Windows 10: SMART status bad on secondary drive

Discus and support SMART status bad on secondary drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey all, hope you are well. I have an Asus ROG laptop (that honestly has been some trouble in the 4-ish years of owning it) and have recently run into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rootsFPV, Mar 23, 2021.

1. SMART status bad on secondary drive

Hey all, hope you are well.

I have an Asus ROG laptop (that honestly has been some trouble in the 4-ish years of owning it) and have recently run into this issue. I am getting this s.m.a.r.t status error on drive D and it tells me to backup and replace. The laptop has two hard drives. Because windows runs from C, I am still able to start up and run mostly as normal. However, drive D is now completely inaccessible and therefore I can't backup to an external drive in a normal way.

Also, a bit of background. I had a post here a bit ago with another drive D issue. I had 3 (that I can recall) folders completely vanish. These folders contained much of my photography from 2020 and many gopro files, along with all of my edited exports from Lightroom. Luckily, I did have backups, but unfortunately only through 2019. A week or two after that happened, the "gopro" folder appeared again...however, it was empty. None of the other folders have reappeared.

So, I guess my questions are:

- What the heck happened? I mean, the HDD failed, but why did 3 or 4 folders of many disappear before the whole thing went?

- Is there any way that I can backup the contents of drive D? Is the content that I had not backed up lost forever? I didn't backup a few recent things in fear of messing up any chance to recover the other folders...now it's all gone. Can a harddrive be repaired?

ANYWAYS. Any help, suggestions, condolences are appreciated. Good night for now.

submitted by /u/rootsFPV
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rootsFPV, Mar 23, 2021

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Mar 23, 2021
  3. SMART status bad and good

when I start up my Pc, I usually get the S.M.A.R.T status bad : Backup and replace. I know what the warning is, but I'm not sure "who" to trust:

CrystalDiskInfo says status is Good (at 87% though). To me it seems like weird stuff started to happen after installing Windows 10. I did a clean install.

However, it does boot up when i put a flash-drive with windows10 (UEFI) in the usb. It starts loading and I guess it recovers some corrupt boot files or whatnot.

Anyone have similar experience and/or can give advice? Could the error on boot be wrong somehow?

-- EDIT

I did as suggested, and found the utility diag tool for my exact drive (OCZ-ARC100). Here is an image that shows the stats I get:
    OCZ Drive - Diagnostics image

Oyvind Andersson, Mar 23, 2021
  4. SMART status bad on secondary drive

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown SMART status bad on secondary drive :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

SMART status bad on secondary drive

1. SMART status bad on secondary drive - Similar Threads - SMART status bad

2. Error status 0xc000012f - Bad Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error status 0xc000012f - Bad Image: Dell Inspiron is a few months old & came preloaded with Microsoft programs. I'm constantly receiving the following error message, 4 at a time. I don't use Microsoft Teams yet this error is a daily occurrence and have to close 4 error messages each time for everything else to...
  3. Error status 0xc000012f - Bad Image

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error status 0xc000012f - Bad Image: Dell Inspiron is a few months old & came preloaded with Microsoft programs. I'm constantly receiving the following error message, 4 at a time. I don't use Microsoft Teams yet this error is a daily occurrence and have to close 4 error messages each time for everything else to...
  4. Can only access BIOS, SMART status bad error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can only access BIOS, SMART status bad error: I opened my laptop after not using for 3 months. It did not boot. Did the diagnosis stuff on its own which did not work. I still could not access anything but bios. So, used my USB media to try to repair whatever is not working. Option to solve boot problems did not work....
  5. Can only access BIOS, SMART status bad error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can only access BIOS, SMART status bad error: I opened my laptop after not using for 3 months. It did not boot. Did the diagnosis stuff on its own which did not work. I still could not access anything but bios. So, used my USB media to try to repair whatever is not working. Option to solve boot problems did not work....
  6. Can only access BIOS, SMART status bad error

7. How to check SMART Failure Predict Status of Drives in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to check SMART Failure Predict Status of Drives in Windows 10: [ATTACH]S.M.A.R.T (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) often written as SMART is a monitoring system […] This article How to check SMART Failure Predict Status of Drives in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. SSD about to crash SMART status bad

SSD about to crash SMART status bad: My ssd is going to crash soon according to everything online and i am wondering if my old HDD I still have in my pc will still have windows on it. When i got this ssd all the games on the hdd wouldn't start and i had to redownload them. I am hoping once the ssd dies out and i...
  9. S.M.A.R.T status bad Backup and replace

S.M.A.R.T status bad Backup and replace: S.M.A.R.T status bad Backup and replace … this error shows up whenever I boot up my pc... what are the possibilities to fix this issue or needed to do?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smart-status-bad-backup-and-replace/880bd8f6-a4d2-438d-929e-07ba0633f2ba
  10. S.M.A.R.T Status bad

S.M.A.R.T Status bad: I have problems starting my computer with F1. It worked before but now it goes from restart to restart, then attempts automatic repair which fails. I,ve tried starting with a systems repair disk which also didnt work. What else can I do, or has my ASUS X53E laptop just died?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. smart status bad second storage windows 10