Windows 10: small question about data when upgrading to windows 10 from 7

Discus and support small question about data when upgrading to windows 10 from 7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I install windows 10 on the same drive I have windows 7 on, replacing it, will stuff like my documents folder, appdata folders, and everything on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 26dollar, Aug 30, 2019.

1. 26dollar Win User

small question about data when upgrading to windows 10 from 7

If I install windows 10 on the same drive I have windows 7 on, replacing it, will stuff like my documents folder, appdata folders, and everything on my desktop move directly over and be in the same place as they were before?

This is really important because alot of programs depend on those files being in the exact same place on the C drive and when i installed windows 10 on a different drive my old windows 7 /users/ folder which includes the documents, appdata, and desktop folders, was completely invisible and inaccessible which caused alot of problems, like accessing my firefox history which is stored in the appdata folder.

:)

26dollar, Aug 30, 2019
  2. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Aug 30, 2019
  3. Mussels Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

i've seen this when the stock USB drivers went kaput. Only ever seen it once - i used a PCI USB 2.0 card and connected the mouse and keyboard to that, and manually updated the USB 2/USB 3 drivers.

Mussels, Aug 30, 2019
  4. small question about data when upgrading to windows 10 from 7

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Aug 30, 2019
Thema:

small question about data when upgrading to windows 10 from 7

1. small question about data when upgrading to windows 10 from 7 - Similar Threads - small question data

2. Small question about OS'es...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Small question about OS'es...: I'm just wondering, could I put (for example!!) Ubuntu on my PC on another (seperate) HD and leave Windows on the main HD? (so no dualboot) How would I achieve this? 179182
  3. Small question about OS'es...

in Windows 10 Support
    Small question about OS'es...: I'm just wondering, could I put (for example!!) Ubuntu on my PC on another (seperate) HD and leave Windows on the main HD? (so no dualboot) How would I achieve this? 179182
  4. Questions about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Questions about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Well, Windows 7 is now at "End of Life" and I'm fighting with myself about upgrading. I mostly have some questions. 1. Will my computer, a HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower be able to handle an upgrade to Windows 10. From what I'm hearing it should accept my product key from...
  5. Questions about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10: Well, Windows 7 is now at "End of Life" and I'm fighting with myself about upgrading. I mostly have some questions. 1. Will my computer, a HP Compaq 6000 Pro Microtower be able to handle an upgrade to Windows 10. From what I'm hearing it should accept my product key from...
  6. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 questions

Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 questions: Hello ! I want to buy windows 10 today. I will upgrade my desktop PC from windows 7. I currently have 2 drives my SSD drive which is drive C: and my hard drive which is baclkup drive E: If I buy and download and install Windows 10 will it install onto drive c: and leave...
  7. Question about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - license

Question about upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - license: Hello all I want to try Windows 10 and accept the free upgrade from Windows 7. If I find in a few months that I want to revert to Windows 7 permanently, is it ok to restore an old system image? I understand that I can only run a single instance of Windows on the one...
  8. Few questions about upgrading from Windows 7, UEFI and compatibility.

Few questions about upgrading from Windows 7, UEFI and compatibility.: Hey everyone. Fist post *Smile So I'm in the process of getting my system upgrade-ready for Windows 10 and I would appreciate if anyone could clear up some of my questions. It's the first time I will attempt an actual "upgrade" instead of a clean install. Let's see: 1)...
  9. Questions about upgrading to windows 10

Questions about upgrading to windows 10: Hello. I have recently heard about the windows 10 free upgrade for win7 and 8.1 genuine users. I have a few questions about that upgrade. 1. I don't have any version of windows installed on my computer, so, if I want to get the new windows 10 when it comes out, is there...
  10. Question About Going From Windows 10 Back to Windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Going From Windows 10 Back to Windows 7: Someone said that if you take Microsoft up on their free Windows 10 offer, and then decide to go back to Windows 7, you cannot, because the process of getting Windows 10 will invalidate your Windows 7 key. Is this true? Jim 6732

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is the small fixed-size window that asks you a question