Windows 10: Smart App Control in Windows 11 explained

Discus and support Smart App Control in Windows 11 explained in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft unveiled a new security feature in a recent Insider build for its Windows 11 operating system that it calls Smart App Control. [ATTACH]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 7, 2022.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Smart App Control in Windows 11 explained

Microsoft unveiled a new security feature in a recent Insider build for its Windows 11 operating system that it calls Smart App Control.

Smart App Control in Windows 11 explained Windows-11-Smart-App-Control-SAC.png

Microsoft describes it as a security feature for Windows 11 "that blocks untrusted or potentially dangerous applications". Smart App Control runs in evaluation mode at first according to Microsoft, but it may turn itself on automatically.

SAC is first configured in evaluation mode. While SAC is in evaluation mode, it will learn if it can help protect you without getting in your way too much. If so, it will automatically be turned on. Otherwise, it will automatically be turned off. While in evaluation mode, a user can manually turn on SAC in the Windows Security app under the App & Browser Control section

The description is vague and it left many questions unanswered.

What is Smart App Control?

Smart App Control is a security feature that blocks malicious, untrusted and potentially unwanted apps on Windows devices.

• Malicious applications are flagged by Microsoft. They may do all sorts of unwanted things on a PC, including deleting files, pushing remote control software on devices, stealing data, monitoring user activities and more.
    • Untrusted applications are not necessarily malicious. Microsoft uses two main factors to determine whether an app is untrusted or not. The first determines whether the app is digitally signed, the second takes usage into account. Unsigned apps that Microsoft's cloud-based security service are not familiar with are considered untrusted.
    • Potentially unwanted apps may contain unexpected ads, slow down devices, or include offers for extra software that users don't want.

Smart App Control is only active on newly installed systems. Microsoft does not provide an explanation for this, but Microsoft wants to avoid issues with already installed applications probably at this stage. Users may enable Smart App Control manually on their devices.

The feature runs in evaluation mode in the beginning to determine whether the feature should be turned on or off. Evaluation mode monitors activity on the device, but it does not block anything in that mode.

Smart App Control is turned on or off after the evaluation period automatically. Windows 11 administrators may turn the feature on or off manually, if available. Once turned off, it can't be turned on again according to Microsoft unless a clean install is performed.

When Smart App Control is turned on, it will block the execution of applications that it flags on the device. There is no option to unblock applications, e.g., by adding them to an exclusions list.

Windows 11 users may configure Smart App Control by running a search for "Smart App Control" in the search box. It is part of Windows Security in the Settings application on Windows 11 devices.

Closing Words

Smart App Control unifies several Windows Defender's protections. Windows Defender is capable of blocking malicious apps from running, and users may enable support for blocking potentially unwanted apps as well. SmartScreen, another security component, blocks untrusted applications already. All of these are now unified in Smart App Control.

The lack of an override makes the feature unusable for most use cases at the time of writing. The only option that users have is to turn it off completely, but that means that it can't be turned on again easily according to Microsoft.

Now You: what is your take on Smart App Control?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Smart App Control in Windows 11 explained appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 7, 2022
  2. Junaid_A Win User

HP SMART app - crash

Hi Blair,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

• Were there any changes made on the computer prior to this issue?

Meanwhile, you may try the troubleshooting steps listed in the articles listed below and check if it works:

Regards,

Junaid_A, Mar 7, 2022
  3. Arun B J Win User
    IE 11 not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Internet Explorer. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Explorer.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Internet Explorer performance troubleshooter
    And also refer the link below and check if it helps.

Internet Explorer help

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Mar 7, 2022
  4. Smart App Control in Windows 11 explained

Smart Screen

Thank you for responding. Based on the details that you have provided, we'd like to suggest another option for you to disable SmartScreen. Follow these steps:

• On the Search bar, type Windows Defender Security Center.
    • Open Windows Defender Security Center settings and go to
      App & browser control
    • From there, you will see the options available for Windows Defender SmartScreen.
    Hit us back with an update.

Regards.

Jennifer Cha, Mar 7, 2022
Thema:

Smart App Control in Windows 11 explained

1. Smart App Control in Windows 11 explained - Similar Threads - Smart App Control

2. Smart App Control - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart App Control - Windows 11: With the new installation of Smart App control I am having problem downloading some what I call secure websites like for example :-Intel Driver Support Assistant - when completing download it requests restart which I do and on reboot I go into sign in screen and signthen...
  3. Smart App Control - Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart App Control - Windows 11: With the new installation of Smart App control I am having problem downloading some what I call secure websites like for example :-Intel Driver Support Assistant - when completing download it requests restart which I do and on reboot I go into sign in screen and signthen...
  4. Smart App Control

Smart App Control: Works good but seems to be an issue w/ Halo 100+ GB running locally.-k https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smart-app-control/67c4407b-049c-4adb-8a67-eeffc8ae6321
  5. Windows 11 22h2 Smart App control

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 22h2 Smart App control: HI I was wondering if someone could please clarify for me wether Smart App control will be installed with windows 11 22h2 home without a complete clean install of windows 11 home on my dell laptop. I was just reading about this security features that may be in windows 11...
  6. Windows 11 22h2 Smart App control

Windows 11 22h2 Smart App control: HI I was wondering if someone could please clarify for me wether Smart App control will be installed with windows 11 22h2 home without a complete clean install of windows 11 home on my dell laptop. I was just reading about this security features that may be in windows 11...
  7. Smart app control

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart app control: I learnt about a new update coming called the smart app control. I also read that it will require us to reset our pc. Can I somehow prevent that as I do not want to reset my windows 11 pc right now?...
  8. Smart app control

Smart app control: I learnt about a new update coming called the smart app control. I also read that it will require us to reset our pc. Can I somehow prevent that as I do not want to reset my windows 11 pc right now?...
  9. Smart App Control

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart App Control: So I used Visual Studio to create simple Windows apps that will automate my work, and most of these consist of less than 1,000 lines of code.I also made an app for my cousin that makes it easier for them to design menus and social media posters for their bakeshop, with few...
  10. Smart App Control

Smart App Control: So I used Visual Studio to create simple Windows apps that will automate my work, and most of these consist of less than 1,000 lines of code.I also made an app for my cousin that makes it easier for them to design menus and social media posters for their bakeshop, with few...