Windows 10: SmartScreen cannot be switched to "Block" from "Warn"

Discus and support SmartScreen cannot be switched to "Block" from "Warn" in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; The "Blocked" option when selected will not stick; it reverts back to "Warn". This has happened on several machines I've worked on in our network over... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TMiq, Jan 24, 2020.

1. TMiq Win User

SmartScreen cannot be switched to "Block" from "Warn"

The "Blocked" option when selected will not stick; it reverts back to "Warn". This has happened on several machines I've worked on in our network over the last several days above four or five machines. I have Admin rights. This happens on both legacy Edge browser and the new Edge browser just released. Sometimes, the SmartScreen setting, when set to "Block" in the Admin account, won't carry over to a standard users account on the machine; the SmartScreen setting will be found on "Warn", not Block.

Even though some of those machines I ran a full refresh on, the problem reoccurred. The only way it seems I have been able to fix this, even when on a fully refreshed machine, is to run the onlinein-place upgrade repair install tool located at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. I also had to use this tool to repair the broken Windows 10 KB4528760 problem. The tool is easy enough to use, but it is a bit time consuming. I guess my concern is growing because this problem seems to be becoming a pattern. If so, then a lot of time will have to go into repairing more machines. Seems there should be a better and less time consuming solution than running thein-place upgrade repair install tool.

Microsoft, if you are reviewing this issue and want more details, let me know and I'll provide them. I think there is a pattern here. I am concerned that something like the SmartScreen feature has trouble being enabled and wont stick on "Block".

Thanks.

:)

2. MS Edge Browser Windows Defender Smartscreen (Warn vs Block)?

I just read a tutorial on how to set the SmartScreen filter for Edge. I see the settings to either Warn or Block. I also see images there on how the blocked content would look like. I went to the Demo page and done a few tests and gave me the same blocked content looking pages with both settings done while testing (Warn and Block), but I don't see any differences from the blocked content page. What is the difference between Warn and Block?
    Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 | Tutorials

win10freak, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    Smartscreen blocking an EXE

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any option to save password?
    • Which application are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Right click on the shortcut or in File explorer and select Run as administrator check if that helps.
    • Also observe when you type password do you get a prompt for saving password just above Taskbar.

You may also refer the link below and check if that helps.

Smart Screen Filter: FAQ.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/use-smartscreen-filter#ie=ie-11

Hope the issue with smart screen blocking exe will resolved. Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Jan 24, 2020
  4. SmartScreen cannot be switched to "Block" from "Warn"

turn Smartscreen off entirely?

Hi Dan,

SmartScreen Filter automatically scans applications, files, downloads, and websites, blocking known-dangerous content and warning you before you run unknown applications. If you wish to disable it, there are three different Windows SmartScreen
    filters (Block, Warn, and Off).

If you select Block, it will block unrecognized applications.
    Warn option will show you a warning that you can click through.
    Off
    will disable Windows SmartScreen entirely. Even if you chose
    Warn
    , SmartScreen will always block known-dangerous content. It will only warn you before running unrecognized applications; however, if you disable SmartScreen entirely, it won’t be able to block known-dangerous files. For this case, we suggest that
    after you saved your settings, try to restart your computer, and see if it works.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

SmartScreen cannot be switched to "Block" from "Warn"

1. SmartScreen cannot be switched to "Block" from "Warn" - Similar Threads - SmartScreen cannot switched

2. SmartScreen pops up "unrecognized app" warning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SmartScreen pops up "unrecognized app" warning: Hello!I'm working on a release of an update for software that's been around for 5 years. We have a EV certificate with Sectigo, which I understand is supposed to help with reputation. Nevertheless, when we go to install the software, SmartScreen pops up an "unidentified app"...
  3. SmartScreen pops up "unrecognized app" warning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SmartScreen pops up "unrecognized app" warning: Hello!I'm working on a release of an update for software that's been around for 5 years. We have a EV certificate with Sectigo, which I understand is supposed to help with reputation. Nevertheless, when we go to install the software, SmartScreen pops up an "unidentified app"...
  4. Windows SmartScreen is Blocking Every Download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows SmartScreen is Blocking Every Download: My Windows 10 Pro SmartScreen setting is blocking every single download. Even downloads from Microsoft.com and it does not give me any option to “Download Anyway” as all the advice sites are saying. How do I fix this and still have security? I should not have to turn it off...
  5. Windows SmartScreen is Blocking Every Download

Windows SmartScreen is Blocking Every Download: My Windows 10 Pro SmartScreen setting is blocking every single download. Even downloads from Microsoft.com and it does not give me any option to “Download Anyway” as all the advice sites are saying. How do I fix this and still have security? I should not have to turn it off...
  6. Windows SmartScreen is Blocking Every Download

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Windows Defender Smartscreen Warning

Windows Defender Smartscreen Warning: [IMG] Would I be safe to visit this site if I don't reveal any personal info? I sent them a message and they responded saying their site is safe. Duh, what else would they say? Thanks, Terry...
  8. Smartscreen. Smartscreen. Smartscreen.

Smartscreen. Smartscreen. Smartscreen.: Please try to understand: my problem is because of the Smartscreen. The Smartscreen is blocking installation of our software, Clone Files Checker. Our users are facing problem installing the program on their Windows 10 computers. I am the developer of the application and our...
  9. MS Edge Browser Windows Defender Smartscreen (Warn vs Block)?

in Browsers and Email
    MS Edge Browser Windows Defender Smartscreen (Warn vs Block)?: I just read a tutorial on how to set the SmartScreen filter for Edge. I see the settings to either Warn or Block. I also see images there on how the blocked content would look like. I went to the Demo page and done a few tests and gave me the same blocked content looking...
  10. Prevent Windows SmartScreen from blocking application in Windows 10

Prevent Windows SmartScreen from blocking application in Windows 10: I wrote a program for my personal use in Visual Studio 2013 and am trying to get it to run without Windows SmartScreen popping up every time I run the executable. I've been searching for about two hours now and have tried a number of different methods, including unblocking...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. is it block or warn