Windows 10: smb question

Discus and support smb question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; No problem, just a question. I am wondering why in my case access to shares between two desktop PC's takes place with smb v2 and not with smb v3. W10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PiKo, Mar 15, 2020.

1. PiKo Win User

smb question

No problem, just a question.
    I am wondering why in my case access to shares between two desktop PC's takes place with smb v2 and not with smb v3.
    W10 Pro, v1909
    As said, communication is ok, no problem.

:)

2. PiKo Win User

smb question

No problem, just a question.
    I am wondering why in my case access to shares between two desktop PC's takes place with smb v2 and not with smb v3.
    W10 Pro, v1909
    As said, communication is ok, no problem.

3. emelsom Win User
    How to solve problems with accessing, discovering and connecting to NAS with SMB connection from Windows 10

I am hoping Microsoft themselves, is picking this question up, and taking this seriously, and will answer this urgently, as it is causing us all so much frustration.

emelsom, Mar 15, 2020
  4. smb question

Detail questions about NTLM and SMB

These questions concerns Windows in general, not only Windows 10.

What combinations of auth (LM, Net-NTLMv1, Net-NTLMv2, Kerberos) and SMB (1,2,3) are possible? All?

Are all available authentication-mechanisms listed in my question or is there any missing method?

Regarding SMB encryption and signing:

1. Which parts of the communication are signed when SMB signing is used? How does it prevent MITM (e.g. using ARP spoofing) and how does the key exchange work? I would expect that the Domain Controller is used as a CA for a PKI, is that true? How does this
    work if no domain is present (and thereby no trust-anchor)?

2. When does SMBv3 start to encrypt a transfer (if agreed upon)? At Auth already, starting with the requests or only the payload (e.g. files)?

3. Are signatures always evaluated, or is it possible that a SMB-server signs and a SMB-Client does not check/verify signatures? If possible, when does this happen?

Regarding Net-NTLM v1 and v2:

1. Is the SID included in Net-NTLMv1 and v2 authentications or only domain name and user name? Can a server be asked for the SID that corresponds to a user name?

2. NTLMv1 does "usually include LMHash and NTHash" - but under which circumstances are which hashes included and are which hashes checked? If there is no LMHash (Vista and newer) is NTLMv1 not usable? Is it possible to obtain a LMHash by asking for Net-NTLMv1
    in domain-Levels > 2013 ?

3. What is the client challenge in Net-NTLMv2 good for? I guess it is for optional server authentication, but how can the client verify? Or does the server track the client challenges in order to not allow the same client challenge again (replay prevention)?

Thank you very much.

A. Nonymous_588, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

smb question

1. smb question - Similar Threads - smb question

2. Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?: We are using an IDS solution which frequently triggers multiple access denied and unsuccessful login alerts over the port 445. We took a network capture and identified the multiple failed login and access denied instances were present in the logs.However, there were no failed...
  3. Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?: We are using an IDS solution which frequently triggers multiple access denied and unsuccessful login alerts over the port 445. We took a network capture and identified the multiple failed login and access denied instances were present in the logs.However, there were no failed...
  4. Is failed login and access denied with SMB an expected behaviour?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How the SMB network connection issues to be fixed in S2D 2 node cluster, Mellanox adapter...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How the SMB network connection issues to be fixed in S2D 2 node cluster, Mellanox adapter...: configured IP for 2 nic ports on each node and executed the cluster validation report was successful , Installed DCB and changed few DCB related settings for RDMA RocE v2 post configuring the cluster and enabling the S2D in 2 node, facing issue with SMB connections please...
  6. Question about SMB multichannel on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about SMB multichannel on Windows 11 Pro 23H2: Hi everyone,I recently did some tests about the SMB multichannel, and the results made me confusing, and I hope someone can tell me what went wrong.Hardware:A Synology NAS with 8*14TB HDDs, RAID5, four built-in 1Gbps LAN ports. The transfer speed of the disks array could...
  7. Question about SMB multichannel on Windows 11 Pro 23H2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about SMB multichannel on Windows 11 Pro 23H2: Hi everyone,I recently did some tests about the SMB multichannel, and the results made me confusing, and I hope someone can tell me what went wrong.Hardware:A Synology NAS with 8*14TB HDDs, RAID5, four built-in 1Gbps LAN ports. The transfer speed of the disks array could...
  8. Question about disabling SMB 1.0/CIFS Client!

Question about disabling SMB 1.0/CIFS Client!: Hello, I have 4 computers on my home network. And I know it is very important to disable SMBv1 on Windows. So I disabled SMB 1.0/CIFS Server which does not cause any issues but if I also disable SMB 1.0/CIFS Client it stops my computers from showing in the network folder....
  9. SMB, Network Issues and a Hidden Network Question...

SMB, Network Issues and a Hidden Network Question...: I updated to 1903 and now I can't file share between two PC (one is updated, the other isn't). So I read the tutorial on this site, which has an option to enable SMB. Does this expose a security issue? What is the best "how-to" to set up file sharing on Win10 machines?...
  10. Detail questions about NTLM and SMB

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Detail questions about NTLM and SMB: These questions concerns Windows in general, not only Windows 10. What combinations of auth (LM, Net-NTLMv1, Net-NTLMv2, Kerberos) and SMB (1,2,3) are possible? All? Are all available authentication-mechanisms listed in my question or is there any missing method? Regarding...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. smb scan to folder windows 10 pro