Windows 10: Slower downloads with Arris 1602A than 802G only on desktop computer

Discus and support Slower downloads with Arris 1602A than 802G only on desktop computer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cannot explain this weird occurrence and am hoping someone can please help. I am an Optimum customer with 200mps service. I was renting an Arris... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeteComp, Jun 12, 2019 at 9:22 AM.

1. PeteComp Win User

Slower downloads with Arris 1602A than 802G only on desktop computer

I cannot explain this weird occurrence and am hoping someone can please help. I am an Optimum customer with 200mps service. I was renting an Arris 802G modem which is an 8x4 channel modem and was getting speeds in the near 200mps range. In order not to rent any more, I purchased an Arris 1602A modem which is 24x8 channel, which, in theory, should be just as fast or faster. However, now I am getting speeds just over 100mps on my desktop computer which is hard wired with an Ethernet cable (not wireless). I am using the Speedtest.net Windows App as well as using Edge and Chrome at the same site to test the speeds.

At first I thought the modem was defective so I returned it for another with the same results. Then I began doing some tests and found that wirelessly through my phone, again using the same App, I am getting speeds near 200. I tried using different ports in the router (Dlink Covr-2600R) with the same results. Then I plugged a different computer into a different port and it got over 200. Next I took the wire which was in this second computer, plugged it into my desktop computer and was back down again in the 100 range. So, that ruled out the port and the Ethernet wire. I have unplugged and plugged in both the modem and router multiple times as well.

I thought maybe the built-in network adapter might be faulty and was thinking of changing it, however, I do get speeds over 200 with the old modem, just not with the new one. Unfortunately, I returned the 802G so as not to be charged any more so I can't do any more tests with that (which was a pain anyway since I had to call Optimum to activate it each time I did a swap).

So why ONLY on my desktop computer (my main computer) is the speed so slow compared to other computers wired or wireless? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

2. José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Jun 12, 2019 at 9:26 AM
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

4. Slower downloads with Arris 1602A than 802G only on desktop computer

fllckering desktop

Hi Yvonne,

To resolve your issue with flickering desktop, we suggest that you update your display drivers with the steps listed below:

• Right-click Start, then select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters to find the name of your device.
    • Right-click the device and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow steps to update display drivers.

Update us on the result.

Regards.

Thema:

Slower downloads with Arris 1602A than 802G only on desktop computer

1. Slower downloads with Arris 1602A than 802G only on desktop computer - Similar Threads - Slower downloads Arris

2. Laptop Wifi Upload speed much slower than download speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop Wifi Upload speed much slower than download speed: I have a Dell Inspiron N5040 running 1809 17763.153. It has a Dell Wireless 1502 802.11 b/g/n WiFi card which is made by Atheros. Prior to upgrading to 1803 WiFi worked normally and Download was faster than Upload, 35Mb vs 10Mb. Since 1803 and now 1809 as well, Download is...
  3. 1804 update made my computer slower than a 286

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    1804 update made my computer slower than a 286: Everything takes forever. Clicking on a file in Explorer causes a "Not responding" message to appear sometimes for as long as 30 seconds before it finally selects the file. Web pages are delayed from 10 to 30 seconds. Sometimes programs don't start at all. I have a fast...
  4. Microsoft Store downloads games much slower than my internet provides

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store downloads games much slower than my internet provides: I get 50 mbps internet, its fiber, and it runs wired from the wall to my router, to my desktop. On the Microsoft Store I am downloading Sea of Thieves and I am topping out at 20 mbps, normally staying around 5-6 mbps. I have no other background applications downloading...
  5. Windows computer slower download speeds

Windows computer slower download speeds: I have an HP Envy from 2016, with a gigabit ethernet port and wireless ac. This computer is consistently getting slower speeds than my Android devices, and my older linux computer. Wired(same wire and ports as when I plug the linux computer in), I can't get over 100Mbps. It...
  6. Cursor slower than mouse/touchpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cursor slower than mouse/touchpad: My cursor tends to lag behind my touchpad when I'm using any app other than Settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/cursor-slower-than-mousetouchpad/fa312e8d-7246-4a0c-86b3-f0b5f233c32b
  7. File transfer slower than download speed on wireless LAN

File transfer slower than download speed on wireless LAN: The issue File transfers are capping at 355KBps downloading above 1MB mostly I shared internet connection with my friend and its a 10Mbps one. Network is as below First is Internet router 54Mbps Second is Repeater (Tenda N300 300Mbps) My frnds laptop is connected to this...
  8. Ethernet is slower than wireless....

Ethernet is slower than wireless....: I have a problem that my IP says is my Ethernet adapter... I have updated drivers, and tried just about everything, with no success.. My wireless speed is 117mbps/23mbps consistently.. However my direct to my modem Ethernet cable gets no better than 70mbps/22mbps...
  9. Gigabit Internet Download Speed Much Slower Than Upload

Gigabit Internet Download Speed Much Slower Than Upload: Three weeks ago, I had Gigabit FIOS installed, but I have never been able to get gigabit speeds going both ways. I always get 900+ Mbps UPLOAD but never more than 300 Mbps DOWNLOAD. But, I get 900/900+ Mbps between the Router and the Server every time, *AND*, here's the...
  10. Local network: uploads way slower than downloads on local network

Local network: uploads way slower than downloads on local network: Update: see iperf tests below. Issue appears to be OS-related. No speed problems on Linux boxes, Windows causes upload slowdown. Issue: using local gigabit network uploads peak at 7-10MB/s while downloads fully saturate the link at 110MB/s. This happens whether connected...