Windows 10: smartscreen.exe hyperactive since update to 20H2

Discus and support smartscreen.exe hyperactive since update to 20H2 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; ...and I noticed because it makes mylaptop vent harder. It runs for about 10 min after startup. I didnt not notice any other issues (drivers and such)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nope_on_wheels, Nov 1, 2020.

1. smartscreen.exe hyperactive since update to 20H2

...and I noticed because it makes mylaptop vent harder. It runs for about 10 min after startup.

I didnt not notice any other issues (drivers and such) after updating.

Anyone has this issue too?

submitted by /u/nope_on_wheels
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nope_on_wheels, Nov 1, 2020
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Smartscreen blocking an EXE

Hi,

Please answer these questions to assist you better.

• Do you get any option to save password?
    • Which application are you referring to?

Follow the steps below and check if that helps.

• Right click on the shortcut or in File explorer and select Run as administrator check if that helps.
    • Also observe when you type password do you get a prompt for saving password just above Taskbar.

You may also refer the link below and check if that helps.

Smart Screen Filter: FAQ.

What is SmartScreen and how can it help protect me?

Hope the issue with smart screen blocking exe will resolved. Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Nov 1, 2020
  3. sfeinst Win User

I do not get an option to save the password (nor would I think I would want that). What I am getting is the Smartscreen popup which states Windows Smartscreen prevented an unrecognized app from running. Saving a password would by pass a check so that does
    not seem like a good idea.

Running as administrator did not change anything. Smartscreen still popped up stating it was an unrecognized app.

The application is Action! PC Football. I installed the game and it ran fine. They provided an update (which was a new EXE) and that ran fine. They have provided a newer update and that is the one getting the popup.

Since they are saying they compiled the code in the same way, why is Smartscreen flagging this version and not a prior one.

The FAQ did not help. It implied I was getting a message from a browser and it is from trying to run the actual program. The other suggestion in the FAQ was to disable Smartscreen. If that is the recommendation by Microsoft, then I fail to understand
    why they provide a check they recommend disabling?

sfeinst, Nov 1, 2020
  4. sfeinst Win User

smartscreen.exe hyperactive since update to 20H2

I am using an application that when I installed it worked fine. The company sent out an update which was a new EXE which overlays the prior one. Now Smartscreen is displaying a message that the EXE may not be safe and I have to provide the administrator
    password to run the program. I checked with the company and they said they compiled the code exactly the same. So why is Smartscreen flagging this version? And how do I get it to stop? I do not want to keep providing my admin password every time I run
    it.

sfeinst, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

smartscreen.exe hyperactive since update to 20H2

1. smartscreen.exe hyperactive since update to 20H2 - Similar Threads - smartscreen exe hyperactive

2. Two issues since I updated to 20H2.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Two issues since I updated to 20H2.: Several weeks ago, my laptop automatically updated from 1909 to 20H2 regardless of my will. Since it's updated, two issues happened. 1 Slow shutdown time It took around 15 sec to shut down before and takes more than a minute now. 2 Voice recorder not working When I...
  3. Explorer crashes for no known reason since 20H2 update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer crashes for no known reason since 20H2 update: explorer seems to freeze randomly. Usually after leaving a browser window open for a few minutes without using it. Have tried a few fixes, but still crashing unpredictably. Mouse works fine and can go to another open tab if there is one and back to the first and this solves...
  4. changes in ADO since 20H2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    changes in ADO since 20H2: Hi All, Sorry if this is a repost, I can't seem to find the original post nor a reply, so perhaps something went wrong with the post. I notice that the file msado15.dll is dated Jan 2021 but I cannot find any information about any updates to the ADO functionality in...
  5. No audio since 20H2 update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No audio since 20H2 update.: My realtek based onboard sound no longer works. It shows it's playing sound but nothing comes out my speakers. My bluetooth headphones (soundcore Life Q20) function normally. I had fixed it with a modded driver but after a few reboots it no longer works again. Everything was...
  6. Windows Mail not working properly since 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Mail not working properly since 20H2 update: I am running Windows 10 Home 20H2, OS Build 19042.685 Since the 20H2 update every time I open Windows Mail App it ramps the fans up, but task manager displays 0% for all tabs When the app opens, emails will load but then freeze and this happens 90% of the time! If the mail...
  7. Long pause during boot since update to 20H2

in Windows 10 Support
    Long pause during boot since update to 20H2: Would really value some help with resolving this issue, i've tried lots of different things and im now out of ideas. Problem: Desktop PC , Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 MSI motherboard, C drive is 1Tb SSD. After the PC updated to the latest windows version 20H2, the boot process...
  8. Keyboard not working properly since 20H2 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard not working properly since 20H2 update: Since I updated to the 20H2 version, my laptop has been having issues with some keyboards 3, e, d & c. I could resolve the problem by pressing e, d and c at the same time but this morning I did another update and there's no way to make those keys work. Is there a way to fix...
  9. Start up/Shutdown quirks since updating to 20H2

in Windows 10 Support
    Start up/Shutdown quirks since updating to 20H2: I am pretty sure this all started happening after I updated to 20H2 Startup its not an actual problem relating directly to the startup process, thats fine. Its the startup tab on taskbar shows every process as not measured except for skype which is disabled. I know it works...
  10. Smartscreen. Smartscreen. Smartscreen.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Smartscreen. Smartscreen. Smartscreen.: Please try to understand: my problem is because of the Smartscreen. The Smartscreen is blocking installation of our software, Clone Files Checker. Our users are facing problem installing the program on their Windows 10 computers. I am the developer of the application and our...