Windows 10: SMB share credentials

Discus and support SMB share credentials in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AAAtech, Jan 24, 2020.

1. AAAtech Win User

SMB share credentials

Hi,

I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows cannot access..... you do not have permission....."

When i add that user's local synology account to the folder, they can access the folder. could it be that the user's computer is trying to access the folder using their local synology account credentials and not the AD credentials? is there a way to check what credentials windows is sending to access the synology SMB share?

that server doesn't appear in Windows Credentials, but it's not asking for credentials at all, so something is going on

Thanks,

Albert

:)

AAAtech, Jan 24, 2020
  2. AAAtech Win User

Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share?

Hi,

I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows
    cannot access..... you do not have permission....."

When i add that user's local synology account to the folder, they can access the folder. could it be that the user's computer is trying to access the folder using their local synology account credentials and not the AD credentials? is there a way to check
    what credentials windows is sending to access the synology SMB share?

Thanks,

Albert

AAAtech, Jan 24, 2020
  3. SMB file servers keep asking for credentials

I have both Windows 10 SMB and Linux Samba file servers. The share permissions are:

• browsable (Linux) / turn on file and printer sharing (Windows)
    • guest ok (Linux) / turn off password protected sharing (Windows)
    • Appropriate file system level permissions on both servers (not really matters here)
    Most of the time, using a Windows 10 client to connect to the shared folder is straight forward, just \\my-server and
    it is fine. But sometimes, it keep asking for credentials for unknown reason.

SMB share credentials 83de1903-dd22-4fab-b664-a2570faccf3d?upload=true.png

It won't connect if I leave all fields blank. Sometimes I need to type a random user account with a blank password, and sometimes both a random account plus a random password to pass that stupid prompt. Linux
    clients do not suffer from that issue, at least by using smb://my-server on Ubuntu's Nautilus and select Connect anonymously.

To make the problem worse, let's say I have a shared printer on the server. After a client provides a random user + password, he can connect to the server and use the shared printer. After a few days, he suddenly
    cannot print using the previously added printer, until he tries to connect and provides a random user + password again (the printer does not need to be re-added). Looks like the junk user + password time out after a few days (even if you do check Remember
    my credentials
    ).

The issue occurs randomly. What could be the cause of the problem?

Livy Inverse, Jan 24, 2020
  4. gtsolid Win User

SMB share credentials

Entering a SMB share

Hi everyone,

in W10 i shared a folder and i want to enter them using "ES File Explorer" in Android.

From that app i'm requested for user e psw.

SMB protocol are active:

Using "whoami" i know my username, but what about the psw? using the one i use everyday for entering (and that's the same for my hotmail linked account) i don't succeed

gtsolid, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

SMB share credentials

1. SMB share credentials - Similar Threads - SMB share credentials

2. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  3. Credential for file sharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Credential for file sharing: This question has been asked before but I cannot see an answer that has worked. Microsoft should publish an answer if there is one, and not rely on the Community..I am trying to share files between a Windows 10 PC and a Windows 11 PC. File Explorer shows both computers on the...
  4. No Share tab for SMB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Share tab for SMB drive: Hello guys,This is my first time here, and the subject I am asking is quite new so please bear with me.What I am basically want to do is for my Xiaomi CCTV camera to transfer the captured video to my external SSD which I have hooked up to the back of my router.This is the one...
  5. No Share tab for SMB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Share tab for SMB drive: Hello guys,This is my first time here, and the subject I am asking is quite new so please bear with me.What I am basically want to do is for my Xiaomi CCTV camera to transfer the captured video to my external SSD which I have hooked up to the back of my router.This is the one...
  6. Safety of Login credentials for SMB...

Safety of Login credentials for SMB...: How safe is it to enter login credentials in an app to allow it access to network drives? I use multiple apps on Android & iOS to connect to my Windows laptop over SMB. This requires me to provide the app with my Windows Login Credentials, which is basically my Microsoft...
  7. Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share?

Check what credentials is windows sending when accessing an SMB share?: Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows...
  8. SMB file servers keep asking for credentials

SMB file servers keep asking for credentials: I have both Windows 10 SMB and Linux Samba file servers. The share permissions are: browsable (Linux) / turn on file and printer sharing (Windows) guest ok (Linux) / turn off password protected sharing (Windows) Appropriate file system level permissions on both servers...
  9. Entering a SMB share

Entering a SMB share: Hi everyone, in W10 i shared a folder and i want to enter them using "ES File Explorer" in Android. From that app i'm requested for user e psw. SMB protocol are active: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>...
  10. Shared Drive Credentials

in Windows 10 Support
    Shared Drive Credentials: I've been experimenting with setting up an old PC (running 10) as a NAS, and I've created a few shared drives with specific ones allowing access to specific users. Most of the shared drives will accept my login info, which is the exact same on my desktop (the client PC). This...