Windows 10: Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:)

Discus and support Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just got a new PC with the following setup: Drive C: is a 128 GB SSD and Drive D: is a 2 TB HDD. Even though I have not installed any programs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sigrid Klein, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:)

I just got a new PC with the following setup:

Drive C: is a 128 GB SSD and Drive D: is a 2 TB HDD.

Even though I have not installed any programs (like MS Office Pro), C: only has 61.7 FB free of 117 GB.

I'm totally scared of what will happen if I start installing programs. Some don't let me choose where they install to and just put themselves onto C:. This is probably the case with an embroidery software program I will need to install and use on this PC.

Do I need to be worried?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

:)

Sigrid Klein, Nov 18, 2019
  2. stgreg Win User

C Drive (SSD) getting full. Data D: (HDD) nothing on it.

My computer is 3 months old. The configuration is OS C 256GB SSD, Data D 2TB HDD. C Drive is getting full, fast. D Drive has virtually nothing on it. I have tried to install larger programs on D, but the install wizards default to C. At this point,
    I won't have room for Updates in no time at all. I am able to direct some small Apps, docs, music files, etc., to D: But, nothing of any real size. How can I correct this?

Also, System restore takes a lot of space. So, I am constantly deleting all restore points except for the most recent. Can I direct System restore to Data D:, and turn protection off OS C:? (That would help... a little).

stgreg, Nov 18, 2019
  3. Megahertz Win User
    Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD

I also have a small (128G) SSD for windows+Programs on a 85G partition and Lubuntu on a 40G partition.
    The C:\Users folder has been moved to D: (1T HDD). I have the speed of a SSD and the space of a HDD at low cost.
    After you clone the HDD to the SSD, I can guide you to move the C:\Users from the SSD to the HDD.

Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:) [​IMG]

Megahertz, Nov 18, 2019
  4. d0gknees Win User

Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:)

Confused about hard drives: HDD and SSD

So, if I want at least a 500 GB drive, an SSD would be either not available at any price or prohibitively expensive--at least for now. It struck me that while numerous computers were boasting large HDDs, the few offering SSDs were shockingly small. I appreciate
    understanding why.

Thanks.

Exactly. 500GB SSDs currently sell for around $200, 1TB models are available but run to $500 or so and a 2TB SSD will cost you over $1,000. (Prices in Australia)

A lot of people get both, a 256 GB SSD for the C: drive and a 2TB HDD or bigger for a D: drive. Then you get good performance from Windows plus lot's of space for your data.

d0gknees, Nov 18, 2019
Thema:

Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:)

1. Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:) - Similar Threads - Small SSD large

2. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  3. My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My c drive ssd contents is in my d drive hdd?: A couple days ago, my computer stopped working for “inaccessible boot device” error. I tried everything that is available, and now resetting windows will be the only option now.However, before I did. I was checking my files in cmd making sure everything is there and I noticed...
  4. Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD: Hi all,I need to replace my current C drive SSD too small with a larger SSD. Windows updates are resource pigs and I'm almost out of space. I've read several articles and it seems it either takes two or three simple steps using the free Macrium Clone function or the Windows...
  5. Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving Apps from C SSD drive to D HDD drive.: I tried moving my Microsoft game apps to my much larger D drive, using the instructions that were recommended: [ATTACH] They stayed on drive C, but they did show up here on D: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] How do I open these in D, delete the ones in C, but still have icons on the...
  6. How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD: My new Windows 10 v. Home 1909 desktop has a 128 GB SSD (C drive) and a 1TB internal HDD (D drive). If I understand correctly the OS pc boots in the SSD and all current Programs and Programs (x86) files are in the C drive. The C drive is already more than half full and I have...
  7. Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD: Hi looking for some advice, I have a laptop and the HD is painfully slow so I have decided to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Now the existing hard drive is a 1TB drive but for what I need the laptop for I have opted for a much smaller SSD drive (I have plenty of Network...
  8. Disk management with small windows ssd drive and large hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk management with small windows ssd drive and large hdd: Hi community, I recently reinstalled Windows on my 23Gb SSD. I want to use the 500gb Hdd for everything else. However, some files and programs have to be on that small 23Gb SSD (e.g. Office) and I am running out of storage after only the first day of my new Windows. How...
  9. How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How do i Migrate windows partition from large HDD to SMALL SSD?: I have just got a 120gb SSD and i put it in my laptop along with my 1tb SSHD and my 32gb Mssd. now i would like to have this as my final output 120gb SSD holding ONLY windows files/installation and possible some small apps (bootable) and my large 1TB for everything...
  10. Small SSD for large SSD for win10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Small SSD for large SSD for win10: So im selling one of my smaller ssd's 240GB and picking up a 1TB. Which drive would be better to install windows on? Not worried about drive speeds or anything like that. ive been told to keep it on a smaller SSD over a larger 1TB ssd. 82033

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 laptop small ssd large hdd move users folder