Windows 10: SMB file servers keep asking for credentials

Discus and support SMB file servers keep asking for credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have both Windows 10 SMB and Linux Samba file servers. The share permissions are: browsable (Linux) / turn on file and printer sharing (Windows)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Livy Inverse, Apr 22, 2019.

1. SMB file servers keep asking for credentials

I have both Windows 10 SMB and Linux Samba file servers. The share permissions are:

• browsable (Linux) / turn on file and printer sharing (Windows)
    • guest ok (Linux) / turn off password protected sharing (Windows)
    • Appropriate file system level permissions on both servers (not really matters here)

Most of the time, using a Windows 10 client to connect to the shared folder is straight forward, just \\my-server and it is fine. But sometimes, it keep asking for credentials for unknown reason.

SMB file servers keep asking for credentials 83de1903-dd22-4fab-b664-a2570faccf3d?upload=true.png

It won't connect if I leave all fields blank. Sometimes I need to type a random user account with a blank password, and sometimes both a random account plus a random password to pass that stupid prompt. Linux clients do not suffer from that issue, at least by using smb://my-server on Ubuntu's Nautilus and select Connect anonymously.

To make the problem worse, let's say I have a shared printer on the server. After a client provides a random user + password, he can connect to the server and use the shared printer. After a few days, he suddenly cannot print using the previously added printer, until he tries to connect and provides a random user + password again (the printer does not need to be re-added). Looks like the junk user + password time out after a few days (even if you do check Remember my credentials).

I've forwarded the port to my test server, so you can try to connect to it using \\113.178.30.205 , although I can't guarantee it will ask you for credentials. The issue occurs randomly. What could be the cause of the problem?

:)

Livy Inverse, Apr 22, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Credential Guard lab companion

Source: Credential Guard lab companion Datacenter and Private Cloud Security Blog

See also:

Brink, Apr 22, 2019
  3. AM*
    Am* Win User
    Uber file server build -- suggestions

Uber file server build -- suggestions?

I'm currently in the process of buying stuff for my file server build. Going to try and keep this build all in one thread this time.

Stuff already bought:

• Motherboard (socket 1155 H61)
      RAM (1600MHz)
      PCI SATA cards
      Operating System (Windows 8 + FreeNAS)
      SSD
      CPU (35w Pentium Ivybridge 2.6GHz)
    Looking for suggestions on:

• GPU -- use the on-die GPU or buy a PCI-E graphics card (was thinking of a 7750)? My only requirement is that it is able to run 1080p mkv files and play Blurays without a problem.
      Case -- needs to hold as many 3.5" drives as humanly possible (more than 10 at least), while not being too expensive
      PSU -- needs to be able to run over 40 SATA HDDs as well as 6xPCI RAID cards and 1xPCI-E 2.0 RAID card. Silver, Gold or Platinum?
      CPU Cooler -- fanless or not?
      Case fans
    That's all I can think of for now...unless I'm forgetting something...oh and one more thing -- I will be buying the hard drives two at a time as I run out of space. Also the PCI-E RAID card will be bought a lot later down the line, as I've only just got enough hard drives for 1 out of 6 of my PCI SATA cards.

Any suggestions, feel free to post. Thanks

4. SMB file servers keep asking for credentials

SMB server in High availability

Hi ,

i am planning to deploy SMB server in our company,we have 1500 end users which is connected to our domain,i have two side DC and DR.so main concern is i want deploy SMB server in high availability,but i am not sure how to dont, know more about of this technical
    specification .

Details below for deployment

1.Windos 2016 server std

2.Virtualization

3.External Storage

Dharmendra kumarsharma, Apr 22, 2019
Thema:

SMB file servers keep asking for credentials

1. SMB file servers keep asking for credentials - Similar Threads - SMB file servers

2. Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials: Everything I log out / restart my PC I have to login to my OneDrive which I have set as Network Drive.I have to remove the "MicrosoftAccount\" part and I can click ok to connect it already has the right password in place. Clicking the "Remember my credentials" does has no...
  3. Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials: Everything I log out / restart my PC I have to login to my OneDrive which I have set as Network Drive.I have to remove the "MicrosoftAccount\" part and I can click ok to connect it already has the right password in place. Clicking the "Remember my credentials" does has no...
  4. Onedrive as Network drive keeps asking for credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows keep asking your credentials

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows keep asking your credentials: Dear, One of our customers is complaining about this message, that is why I did put all accent on the problem.Sadly there are tons of solutions regarding with the Group Policy which are not a solution for this issue.This started to appear when the user changed the sing in...
  6. Outlook keeps asking for smtp credentials

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook keeps asking for smtp credentials: I have this strange problem starting about 3 days ago. Every now and then outlook 2016 keep asking me to save username and pw to smtp server. I enter the credentials but the same message comes back again. I logged into my mail account repaired the mail but it still comes up ....
  7. Safety of Login credentials for SMB...

Safety of Login credentials for SMB...: How safe is it to enter login credentials in an app to allow it access to network drives? I use multiple apps on Android & iOS to connect to my Windows laptop over SMB. This requires me to provide the app with my Windows Login Credentials, which is basically my Microsoft...
  8. SMB share credentials

SMB share credentials: Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows...
  9. WebDAV keeps asking for credentials

WebDAV keeps asking for credentials: Hi, Some of my clients have slightly different issues about WebDAV connections. Some of them are prompted on each file (essentially PDFs and MS Office files), some of them on first connection, some of them only with PDFs. The connection is of course saved in the Windows...
  10. OneDrive keeps asking for credentials at every boot.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive keeps asking for credentials at every boot.: Hi to everybody. First of all, I know there are a lot of topics regarding this issue. Still, I didn't find anything which could help me. A few infos: I'm running the Insider Build 14332, and this problem started to show up since this last installation; I've already...