still have free ressources in my opinion.

SSD Temperature might also be questioned.

Any susgestion if overprovisiong might help?

What should be size?

80GB Partition shrinked to 64 GB?

120GB Partition shrinked to 80 GB on TRIM SSD? or does 120GB mean this already has 8GB OP?

:)

AndreasE883, Oct 14, 2020

2. Upgraded Windows Transfer from HDD to SSD

Hi

My windows was upgraded from 8 to 10 on my laptop few years back. I was trying to get the HDD replaced with SSD. During the copy process, the technician said windows cannot be moved to SSD as it is an upgraded version from 8 to 10.

Kindly guide if there is a possibility to copy the windows to SSD ? If so, please suggest the steps.

NipunSingla, Oct 14, 2020
  3. Arjay Dom Win User
    slow ssd

Hi,

Slow SSD performance can be caused by several factors like Hybernation mode and Superfetch service.

As an initial troubleshooting step, try disabling Hibernate mode since it is unnecessary for the SSD system as it takes too much time to boot from it.

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter the administrator credentials once prompted.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type or copy and paste this command:

powercfg -h off
    • Press Enter.

Note: Once Hibernate is already disabled, you can also free up some space to improve its performance.

We also recommenddisabing Superfetch as one way to optimize the SSD performance:

• Press Windows key + R to open the Run
      dialog box.
    • Type services.msc and press Enter.
    • Scroll down and right-click on Superfetch.
    • Select Stop.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

*If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.*

Arjay Dom, Oct 14, 2020
  4. Slow Windows 10 Upgrades even with SSDs, SSDs too small? Overprovisioning required? How to...

Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Oct 14, 2020
Thema:

Slow Windows 10 Upgrades even with SSDs, SSDs too small? Overprovisioning required? How to...

1. Slow Windows 10 Upgrades even with SSDs, SSDs too small? Overprovisioning required? How to... - Similar Threads - Slow Upgrades SSDs

2. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and all 3 SSDs with slow writes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and all 3 SSDs with slow writes: 3 minidump files from today BSODs https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApqUd02gMI4WhgaaRrq2c3UivtQl?e=peQ4bcHi, I've been facing this issue for a couple of months and was wondering if someone has ever faced or has any idea on any other solutions that I may try to fix it.MSI B450M Bazooka Plus...
  3. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and all 3 SSDs with slow writes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and all 3 SSDs with slow writes: 3 minidump files from today BSODs https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApqUd02gMI4WhgaaRrq2c3UivtQl?e=peQ4bcHi, I've been facing this issue for a couple of months and was wondering if someone has ever faced or has any idea on any other solutions that I may try to fix it.MSI B450M Bazooka Plus...
  4. M2 SSDs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    M2 SSDs: Motherboard: Intel B560Processor: i511400OS: Windows 11SSD: Western Digital 2TBWindows won’t recognize me M2 SSD and I’m not sure why, I went to disk management and nothing. I went to the BIOS and it’s not showing there either. I used the cmd tool and put in the command’ disk...
  5. M2 SSDs

M2 SSDs: Motherboard: Intel B560Processor: i511400OS: Windows 11SSD: Western Digital 2TBWindows won’t recognize me M2 SSD and I’m not sure why, I went to disk management and nothing. I went to the BIOS and it’s not showing there either. I used the cmd tool and put in the command’ disk...
  6. 2 ssds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 ssds: Hi. My pc is showing 2 ssds but I only have 1 ssd. How can i get rid of this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-ssds/6eaec8db-61a6-4e48-86da-fe7170c83e69
  7. 2 ssds

2 ssds: Hi. My pc is showing 2 ssds but I only have 1 ssd. How can i get rid of this problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-ssds/6eaec8db-61a6-4e48-86da-fe7170c83e69
  8. 2 ssds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Windows 10 absolutely refuses to recognize 4 SSDs as SSDs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 absolutely refuses to recognize 4 SSDs as SSDs: 4 of my 8 SSDs have their "Media type" in Defragment and Optimise Drives set to HDD. I feel like I've tried every troubleshooting step you can and I absolutely can't get it to switch to the proper media type. Tried: Get-PhysicalDisk Number FriendlyName SerialNumber...
  10. 2 SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 SSDs: Hello Here is the mather. I have 2 SSDs. One is 250go ( where everything is automaticly installed) and another one is 1000go. I would like to transfert everything on my 1TO because the 250Go is 3/4 full. I saw couple of tutorials about images on this forum but it was 2017...