Windows 10: SmartScreen, despite being off, is triggered by certain programs

Discus and support SmartScreen, despite being off, is triggered by certain programs in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have SmartScreen turned off, but it is still interfering with at least two programs on my system. While the SmartScreen warning doesn't actually come... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Megalith, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Megalith Win User

SmartScreen, despite being off, is triggered by certain programs

I have SmartScreen turned off, but it is still interfering with at least two programs on my system. While the SmartScreen warning doesn't actually come up, the Task Manager reveals it is indeed running.

Is there a way to figure out why SmartScreen is being triggered?

:)

Megalith, Jan 11, 2019

2. SmartScreen not so smart.

Hi,

I would like to inform that Windows SmartScreen helps keep your PC safe by checking downloaded files and web content within apps to help protect you from malicious software and potentially unsafe web content. Before an unknown or potentially
    unsafe downloaded file is opened, Windows will display a warning. If SmartScreen detects potentially unsafe web content in an app, Windows will display a warning in place of the content. To disable SmartScreen, follow the steps below:

• Type SmartScreen settings in the Search box and press Enter.
    • Click on Change Windows SmartScreen Settings in the left navigation pane.
    • Select the option, Don't do anything (turn off Windows SmartScreen) and click on OK.

If you would like to develop a program, then suggest you to post your query in MSDN forums in the link provided below:

Msdn forums - Visual Studio General Questions

Hope the information provided is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 11, 2019
  3. Ramon Imp Win User
    Smartscreen can't be reached

Hi Judy,

It appears that your having problems downloading programs on your Windows 10 PC. For us to better understand your concern, we would like to know or clarify the following:

• What specific program are you trying to download?
    • Are you using a web browser to download the program?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer before the issue started aside from upgrading Windows?
    • Have you done any troubleshooting steps to resolve the problem?

If you're referring to SmartScreen Filter, you can learn more about it by visiting this
    article.

Keep us posted and we'll be glad to assist you further.

Ramon Imp, Jan 11, 2019
  4. SmartScreen, despite being off, is triggered by certain programs

turn Smartscreen off entirely?

I've done all the steps to turn Smartscreen OFF but it STILL blocks certain files I attempt to download.

Message: "This unsafe download was blocked by Smartscreen filter"

Windows 10, Edge

How can prevent this worthless filter from blocking these downloads?

dandreamingbear, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

SmartScreen, despite being off, is triggered by certain programs

1. SmartScreen, despite being off, is triggered by certain programs - Similar Threads - SmartScreen despite being

2. certain programs slowing down computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    certain programs slowing down computer: how do i put certain programs on my windows 10 computer to sleep? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/certain-programs-slowing-down-computer/46aad902-1d53-429f-8669-83475179aa5f
  3. Windows being cut off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows being cut off: One day I was going to change my Sounds for Windows, But I could not because it was cut off. Any way to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_general/windows-being-cut-off/6b5ff9dd-532f-4715-8ac6-d1be751364f4
  4. Programs being removed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Programs being removed: Why is windows 10 removing programs from my computer all by itself? It removed Firefox and Chrome from my desktop but not Edge or IE. Just a coincidence was it? It also removed a video player and a screen recorder, not yours of course. Yours returns error messages when I try...
  5. Turning Smartscreen back on (smartscreen can't be reached...)

in Windows 10 Support
    Turning Smartscreen back on (smartscreen can't be reached...): I believe I inadvertently switched off Smartscreen during setup so now, each time I try to install something, Windows says Smartscreen can't be reached right now. It's NOT my internet connection. Can someone help? 116595
  6. Network Activity by Delivery Optimization despite being turned off

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Network Activity by Delivery Optimization despite being turned off: Noticed this today on my laptop currently running Windows 10 Home x64 v1803 build 17134.191. [img] This happened when I ran the Settings app and clicked on 'Update & Security' whilst the system was still settling down immediately after Windows startup. I noticed that it...
  7. Cant run certain app program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cant run certain app program: I clean my registry. But i 4got to back it up.now, i cant click "file folder>options".Cant use system restore "error 0x80073b01 the resource cache doesnt have loaded mui entry" both in safe mode and normal mode.. And repairing windows failed.please help...
  8. Turn off SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Turn off SmartScreen Filter in Windows 10: Hi, According to this page: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=vs.85%29.aspx Navigate to section :: "To turn off Turn on SmartScreen Filter to check web content (URLs) that Windows Store apps use:" I have created a .bat file with the following contents:...
  9. BSOD When Using Certain Programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD When Using Certain Programs: Tends to happen on a daily basis for whatever I'm doing. Looking for solutions to this problem because this issue is really aggravating *Mad Thanks for any help that is provided. 30347
  10. Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off SmartScreen for Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: SmartScreen Filter is a good thing to have on. I use it. For example I reported that I think download(dot)com has malicious software(their installers that also have installers with hidden and evil PUPs). More people should report such download sites, and maybe(just maybe)...