Windows 10: Small White Square in Upper Left Corner - Cannot Remove

Discus and support Small White Square in Upper Left Corner - Cannot Remove in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This is going to be hard to see, but above the left of the recycle bin icon... there is a tiny white square. When I put my mouse cursor over it I get... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by twiggs462, Jan 28, 2018.

1. twiggs462 Win User

Small White Square in Upper Left Corner - Cannot Remove

This is going to be hard to see, but above the left of the recycle bin icon... there is a tiny white square. When I put my mouse cursor over it I get the cursor to change to the activity cursor (spinning blue circle) - I have no idea what application is causing this and have stopped all tasks starting with windows on boot.

Any ones else ever see this?

Small White Square in Upper Left Corner - Cannot Remove [​IMG]

HP Spectre Laptop with latest BIOS as of this post installed. All windows updates.

:)

twiggs462, Jan 28, 2018

2. Small white box in upper left corner of screen

Glad to know you were able to resolve the problem and pay it forward by sharing the solution. This will help others facing a similar problem.

Have a nice day.

Andre Da Costa, Jan 28, 2018
  3. Andre Da Costa, Jan 28, 2018
  4. twiggs462 Win User

I have located what this is but now to sure what is going on... it seems that Google File Stream is doing this and when I quit the process it goes away... there are always 4 instances of this app running when I am using it... any thoughts?

twiggs462, Jan 28, 2018
  5. twiggs462 Win User
    Here is the exact process

twiggs462, Jan 28, 2018
  6. afdude08 Win User
    Have you tried reinstalling google drive or reached out to them on this? They might be able to help you better on it since they made it

afdude08, Jan 29, 2018
  7. twiggs462 Win User
    I posted it on google support... I should have thought of that... thanks

twiggs462, Jan 29, 2018
  8. lx07 Win User

I do wonder why though.

It isn't as if you'd do it by mistake. You would have to deliberately program it to do that.

What could it be for? And for what benefit? Testing so you could easily open File Stream and then it was just forgotten about?

We will never know I suppose but if they do tell you, please update this thread. I'd like to know.

9. twiggs462 Win User
    I will surely let everyone know... I just don't like when I see things like that... I assume its chewing my battery up or something else. Will keep you posted if I get a response.

twiggs462, Jan 29, 2018
  10. lx07 Win User
    Hmmm. I removed Google Sync precisely because it was using a huge amount of CPU. On both my Windows and Mac Laptops it made the battery run down very fast.

This was almost 20 years ago though but like all old people I stick to my old beliefs (even if I'm wrong).

I guess they fixed it (or no-one would use it at all) but your square thing is weird. I'd stick with OneDrive but there is no particular reason to think it is better - it is terrible on MacOS at the moment for example. On Windows and Android it seems OK.

Anyway, let us know - it would be interesting.

11. twiggs462 Win User
    Here is the assumed fix they said to do.. I did it and it fixed it... something with the caching:

To resolve this issue, I’d recommend uninstalling the app, clear the app cache and then reinstall. This fixes most issues with Drive File Stream and you can do this following these steps:
    1. Click on the Drive File Stream icon in your task bar.
    2. Sign out and then click on the icon again and click ‘Quit’.
    3. Uninstall Drive File Stream.
    4. To locate the cache of the application, go to this location:
    Windows: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Google\DriveFS
    Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/DriveFS
    5. Delete the Google Drive folder entirely.
    6. Reinstall Drive File Stream from here.

twiggs462, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Small White Square in Upper Left Corner - Cannot Remove - Similar Threads - Small White Square

2. A small bar appears at the upper left corner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A small bar appears at the upper left corner: I installed a new game on my laptop yesterday. Whenever I try to press a key when playing the game, I get this small bar that stops me from playing my game. There seems to be nothing attached to it and my taskbar doesn't show an app opening either. Any ideas?...
  3. A small bar appears at the upper left corner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A small bar appears at the upper left corner: I installed a new game on my laptop yesterday. Whenever I try to press a key when playing the game, I get this small bar that stops me from playing my game. There seems to be nothing attached to it and my taskbar doesn't show an app opening either. Any ideas?...
  4. White line upper left corner before startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    White line upper left corner before startup: Ever since my PC crashed a couple of days ago, before startup, for like 30 seconds it started with like 5-10 seconds, a white line appears on the upper left corner of my screenNon-blinking. My PC does boot normally after this, but I would like to fix it before it won't boot...
  5. UPPER LEFT CORNER FLOATING WINDOW

in Windows 10 Customization
    UPPER LEFT CORNER FLOATING WINDOW: How do you remove this thing showing on the upper left of my screen, I dont have any third party apps installed, no Rainmeter or whatnots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upper-left-corner-floating-window/c031330f-533b-4473-9577-b25ceca7a946
  6. White box in upper left hand corner of desktop.

White box in upper left hand corner of desktop.: Hi, I recently purchased a new Dell laptop for my kid and put some Microsoft Family time limits on it. My son has kept on coming to me and showing me a white bar at the top left corner of the desktop. The bar will hide all of the apps until clicked on twice. One clicked on,...
  7. White bar in upper left corner of screen, help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    White bar in upper left corner of screen, help?: [ATTACH] There's some white bar in the corner of my desktop. I've had this issue for a little while, but it's been kinda on and off. I can drag it around sometimes, but I'm trying to right now and nothing's happening. I believe it has something to do with my desktop icons,...
  8. Small white square in upper left corner of screen can not be removed need help

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Small white square in upper left corner of screen can not be removed need help: The small white square is affecting the performance of my computer. i need to get rid of it. Help I'm using a surface pro with windows 10....
  9. Small Gray Rectangle in Upper Left Corner

Small Gray Rectangle in Upper Left Corner: First of all, I am using a Surface Pro 3. This problem is weird because it only happens once in a while when my laptop goes to sleep (but not always), and it only goes away once I restart my computer. [IMG] I cannot use my desktop while it is there, and I can move the gray...
  10. Rectangular Box in Upper Left Corner

in Windows 10 Support
    Rectangular Box in Upper Left Corner: I believe I accidentally generated this rectangular (not square) box while I was learning about the Magnifier. This rectangular (7.5 cm X 4.3 cm) box causes whatever is located underneath it to be slightly whiter than it normally would be. Everything functions properly while...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. duplicate window at upper screen