Windows 10: SMB folder sharing after going passwordless with the microsoft account

Discus and support SMB folder sharing after going passwordless with the microsoft account in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello,I recently changed my microsoft account to be passwordless, so I login through the notification sent to my phone's microsoft authentication app.I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by william_747, Jul 23, 2022.

1. SMB folder sharing after going passwordless with the microsoft account

Hello,I recently changed my microsoft account to be passwordless, so I login through the notification sent to my phone's microsoft authentication app.I am trying to access shared folder on my windows 11 PC in my LAN from my iOS device . default is SMB i thinkAnd since I log into my personal PC using a locally stored PIN, I have no way of accessing the shared folders on my LAN using my microsoft account email and password, because the password does not exist anymore, and I also cannot use my PIN because the PIN is local to the PC. I do not want to allow folder sharing without password protect

:)

william_747, Jul 23, 2022
  2. WonChang Win User

Signed in Windows 11 with passwordless account. What is the credential info of folder sharing?

I installed Windows 11 and signed in with passwordless microsoft account. Then I shared a folder on the local network.

Folder was shared without any issue. When I try to access the shared folder from another PC, it asks the credential info like username and password.

Before changing to passwordless, I was able to access the shared folder with my microsoft account email and password.

Now my Windows account is passwordless. I have tried the previous password, Windows Hello 4-digit pin or blank password, nothing worked.

- How can I access the shared folder of Windows 11 with passwordless microsoft account?

- Is there any method to set the manual password for the shared folder?

- Should I change it back to the password-pretected account?

I already know that it is possible to make it accessible without password in Control Panel - Advanced sharing settings, but I don't want to share it without password.

WonChang, Jul 23, 2022
  3. ltr.az Win User
    Windows File share with microsoft accounts

I can see the folder through network explorer and I can read and write to the raid folder fine ok as long as the permissions is everyone so I think the Raid part is not related nor impacting SMB sharing.

I toggled the SMB features off and rebooted, toggled back on and rebooted..

The SMB and HW is all functioning it is more a question of how to correctly use the access controls/permissions.

I log into the two machines with the same MSA and see the shared folder. But if "everyone" is not in the permissions I do not have access to the contents.

I initially thought I would just add the *** Email address is removed for privacy ***/ThisPC to the permissions list but this does not seem to be sufficient;
    So I need information on is what is the best way to share files with "family" MSA accounts with SMB file sharing? Is it best to make local accounts for each user or how do I specifically setup the fileshare to authenticate with the SMB
    MSA accounts?

ltr.az, Jul 23, 2022
  4. WonChang Win User

SMB folder sharing after going passwordless with the microsoft account

Signed in Windows 11 with passwordless account. What is the credential info of folder sharing?

SMB folder sharing after going passwordless with the microsoft account dc1955d5-e6c1-4dfa-8dea-86e76fd0240a?upload=true.png

Microsoft dev team is already aware of it. Problem solved by turning off the passwordless account to use sharing and remote desktop.

WonChang, Jul 23, 2022
Thema:

SMB folder sharing after going passwordless with the microsoft account

1. SMB folder sharing after going passwordless with the microsoft account - Similar Threads - SMB folder sharing

2. SMB folder sharing after going passwordless with the microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMB folder sharing after going passwordless with the microsoft account: Hello,I recently changed my microsoft account to be passwordless, so I login through the notification sent to my phone's microsoft authentication app.I am trying to access shared folder on my windows 11 PC in my LAN from my iOS device . default is SMB i thinkAnd since I log...
  3. Going Passwordless

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Going Passwordless: I have Microsoft Authenticator, but, how do I sign into my account if I lose my phone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/going-passwordless/f76946d2-6473-4895-8c00-d3995d5dadd0
  4. Going Passwordless

Going Passwordless: I have Microsoft Authenticator, but, how do I sign into my account if I lose my phone? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/going-passwordless/f76946d2-6473-4895-8c00-d3995d5dadd0
  5. Signed in Windows 11 with passwordless account. What is the credential info of folder sharing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Signed in Windows 11 with passwordless account. What is the credential info of folder sharing?: I installed Windows 11 and signed in with passwordless microsoft account. Then I shared a folder on the local network.Folder was shared without any issue. When I try to access the shared folder from another PC, it asks the credential info like username and password.Before...
  6. Signed in Windows 11 with passwordless account. What is the credential info of folder sharing?

Signed in Windows 11 with passwordless account. What is the credential info of folder sharing?: I installed Windows 11 and signed in with passwordless microsoft account. Then I shared a folder on the local network.Folder was shared without any issue. When I try to access the shared folder from another PC, it asks the credential info like username and password.Before...
  7. Passwordless Account!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Passwordless Account!!!: Hello.On September 17, I read the news that it is possible to disable the password entry when entering the account, replacing it with a confirmation from the phone. The feature is called "Passwordless account". I followed the link in my account on the page to enable this...
  8. Passwordless Account!!!

Passwordless Account!!!: Hello.On September 17, I read the news that it is possible to disable the password entry when entering the account, replacing it with a confirmation from the phone. The feature is called "Passwordless account". I followed the link in my account on the page to enable this...
  9. How to protect SMB shared folders with a password?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to protect SMB shared folders with a password?: I've shared some folders in Windows to access them from my phone and laptop, but they are visible and accessible to everyone connecting on my WiFi, so I want to protect those shared folders with a password. How can I do that? submitted by /u/Rachid90 [link] [comments]...
  10. How to protect SMB shared folders with a password?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to protect SMB shared folders with a password?: I've shared some folders in Windows to access them from my phone and laptop, but they are visible and accessible to everyone connecting on my WiFi, so I want to protect those shared folders with a password. How can I do that? submitted by /u/Rachid90 [link] [comments]...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. passwordless microsoft account smb share password

2. windows 10 microsoft account passwordless smb share