Windows 10: Small Office File Sharing through USB 3 3.1 optical USB cable

Discus and support Small Office File Sharing through USB 3 3.1 optical USB cable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; They now make optical cable for usb 3 I am looking for ways to share files with 3 computers from one hard drive that is faster than Ethernet. My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DonMurray, May 11, 2019.

1. DonMurray Win User

Small Office File Sharing through USB 3 3.1 optical USB cable

They now make optical cable for usb 3 I am looking for ways to share files with 3 computers from one hard drive that is faster than Ethernet. My thinking is that it would probably be more secure because you can easily unplug USB without causing problems. maybe my thinking is wrong here and there is no way to share one hard drive via USB 3 with three computers. ?

Or like instead of using a NAS or a file server for a small office maybe a USB hub that shares files from a hard drive.
    Any thoughts or ideas ?
    If it was an office where only one person at a time plugged into the drive that would definitely work if I could find some type of USB hub that would plug into the hard drive.

:)

DonMurray, May 11, 2019

2. Corning Announces Availability of USB 3.Optical Cables

Corning Incorporated today announced the availability of its USB 3.Optical Cables by Corning, capable of sending up to 5 gigabits per second of data at distances up to 30 meters. Compatible with most USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices, USB 3.Optical Cables by Corning quickly and easily extend data transmission beyond the 3-meter limitation of comparable copper cable.

Optical Cables by Corning were introduced in January 2013 and are now available for sale through select consumer electronic retail channels.

Small Office File Sharing through USB 3 3.1 optical USB cable Corning_USB3.Optical_Cables_01_thm.jpg

Enabled by Corning ClearCurve VSDN optical fiber, the USB 3.Optical Cables by Corning are up to 50 percent thinner and up to 80 percent lighter than comparable copper cables, qualities that enable convenient transport. With a "zero-bend" radius, they can withstand bending, squeezing, and tangling without damage or loss of function, making them ideal for routing through the harsh environment of a crowded workspace.

"With longer, thinner, and lighter cables, USB 3.Optical Cables by Corning give users the freedom to max out data connection speeds for a more enjoyable creative workflow," said Bernhard Deutsch, vice president, product line management, Optical Connectivity Solutions for Corning Optical Communications. "Imagine having your computer at your workstation and the whir of back-up hard drives, printers, and other noisy peripherals in an entirely different room - and still benefiting from unbelievable transmission speeds."

USB 3.Optical Cables by Corning are ideal for connecting today's USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices, including digital cameras and camcorders; storage drives; digital signage and point-of-sale systems at retail locations; zero-client computing; smart boards in educational institutions; and remote consoles in healthcare and industrial automation settings.

"Our cables aren't just for the creative community," Deutsch said. "There are a host of commercial applications that can benefit from the increased length, strength and flexibility of USB 3.Optical Cables by Corning."

"For example, restaurants can connect order-entry stations to USB-equipped printers located in both the bar and kitchen areas. The system then splits out the orders, printing food tickets in the kitchen and drink orders at the bar, resulting in faster service and happier customers."

USB 3.Optical Cables by Corning currently come in lengths of 10 meters with "A-to-receptacle-A" connectors for maximum flexibility to connect devices with different USB connector form factors, such as B or Micro B with short adapters. They are now available online through Accu-Tech and Amazon, starting at $129. They will also be available in cable lengths of 15 and 30 meters later this year.

Cristian_25H, May 11, 2019
  3. Corning Announces Availability of USB 3.Optical Cables

This isn't just for hard drives. This is a 30 meter (~100 foot) USB extension cable that uses an optical cable rather than a copper one to allow for full-speed USB 3.0 connections over absurdly long distances. This is in response to Thunderbolt supporting optical cables over similar distances. Thunderbolt still supports higher throughput but USB is so ubiquitous, inexpensive, and is fast enough for most purposes that it makes more sense for many people to get this cable and use it with existing hardware than it does to move to optical Thunderbolt for long-distance runs..

