Windows 10: SmartCard Service error

Discus and support SmartCard Service error in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I'm experiencing an issue with my SmartCard.I thought it was the reader. It is not. I repeat, it's NOT the reader.I checked the service and noticed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by jimmieq, Jan 28, 2022.

1. jimmieq Win User

SmartCard Service error

I'm experiencing an issue with my SmartCard.I thought it was the reader. It is not. I repeat, it's NOT the reader.I checked the service and noticed that it's not running. I tried to start it and got an error:Windows could not start the Smart Card service on Local Computer.Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.I thought it might be the DLLs but a cursory look at SCardSvr.dll looks exactly the same as one on another machine that is working normally. I checked the dependencies; my computer and the known good computer have NO dependencies.I've

:)

jimmieq, Jan 28, 2022
  2. ITSodius Win User

Smartcard service never stays in "Automatic" mode

Hello,

For some banking operation, we (my company) must use a USB smartcard reader. Despite our efforts, the smartcard service is always disabled at startup, which is pretty annoying considering the operator is not administrator on its computer.

Any idea about that?

ITSodius, Jan 28, 2022
  3. xy677 Win User
    Smartcard login

Hi All

I have started to use a Smartcard to login to my Windows 10 Education machine. Logging in works fine but the one annoying problem I have is that when I boot up the machine and am at the login screen it ALWAYS defaults to using a password login. This even happens after successfully logging in with the Smartcard. ie: it doesn't "remember" that I last used a Smart card to login.

Is there a way to set the Smartcard as the default login? I still want the password login to be an option but I always want the Smartcard to be the default.

Basically, I want to turn the machine on and to then be presented with a PIN entry screen to login with my Smart card. (I'm the only person that uses this machine)

Currently I have to ALWAYS change from a password login by selecting the Smartcard on the logon screen and only then can I enter the PIN.

I also have to change from a password logon to a Smartcard logon even if I have just locked my machine!

So, is there a way I can set Windows 10 to ALWAYS default to using a Smartcard login?

I have clients that use Smartcards with Windows 7 and it always remembers the last logon type. Can Windows 10 do this as well?

For those interested I am using the following to use a Smartcard on a workgroup machine:

My Smart Logon - My Smart Logon

xy677, Jan 28, 2022
  4. Thanatica Win User

SmartCard Service error

Smartcard login

My new laptop, a Thinkpad T480s has a smartcard reader and is shipped with Window 10 Pro. How can I use the smartcard reader to log into Windows using a smartcard?

I'm not really interested in all kinds of technical stuff about smartcards, I'm just a home user and I have a smartcard reader and several smartcards that might be usable. Simple as that. I don't need filesystem encryption for now either.

I see it as just logging in with an alternative input - not unlike fingerprint login really.

But instead of fingerprint, I want to use smartcard.

How to do it?

Thanatica, Jan 28, 2022
Thema:

SmartCard Service error

1. SmartCard Service error - Similar Threads - SmartCard Service error

2. SmartCard Service error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SmartCard Service error: I'm experiencing an issue with my SmartCard.I thought it was the reader. It is not. I repeat, it's NOT the reader.I checked the service and noticed that it's not running. I tried to start it and got an error:Windows could not start the Smart Card service on Local...
  3. SmartCard Service error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    SmartCard Service error: I'm experiencing an issue with my SmartCard.I thought it was the reader. It is not. I repeat, it's NOT the reader.I checked the service and noticed that it's not running. I tried to start it and got an error:Windows could not start the Smart Card service on Local...
  4. Bitlocker with Multiple Smartcards

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker with Multiple Smartcards: Hi, I'm trying to use bitlocker with more than 1 smartcard at a time one for each user of the computer. Using passcodes isn't an option in this scenario. This was previously covered on TechNet, with the answer: You can use bitlocker volumes with as many startup key...
  5. Smartcard authentication and architecture

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Smartcard authentication and architecture: I have a smartcard that I cant get to work, Im not a tech but it seems like the driver for the reader or the card itself needs to be installed Its also possible that I need to use the card to authenticate for AAD, Its a MS smart card but it has a tmobile branding on it....
  6. Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Certificate Propagation Service crashes after inserting smartcard: I have a smartcard which holds 2 certificates, one RSA and one ECC certificate. On inserting the smartcard, if the Certificate Propagation Service (CertPropSvc) is running, it will import the RSA certificate successfully into the Personal store, and then crash. The ECC...
  7. Logon prompt not detecting smartcard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Logon prompt not detecting smartcard?: All, Isn't Windows supposed to detect a smartcard and prompt for a PIN at logon? When I insert my card, nothing happens. I can then login using a local account, open my card manager application and see the card with the identification and certificate information perfectly....
  8. Contactless smartcards for login?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Contactless smartcards for login?: In Windows 8/8.1 I could enroll a touchless smartcard and use it for a login. I am not seeing a way to enroll those in Windows 10. Anyone have any idea where that might be? Dell Latitude E7470 with fingerprint and both contact and contactless smartcard reader 49168
  9. Smartcard login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Smartcard login: Hi All I have started to use a Smartcard to login to my Windows 10 Education machine. Logging in works fine but the one annoying problem I have is that when I boot up the machine and am at the login screen it ALWAYS defaults to using a password login. This even happens...
  10. logon with smartcard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    logon with smartcard: Is it possible and if yes how to logon in windows 10 (home version 64-bits) with a smartcard? Open Source software? Microsoft build-in? I already installed the drivers for the smartcard reader and the middleware. I have a Belgian Eid card and I can connect to sites which...