Windows 10: Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

Discus and support Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 64 bit creating/downloading files even though size works, disk space says 0 bytes. I tried checking my SSD thinking it had some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JellyMLG, Aug 18, 2020.

1. JellyMLG Win User

Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

creating/downloading files even though size works, disk space says 0 bytes.

I tried checking my SSD thinking it had some problems, but all tools said it was at 100% health.

My system is updated and I ran system checks sfc, DISM but no errors were found.

The funny thing is files that have this problem are sometimes accessible, sometimes not.

I know a few others have this problem too, so I doubt It's something too specific to me.

:)

JellyMLG, Aug 18, 2020

2. DVD Disk showing 0 bytes.

I brought new DVD of 4.7 GB, but after inserting it, it is sometimes not recognizing and when recognizing it is not showing any size,

as well as when I clicked on properties it is showing 0 bytes, I exchanged DVD but issue persists.

One more thing when I inserted disk at very first, it showed 4.38 GB blank space but after rebooting it is showing 0 bytes.

The disk is recognizing properly but the "Size bar" which is generally below the name of Disk not showing.

Also I tried to Add Files but the disk drive is ejecting and coming out.

My system:

Dell Inspiron 15R 5521

Windows 8.1 x64bit

Dhananjay Satanure, Aug 18, 2020
  3. NTFS problem: 0 byte file but "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB"

By using a Python script, I managed to mistakenly create a 4GB file on an NTFS USB drive with a colon in the filename. The resulting file name was all of the text up until the colon, but the file is listed as being 0 bytes. BUT when I check the file properties
    it says "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704 bytes)". When I used a file recovery program such as Recuva and MiniTool Power Data Recovery, all 4GB seem to copy to another drive, but it still shows that it's 0 bytes (Size On Disk 3.98 GB).

Any advice as to what I could try next to fix this issue?

The file cannot be replaced easily so I'd like to get it back.

I'm not averse to low level disk editing if it comes to that.

Thanks in advance!

Scott_Bernstein, Aug 18, 2020
  4. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

NTFS problem: 0 byte file but "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB"

Ok, so you created a file whose size according to Explorer was 0 bytes, but size on disk was 3.98GB (interestingly enough it's easy to do the opposite, i.e. create a sparse file whose size is a few bytes or GBs or whatever, but size on disk is 0 bytes).

However after that why exactly where you using data recovery tools? Did you delete the file by mistake?

Have you tried actually looking at the contents of the file with a hex editor or something? Or tried a disk editor to view the file on disk? How do you even know for sure that the file has/had any useful data inside?

RobertJWin, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

1. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes - Similar Threads - Small files disk

2. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    cannot attach file 0 bytes: i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-attach-file-0-bytes/2062f401-2774-4fe9-b2d9-c92282d1dd18
  3. cannot attach file 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot attach file 0 bytes: i cannot attached files in my easy mail account, they say 0 bytes & cannot download, but when using my gmail it works ok, im using windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-attach-file-0-bytes/2062f401-2774-4fe9-b2d9-c92282d1dd18
  4. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes: Continuation of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-files-have-a-disk-space-of-0-bytes/3cdb8cf0-409d-4e5e-824b-d7a1c85b68d1CAUTION: Please to not ask/suggest "file repair" stuff as in the original question since it will lead to no...
  5. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes: Continuation of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-files-have-a-disk-space-of-0-bytes/3cdb8cf0-409d-4e5e-824b-d7a1c85b68d1CAUTION: Please to not ask/suggest "file repair" stuff as in the original question since it will lead to no...
  6. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Disk usage is Zero bytes 0%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk usage is Zero bytes 0%: Hello everyone I am facing a terrible problem regarding my windows And its my disk usage As u can see it says 0 % and because of that everything isn't working at all and i tried everything and still no one gave me a correct diagnosis or correct solution Please help me...
  8. 0 bytes Files, Drive failure

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    0 bytes Files, Drive failure: Hi, I have recently met a problem with my Data Drive. Alot of my Files have been appearing as 0kb and unusable, many of them video files that I remember watching just fine a few months ago (2-3 months). Some game files have also been turning 0kb, making some of my Steam...
  9. How to Delete 0 Byte Files

How to Delete 0 Byte Files: Hello, Searching this forum for a means to delete 0 byte video files I came across a solution by BD45960 who suggests: Run CMD (aka Command Prompt) Use: del (File Location)\File Name* example: File Name: Ledgers CPB (1) <---note the space at end of file name (*...
  10. Strange 0 byte files

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange 0 byte files: I'm curious what these files are that are on some of my internal HD's partitions. The file name is a random (apparently) string of characters, 'type of file: file', 'size: 0 bytes', 'owner: system'. What are these? Do I need them? 52090