Windows 10: Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu

Discus and support Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I got a large square with a tiny icon inside.... It may be related to 'apps from Windows app store' rather than programs installed in the old way.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PeterJefferies, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu

I got a large square with a tiny icon inside.... It may be related to 'apps from Windows app store' rather than programs installed in the old way. Others have this problem. I was not able to provide a solution as the question was closed. Here is a long winded solution. (i.e. Providing a bigger icon.)

1. Download Paint.net or some other app that can save in *.ico icon format. MS paint can't save in correct format.
    2. Pin app to start menu. Take a screenshot of screen with large Start menu icon visible. Use 'ctrl-printscreen' key top left of keyboard... ( Unfortunately Snipping Tool auto closes start menu so can't be used )
    3. Use paint package to cut out icon and save in .ico format (make sure image large enough)
    4. Right click on your app's desktop shortcut... on the right click menu select tab 'shortcut'/ 'Change icon...' / 'Browse...' find your saved icon select it and hit apply .... easy !

:)

PeterJefferies, Nov 16, 2019

2. icons on desktop dissapeared

Hi,

I think you are right clicking from the Start menu desktop and I suggest you to right click from the conventional desktop not the desktop you see when you press the Start menu. And perform the actions. You may aslo drag and drop the applications
    as suggested, to do so,

• Click on the Start menu.

• Select All Apps.

• Select the apps you want to in to the desktop and drag the icons to the desktop.
    Please do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Darknova Win User
    Start menu default internet acces icon screwed?

You generally set that via the Start Menu settings (right-click start menu -> properties).

I had that issues a while ago, and it meant removing it from the Start Menu, and reinstalling my browser to get the icon back, it was very odd.

Darknova, Nov 16, 2019
  4. nt62 Win User

Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu

Start Menu Icons

Hello @Tony K.

The solutions were "add to desktop" icons for Chrome as requested.
    The original website desktop icon will launch Chrome even if Edge or other browser is default.

The other solution was drag icons to start menu.
    Original website icons as requested are listed in the start menu under "Chrome Apps"

Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu [​IMG]

The requested website icons can also be pinned to the taskbar
    and will run the Chrome​ browser even if Edge or other is the default

Tiles are a different matter.
    Edge does not have any start tabs that can be customized.
    Edge does not have themes that I am aware of.
    Edge does not have any options to add customized wallpapers or animated wallpapers.
    If you run BING - Bing supplies only Bing wallpapers.
    Edge only runs on Windows 10.
    Other contributors will suggest a better way than a desktop icon.

suggested start tab page to OP using different browsers
    did my best - nothing more to add
    I find seeking address bar and browser tabs website icons to be ... forget it.
    A task for a young corporate programmer.
    edgeTILE is an excellent free store app that has options to customize tiles for web urls.

farewell

Thema:

Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu

1. Small icon on desktop when dragged from start menu - Similar Threads - Small icon desktop

2. Ghosting icon on start menu when dragging and dropping into a group

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ghosting icon on start menu when dragging and dropping into a group: I upgraded windows 10 today. Finally getting around to organizing my start menu because I mostly use the search feature to open my applications. I started to drag icons around and put them in groups when one of the icons seems to be stuck in a drag and drop state. Ghosting...
  3. small office app icons in start menu

small office app icons in start menu: [ATTACH] anyone know what these are? i just reinstalled windows 10 and these appeared, clicking on either excel, word, powerpoint, or outlook just open up an empty tab in microsoft edge. i cannot uninstall them either, after clicking uninstall they just remain there....
  4. Windows 10 Start menu icons are really small.

Windows 10 Start menu icons are really small.: I have a Asus ZenBook i9 laptop which has been experiencing odd small issues with the OS, all I have been able to fix, but I have no idea how to fix this issue, help.[IMG]...
  5. Start menu desktop icon missing when typing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start menu desktop icon missing when typing: So after resetting my Windows 10 last night with the option of "Removing Apps and Keeping all Personal Files". I noticed after reinstalling my apps, when I type in the name of the app in the search bar "manually", the icon is missing. See screenshot below. This also goes for...
  6. Start menu desktop icon missing when typing

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu desktop icon missing when typing: So after resetting my Windows 10 last night with the option of "Removing Apps and Keeping all Personal Files". I noticed after reinstalling my apps, when I type in the name of the app in the search bar "manually", the icon is missing. See screenshot below.The icon is there...
  7. Changing start menu icons to small by default

Changing start menu icons to small by default: Changing the icon size of a start menu icon is easy. But how can you make the start menu icons small by default so that you do not need to change the size every single time? [img] 66749
  8. Small start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Small start menu: Hello, something happened after Windows Update - I turned on my PC and I see... [img] [img] Anybody can help me? Thanks. 3324
  9. Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't drag shortcuts from the start menu to the desktop anymore...: Since recently, I can't drag en drop icons from my start menu to my desktop anymore... When I click the icon and drag it to the desktop, I see it on the desktop, with the overlay that a shortcut will be created there, but when I release the mouse button, the round waiting...
  10. icons on desktop will not drag

in Windows 10 Support
    icons on desktop will not drag: Win 10, 64 bit, recent upgrade from Win 7. Beginning this afternoon, all of a sudden, the icons on the desktop will not drag, they are fixed in place. I can delete them, open them, move them via right-click and 'copy to' or 'move to'. They simply will not move. I've...