Windows 10: SMB still using my old password.

Discus and support SMB still using my old password. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I am using the SMB protocol to move a few files. My SMB configurations only work with my old password. I changed my password a while ago... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/WoiLou, Feb 1, 2021.

1. /u/WoiLou Win User

SMB still using my old password.

Hello,

I am using the SMB protocol to move a few files. My SMB configurations only work with my old password.

I changed my password a while ago (Microsoft Account) but SMB is still using the old password.

How can I fix this?

submitted by /u/WoiLou
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/WoiLou, Feb 1, 2021
  2. ncazer Win User

Safety of Login credentials for SMB...

Ok so similar but slightly different question:

Background:

• Storage hosted by my Linksys WR32X Router (see screenshot) with authentication credentials
    • SMB v1, v2, and v3 are all enabled on my Win10 PC via the "Enable Features" window (and I've restarted my PC)
    • My Windows 10 account uses my MS Live email address as a username and I have 2-step authentication set up as well

A Timeline:

• The NAS successfully shows up and is accessible from the Network page in Win Explorer
    • I've successfully mapped the storage to a Network Drive in Windows using the authentication credentials I set in my router's settings page (again see screenshot)
    • When I try to access the SMB share via a separate device on my network (my FireTV device running Kodi 17--which supports up to SMB v3), I get caught in an endless loop of it asking for a username and password.
      • I've tried using the credentials I set in my router settings, which worked when I mapped the share to a network drive in windows, and it didn't work in Kodi
      • I've tried un-mapping and re-mapping the share to a network drive using my windows 10 account username and password instead of the credentials set in my router settings, which did not work for either mapping the drive in windows or for accessing it in Kodi
      • I also tried generating an app-specific password via my Microsoft account settings in case the 2-step authentication set on my account was causing the issue (much like you have to do to add your account to Outlook Desktop App when 2-step is set up)

I just want to access my SMB share from my FireTV device (or any network device for that matter) without having to create a new local user. I saw some responses saying that I need to set up a new local account and use it's credentials to map the drive and
    then it should work, but is this REALLY necessary? It seems like a redundant workaround...

So, what if I don't want to create a new local user? I like having jut one account on my Win10 PC and that uses my
    MS email address as the Win10 Account username.

Any suggestions? What am I missing here? Thanks in advance MS community!

SMB still using my old password. 9aaede1e-cf27-4d47-a560-8636238a3d1a?upload=true.png

ncazer, Feb 1, 2021
  3. Bob Marks Win User
    Reuse/Reset an old Password

Thanks for your quick response. But my problem is that M.S. says old password con not be used. I want to switch back to my old password. I think I need to contact M.S. to clear the registry for my passwords. Then, I will be able to switch back.

Bob Marks, Feb 1, 2021
  4. Namslas90 Win User

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Feb 1, 2021
Thema:

1. SMB still using my old password. - Similar Threads - SMB still using

2. File Sharing Using old Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Sharing Using old Password: I am sharing my whole drive via windows 11,via the advanced sharing option i only gave my Microsoft account access to the drive now when trying to connect via a different pc using my current Microsoft account password it doesn't work,using my old password instead works to...
  3. File Sharing Using old Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Sharing Using old Password: I am sharing my whole drive via windows 11,via the advanced sharing option i only gave my Microsoft account access to the drive now when trying to connect via a different pc using my current Microsoft account password it doesn't work,using my old password instead works to...
  4. Should I still use my old MY BOOK externaL?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Should I still use my old MY BOOK externaL?: I have an old WD 750GB MY BOOK which is FAT 32. I also had another one the same which failed last year. Am I ok still using it or should I start using a smaller external I have, which is newer and NTFS? I have Windows 10 version 20H2 175506
  5. Should I still use my old MY BOOK externaL?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I still use my old MY BOOK externaL?: I have an old WD 750GB MY BOOK which is FAT 32. I also had another one the same which failed last year. Am I ok still using it or should I start using a smaller external I have, which is newer and NTFS? I have Windows 10 version 20H2 175506
  6. Unable to re-use old password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Unable to re-use old password: Why do I have to change my password after 20 years? I now have issues with my account and never have before Microsoft said i have to change my password and cant reuse any of the three passwords i have rotated for all my accounts... I definitely dont understand companies...
  7. old microsoft account still asking for password

in Windows 10 Customization
    old microsoft account still asking for password: I switched to a new Microsoft account over a year ago. I switched Outlook, Office, Skype, and of course the main Microsoft account. All seem to be using the new account and they all list the new account email. However, I daily get a popup stating there is a problem with the...
  8. Windows 10 still accepting my old password at logon

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 still accepting my old password at logon: I am trying to change my logon password, but windows 10 just accepting my old password at logon. why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-10-still-accepting-my-old-password-at/bf6841c4-a1af-4ca8-8f0a-0d13cb80ae2c"
  9. Using an old password

Using an old password: Hi there, Is there anyway I can reuse a previous password i’ve already used? It’s so frustrating that if i change, it says i can’t use an old password. Thanks....
  10. an old microsoft sign in password still works

an old microsoft sign in password still works: hi. I have changed my Microsoft log in password but the old one still works. I'm using win.10 thanks Amos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/an-old-microsoft-sign-in-password-still-works/a5927f74-8370-44fb-9426-88fb0a482d90"