Windows 10: SMART high read error count etc. reason for concern?

Discus and support SMART high read error count etc. reason for concern? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently had one faulty disk. With my luck, this will die too... I did HDTUNE error checking test and deep scan with checkdisk 8 hours. Both found 0... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by empleat, Feb 13, 2021.

1. empleat Win User

SMART high read error count etc. reason for concern?

I recently had one faulty disk. With my luck, this will die too... I did HDTUNE error checking test and deep scan with checkdisk 8 hours. Both found 0 % errors. But still. Here is SMART, is there anything of concern. My last disk had status good too and then it got corrupted and probably dying given other symptoms.

This is from chkdsk:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.685]
    (c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk f: /b /v
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is Local Disk.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    128256 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    Phase duration (File record verification): 4.26 seconds.
    113565 large file records processed.
    Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.
    0 bad file records processed.
    Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 0.15 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    112 reparse records processed.
    129328 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    Phase duration (Index verification): 1.69 seconds.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    Phase duration (Orphan reconnection): 8.25 milliseconds.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    Phase duration (Orphan recovery to lost and found): 0.75 milliseconds.
    112 reparse records processed.
    Phase duration (Reparse point and Object ID verification): 1.36 milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Cleaning up 79 unused index entries from index $SII of file 9.
    Cleaning up 79 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 9.
    Cleaning up 79 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    Phase duration (Security descriptor verification): 12.33 milliseconds.
    537 data files processed.
    Phase duration (Data attribute verification): 0.17 milliseconds.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    8641456 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.
    Phase duration (USN journal verification): 74.62 milliseconds.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
    128240 files processed.
    File data verification completed.
    Phase duration (User file recovery): 7.77 hours.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
    43693252 free clusters processed.
    Free space verification is complete.
    Phase duration (Free space recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

3815429 MB total disk space.
    3644431 MB in 7187 files.
    2848 KB in 538 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    326839 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    174773012 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    976750079 total allocation units on disk.
    43693253 allocation units available on disk.
    Total duration: 7.77 hours (27992197 ms).

C:\Windows\system32>

:)

empleat, Feb 13, 2021
  2. Xen2050 Win User

SMART Error for HDD, cannot mount drive

Reading anything from the drive

In Ubuntu (Linux) you couldn't mount the drive, but it sounds like you gave up too easily, there's a world of difference between "filesystem inconsistencies / wasn't cleanly unmounted" that won't let an automatic mount, and "not recognized as a device, can't read a single sector" that you can read data & work with. Mounting can fail if windows is in "fast shutdown" mode, or there's filesystem errors, so it's definitely not a show stopper that it couldn't mount.

If a new /dev/sdX appears then you can read (or at least attempt to read) the drive, and read SMART info & attempt tests. Since it's a USB drive, after connecting it a new device /dev/sdX (X could be any letter) should show up, see dmesg & /var/log/syslog for info (especially errors if there's no new device - without a device it might not be possible to read anything, or even harder to try).

If you can read anything from the /dev/sdd device then it's looking much better that ddrescue (in package named gddrescue) or testdisk / photorec or something can get some data. Probably need root rights too, with sudo. Like sudo testdisk /dev/sdd or sudo photorec /dev/sdd.

• A very basic "read a little" with dd would be:

reading the first M (=1024*1024 bytes) from the drive, and
      • bs= is how many bytes to read/write in each "block"
      • count= is the number of "blocks" to take
      • skip=N skip N ibs-sized blocks at start of input
      • Just don't mix up the of=, it will overwrite almost anything!
    • To skip 1000M's and then read 1M, use:

Data Recovery

See File recovery - ArchWiki and/or DataRecovery - Community Help Wiki for more info, it can be involved. gddrescue has a great (but dry) GNU ddrescue Manual too, and search the web for lots more info.

testdisk & photorec are the easiest to use IMO, I don't even bother with foremost or scalpel. Their homepages have good guides, see TestDisk's & TestDisk Step By Step and PhotoRec's & PhotoRec Step By Step. If testdisk can read the existing files, then copying them might be fairly easy, photorec doesn't save original filenames or directory structure.

Sometimes errors will show up when attempting reads & they might fail, error messages will probably flood dmesg & /var/log/syslog then, I like to keep a terminal open running dmesg -w &/or tail -f /var/log/syslog to see new errors as they arrive. If you've got the space on another device, making a whole copy with gddrescue might be a good idea, it tries to skip over error sectors and read all the "good stuff" first, then try errors again later (or read "backwards", jump around, etc).

SMART & smartctl

You could use smartctl (in the smartmontools package) to read the SMART data & find out what it's errors are, even run new tests (but if the drive is failing, more tests could run down the clock on it's remaining life, so a backup first might be prudent). Here's my "notes" on smartctl:

Commands to generate reports:

• sudo smartctl --all /dev/sdX - prints all SMART info
    • sudo smartctl --xall /dev/sdX - prints all SMART and non-SMART info

If you're tracking changes, you could run a test every so often, saving it to a date-named file with:

To just get the "stats":

sudo smartctl -A /dev/sdX > $(date +"%Y-%m-%d_%H.%M")-sdX-smart-A

Tests

Use the option -t TYPE where TYPE is one of:

short maybe ~2min

conveyance maybe ~5m

long maybe ~55m

offline maybe ~73m (4380s)

[times are examples from an old drive]

But not all drives support all tests.

