Windows 10: Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow?

Discus and support Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello I have my firewall configured to block outbound connections that don't meet a rule. Although there are the default rules for Smartscreen still... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by xanderax, May 14, 2017.

1. xanderax Win User

Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow?

Hello I have my firewall configured to block outbound connections that don't meet a rule.
    Although there are the default rules for Smartscreen still enabled, smartscreen still gives it's error message "Windows smartscreen can't be reached right now". If I enable all outbound connections it works, but I don't want to do that.

What rule do I need to add to allow it to work?

:)

xanderax, May 14, 2017

2. Windows 10 Creators - How to disable Defender warnings when I have "Cloud Based" and "Automatic Sample Submission" turned off

That's a good start for a solution, Boris.

Here's the CLI for blocking sample submission for those who want to automate:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Block Sample Submission" dir=out action=block enable=yes profile=any localip=any interfacetype=any program="C:\Program Files\Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection\SenseSampleUploader.exe"

Now I still need to make the SmartScreen warnings go away.

Shawn K. Hall, May 14, 2017
  3. Stop Windows 10 Update Assistant from running

This has to be disabled in task scheduler and I go a step further and block it with the firewall also. Here is the script that I used in my environment:

@echo off

REM Stop Update Assistant if running

taskkill -f -im UpdateAssistant.exe

taskkill -f -im UpdateAssistantCheck.exe

taskkill -f -im Windows10Upgrade.exe

taskkill -f -im Windows10UpgraderApp.exe

REM Block Update Assistant with Windows Firewall

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistant.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistant.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistantCheck.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\UpdateAssistantCheck.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistant\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistantV2\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows\UpdateAssistantV2\Windows10Upgrade.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=in action=block program="C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" enable=yes

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Windows 10 Update Assistant" dir=out action=block program="C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" enable=yes

REM Disable Update Assistant Scheduled Tasks

c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistant" /DISABLE

c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantAllUsersRun" /DISABLE

c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantCalendarRun" /DISABLE

c:\windows\system32\schtasks.exe /change /tn "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\UpdateAssistantWakeupRun" /DISABLE

REM Remove Upgrader Application

IF EXIST "C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" (

"C:\Windows10Upgrade\Windows10UpgraderApp.exe" /ForceUninstall

timeout /t 30

)

exit

Adrian_2.0, May 14, 2017
  4. xanderax Win User

Update - I answered my own question.
    Using the event log to capture which connections were being blocked, I found that the 4 "Smartscreen" rules seem to be for apps that Smartscreen has decided are OK and it created those rule, and not for itself. So Smartscreen isn't smart enough to tell the firewall it itself is OK. =) I added a rule to unblock:

%SystemRoot%\System32\smartscreen.exe

and now it works.

Info on how to set up event log to see what is being blocked here...
    Windows Update and firewall - Windows 10 Forums

xanderax, May 14, 2017
  5. simrick Win User
    Thanks for posting your solution to help others in the future! *Thumbs

simrick, May 14, 2017
  6. Dingy Win User
    @xanderax,
    Thank you for you post. This helpt me a lot. Thanks

Dingy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Smartscreen blocked by firewall - how to add rule to allow? - Similar Threads - Smartscreen blocked firewall

2. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store: Hi,We have our firewall set to block all traffic, what addresses can we add to the firewall to allow access to Microsoft Store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules-to-allow-microsoft-store/b65afe65-536e-4355-9794-16ccdedc1be3
  3. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store: Hi,We have our firewall set to block all traffic, what addresses can we add to the firewall to allow access to Microsoft Store. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/firewall-rules-to-allow-microsoft-store/b65afe65-536e-4355-9794-16ccdedc1be3
  4. Firewall Rules to Allow Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Firewall rule(s) to allow all traffic through the firewall?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall rule(s) to allow all traffic through the firewall?: I'm tired of seeing the message that my firewall is disabled all the time. Is there a simply rule or rules that I can apply to the firewall that will allow all traffic to flow both ways? I have a hardware firewall that keeps the network safe, so the Windows firewall isn't...
  6. DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DNS Client allowed by firewall rule, but still get blocked: Hi, First; I am using Binisoft/Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control as frontend for Windows Firewall. My problem is that I allowed DNS Client to local gateway with UDP on port 53, but still for some reason it is being blocked. When opening the log window in Windows...
  7. Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules

Defender Firewall will not save "allowed app" rules: I am having a persistent, ongoing problem with allowing apps through Windows Defender Firewall (Windows 10 Pro 1809). Basically, the firewall is not remembering when I add an app to the list. From the control panel I am going to "Allow apps to communicate through Windows...
  8. How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet?

How do I create Firewall rule that allows LAN and blocks internet?: I want to create a firewall rule that allows a game executable to have lan access so I can play a lan game with my kid over my home network while blocking internet access. I am using windows firewall on windows 10 1803. 126065
  9. Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Inbound Firewall Rule that Blocks: Please help me understand how the 2 Inbound Rules created by MMC actually operate. Action, Enabled, Service, Program, Protocol Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, TCP Block, Yes, Any, C:\windows\system32\mmc.exe, UDP If these...
  10. Firewall rule to allow /24

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Firewall rule to allow /24: Is it possible to use this notation in a firewall rule? I am having issues with homegroup telling me the computer joined to the home group is currently unavailable even though they are set not to hibernate/sleep. If I disable the firewall(s) then try I can connect to from one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows firewall smartscreen

2. windows smartscreen firewall ports

3. smart screen url on firewall

4. windows smartscreen not going throug firewall,
  5. allowing smartscreen through bitdefender firewall,
  6. configure network firewall to allow smartscreen,
  7. firewall to allow windows defender smartscreen,
  8. smartscreen.exe firewall rule,
  9. event log to capture which connections were being blocked,
  10. windows smartscreen firewall rules,
  11. how to check which file is blocked by wd atp smartscreen,