Of course you could always grab a USB-over-Cat5/6 kit and a long ethernet cable for cheap and see if that gets the job done for 1/4 of the price but you'll be limited to USB 2.0 speeds, which is still fast enough for something like the printer example in the article.: Monoprice USB Extender over CAT5E or CAT6 Connection up to 150ft:Amazon:Computers & Accessories

WithoutWeakness, May 11, 2019
  4. Anibor Win User

USB Type-C Hub does not work with extension cable

"USB 3.1" can mean USB 3.1 Gen. 1 (5 Gbit/s), or USB 3.1 Gen. 2 (10 Gbit/s). The cable you posted about in #3 is described as 10 Gbit/s compatible and its length es 1 m, which is consistent with a Gen. 2 cable. (In the current terminology, it seems that "3.1" is not used anymore, now is 3.2 Gen. 1/2).

What I suggested was to try a "Gen.1" cable, since the hub is Gen.1. Among others, I found this in Amazon, which is 2.0 m long, therefore Gen. 1:

USB C Extension Cable,Stouchi USB Type C Male to Female Fast Charging & Audio Data Transfer Cable Compatible for Nintendo Switch, Thunderbolt 3 MacBook Pro, Google Pixel 2 2 XL 3(6 FT)

The Satechi hub is also listed in Amazon, you could post a question about extension cables.

Anibor, May 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Small Office File Sharing through USB 3 3.1 optical USB cable - Similar Threads - Small Office File

2. USB 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3: Somebody fixed my USB 3 ports With the May 2023 Driver. They haven’ worked correctly for more than a year and several driver updates. Thanks a lot! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3/68c903ad-082d-4aef-8c7d-a40abdfca86c
  3. USB 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB 3: Somebody fixed my USB 3 ports With the May 2023 Driver. They haven’ worked correctly for more than a year and several driver updates. Thanks a lot! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3/68c903ad-082d-4aef-8c7d-a40abdfca86c
  4. USB 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. laplink - with fiber optic usb 3 SHARE FILES FAST ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    laplink - with fiber optic usb 3 SHARE FILES FAST ?: So I am thinking on taking this cable : a driverless usb 3 [ATTACH] and then getting this : USB 3.0 Fiber Optic Cable 95ft, CableCreation Active USB 3.0 A-Male to A-Female Extension Cord with Micro USB Power Supply Port, High Speed 5Gbps, Zinc... Size:95ft [ATTACH] That...
  6. USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices

USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices: I have had this problem since February and not sure what to do. All of my USB 3 ports are not recognized by my computer as USB 3 ports only as USB 2/1.[ATTACH] The two active ports you see there are USB 3 ports, but they don't work as USB 3 ports. If any one has had this...
  7. usb 3 board

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb 3 board: just installed a new usb 3 board, but PC cannot find or recognize it. Any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3-board/e0a97612-4258-4aa9-97e2-7240772ca3eb
  8. Small Office File Sharing through USB 3 3.1 optical USB cable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Small Office File Sharing through USB 3 3.1 optical USB cable: They now make optical cable for usb 3 I am looking for ways to share files with 3 computers from one hard drive that is faster than Ethernet. My thinking is that it would probably be more secure because you can easily unplug USB without causing problems. maybe my thinking is...
  9. USB 3 Hub

USB 3 Hub: I have a new computer and noticed that when using a powered USB 3 hub connected to the ports on the back my USB drive are not connecting. This happens with my HDD's and my SSD's. If I plug the drives in directly to the ports they work. I can use the ports on the front. Is...
  10. USB 3 is not runing usb 3 speeds on my board

USB 3 is not runing usb 3 speeds on my board: So i had to get intel chipset drivers for my board from intel my board is a msi z77a-g45 all drivers show working and functioning here is a picture of the drivers installed, i can't figure out why all my usb 3 devices are not running at usb 3 speed they are running at usb 2.0...