The -c option has a "Self-test execution status:" line that tells the current test's % remaining (if a test is running).

To see status could use:

Xen2050, Feb 13, 2021
  3. 95Viper Win User
    RAW Read Errors, help!

This post did not exactly give the answer needed.
    It will more than likely keep the same SMART data, even though you format it (low level or what); unless, you have some app that will wipe the SMART data.
    When you tested it in the other system, did the Raw Read Errors, Pending Sector Count or any other errors increase?

If the error counts still increase in the other system, then , definitely RMA it.
    It is, probably, partly bad luck and partly... sloppy quality control, in that case.
    If you do RMA that drive again, ask them to test the replacement before sending it.

However, if, the drive does not garner more errors, then you may need to looks else where for a problem.

EDIT:
    Just a couple of questions. Have you done a test on your other drive in the first system (not the miniITX)? Is it showing any errors?

95Viper, Feb 13, 2021
  4. SMART high read error count etc. reason for concern?

I have added the file count column to my folder in File Explorer. However, the actual file count is not displaying.

Hi Loren,

I appreciate if you could answer a
    few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• How did you added file count column for folders in File Explorer? What are the steps did you followed?
    • When you say, "actual file count is not displaying" is this issue specific to any folder or happening with all folders?
    • Have you installed any third party anti-virus on your system?
    Meanwhile, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if this helps.

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on View from navigation pane and choose Detail pane.
    Write to us with the above information and status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

ThofikhAhamad, Feb 13, 2021
Thema:

SMART high read error count etc. reason for concern?

1. SMART high read error count etc. reason for concern? - Similar Threads - SMART high read

2. SMART high read error count etc. reason for concern?

in Windows 10 Support
    SMART high read error count etc. reason for concern?: I recently had one faulty disk. With my luck, this will die too... I did HDTUNE error checking test and deep scan with checkdisk 8 hours. Both found 0 % errors. But still. Here is SMART, is there anything of concern. My last disk had status good too and then it got corrupted...
  3. Audio crackling, high DPC count ACPI.sys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio crackling, high DPC count ACPI.sys: [ATTACH] Hi, First things first, system info: Windows 10 x64 V 10.0.18363 CPU: i9-9900K MB: Asus Rog Maximus XI Hero GPU: Aorus Gefore 1080Ti Ram: 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 Audio Interface: Komplete Audio 6 The issue: I've been trying to fix my audio...
  4. High CPU usage for no reason

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    High CPU usage for no reason: Hi, A little while ago, while I was working on a project on my PC, I noticed that my computer started getting laggy, I didn't have much open, so I checked task manager to see what was causing the high usage and nothing came up. The CPU usage was really high and when I added...
  5. High read and write errors on brand new Seagate Barracuda

High read and write errors on brand new Seagate Barracuda: hi all I have on older PC with : Win10 Prox64 i5 3470 @ 3.6Ghz x 4 cores 12Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1333Mhz Intel Q series 8 motherboard (replaced from a Gigabyte H77M-D3H rev1.0 mobo with both BIOS's broke) 1Gb Nvidia GTX 650 on PCIe x16 v 3.0 250Gb Samsung EVO 860 SSD (no read or...
  6. computer stopped reading smart card

computer stopped reading smart card: Hi Up to yesterday I have been using a smartcard for over a year. Yesterday I played around with permissions to folders. today the computer no longer reads the smart card. It works in other computers. Any ideas? p.s. when booting up the computer the smart card lights...
  7. Smart Card not reading CAC

Smart Card not reading CAC: Hi, After a microsoft update a few months ago my smart card reader no longer recognize my CAC. When I would try to log onto military sites, it would say no certificates present. On activclient middleware, it would say no card reader detected. I am using a SCR331 and a...
  8. SSD read write concern

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD read write concern: I have a 512gb ssd from Samsung. I sometimes record with FBX game recorder. But then the recordings dont meet my standards and i delete the files. Does this do read writes to my ssd? Will this damage my ssd? the files are a bit big, like 500mb-2gb sometimes. 115631
  9. High CPU and memory for unknown reason

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    High CPU and memory for unknown reason: Hello, I got myself a pretty nice, pretty fast Acer Aspire laptop, about 3 months ago. It's definitely better than my old Acer Aspire. This one has more gb, more memory and a better video card. It can run a few games, it can run my art software, and it can handle that I'm...
  10. No more bing smart search? and other concerns

in Windows 10 Support
    No more bing smart search? and other concerns: I liked the graphical search that was available with Windows 8.1 and I don't understand why the current tech preview search app doesn't replicate this functionality. (I've attached a picture for those who aren't familiar with the feature) The search app that comes pinned to...