Windows 10: Slowdowns and freezes when opening apps, folders or start buttons

Discus and support Slowdowns and freezes when opening apps, folders or start buttons in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; It's some time that I'm experiencing regularly freezes and quite slow behaviors when opeing apps, folders or buttons in the start menu. It happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by R3tr4z, Dec 2, 2020.

1. R3tr4z Win User

Slowdowns and freezes when opening apps, folders or start buttons

It's some time that I'm experiencing regularly freezes and quite slow behaviors when opeing apps, folders or buttons in the start menu. It happens often that I click on them, and the app or the operation doesn't start and the screen freezes, then after like a minute it finally goes. Before it was happening only in the moments after I turned on the computer, now it happens regularly, and just today when I shut down the computer, it got stuck on the sutting down screen for like 15 minutes and i had to manually turn it off by pressing on the turn on button.

I already did with command prompt things like scannow, dism restorehealth, dism scan health and they all told me the computer is fine.

Only thing, dism.exe / online / cleanup-image / startcomponentcleanup completed when it was only at 20%.

I'm on windows 10 home, version 20H2, os build 19042.630

Thanks!

:)

R3tr4z, Dec 2, 2020
  2. Jacko28 Win User

Opening a Folder in VC++

I've recently started learning VC++ and it's coming along quite nicley, I've now been given a little task by my boss to add a button to an excisting Incident report program.

All the button needs to do is open a new explorer window and open the folder selected in the incident report program. There isn't a deadline for it, it's just to assist in my learning.

I'm not asking for anyone to do it for me, i just need a few suggestions on how to do this so i'm looking in the correct direction?

Thanks

Jacko28, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Slowdowns and freezes when opening apps, folders or start buttons :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Dec 2, 2020
  4. Jacko28 Win User

Opening a Folder in VC++

I've got the button working now, it opens the folder which I've stated.

I'm now looking at reading a string the user inputs, from this string I want to be able identify and open the folder using the button.

Is this in the range of someone at intermediate level?

Furthermore, is there a function like equalsIgnoreCase in c++ and would this be viable for doing what I need?

Jacko28, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Slowdowns and freezes when opening apps, folders or start buttons - Similar Threads - Slowdowns freezes opening

2. When I try to open up a folder/app in the desktop, the screen freezes. Can use the start...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I try to open up a folder/app in the desktop, the screen freezes. Can use the start...: I'm having issues with my PC where the desktop and windows freezes up. The whole system does not freeze up. For example, if I was to open up 'This PC' from the desktop, the desktop freezes and This PC stays highlighted . But I can go to the Start Menu and search for 'This PC'...
  3. When I try to open up a folder/app in the desktop, the screen freezes. Can use the start...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I try to open up a folder/app in the desktop, the screen freezes. Can use the start...: I'm having issues with my PC where the desktop and windows freezes up. The whole system does not freeze up. For example, if I was to open up 'This PC' from the desktop, the desktop freezes and This PC stays highlighted . But I can go to the Start Menu and search for 'This PC'...
  4. When I try to open up a folder/app in the desktop, the screen freezes. Can use the start...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Apps showing in folder when windows button is clicked

in Windows 10 Customization
    Apps showing in folder when windows button is clicked: Hi all, when I hit the Windows key, the app list shows most apps inside folders. Why is it? How can I disable/remove it from the folders and make it appear as normal apps?...
  6. Change folder to open when selecting folder in start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change folder to open when selecting folder in start menu: [ATTACH] This might sound like a weird one, but essentially the Documents folder on Windows is a mess, so I have my own "Documents" folder created elsewhere, and I'd like to change which folder opens when selecting this option in the Start Menu. Is this possible through...
  7. Windows start button, files and apps will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows start button, files and apps will not open: I cannot open any microsoft or windows 10 based app or file, including internet explorer, any file in the C: drive, the windows start button, Microsoft Edge, etc. This happened after an update but not sure if that caused it. I can open chrome, AOL. and other non-windows apps....
  8. start button and apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    start button and apps: hi I am having trouble when I try to close my computer or restart it or try to look for my apps by clicking the start button and it will not come up anymore. when I go into settings and hit apps it disappears. can you help me please...
  9. Start button wont open

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start button wont open: Cant open start icon cant open explorer cant open PFD files I have 22 new updates cant access https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-wont-open/2d1e7a2c-b002-4f6d-afda-27f3a2c3bd7e
  10. Windows 10 Start button or apps dont open

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start button or apps dont open: First off i dont know if this is where i put this. Secondly, my issue is that when i click on the windows start button it doesnt open or do anything. Also if i wanted to use the windows 10 xbox app that wont open as well. Task manager is slow and so is file explorer. I have...