Windows 10: SMB1 Error

Discus and support SMB1 Error in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I have a NAS that I have been using for years. All of a sudden I get the following error when I try to connect to it; You can't connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Potzki, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Potzki Win User

SMB1 Error

Hello all,

I have a NAS that I have been using for years. All of a sudden I get the following error when I try to connect to it;

You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attach.

Your system requires SMB2 or higher.

This NAS helds backups of all my files and is quite important. Is there a way of fixing this error?

Thanks,

:)

Potzki, Apr 28, 2019
  2. DavidY Win User

SMB1 Product Clearinghouse

The list does rely on vendors adding themselves to it though.
    I have an old Seagate Goflex Home NAS drive which isn't on the list but, as far as I can make out, needs SMB1 to work.
    (Leastways, I've not managed to connect after I tried disabling SMB1.)
    But unless Seagate add themselves, they won't be on that Microsoft page.

DavidY, Apr 28, 2019
  3. I disabled SMB1. My network computers are no longer listed. What can I do?

Without working SMB 1 (e.g. by disabling it as suggested here), browsing for computers
    with shares using Windows Explorer will not work any longer (as expected). They are still available by using \\COMPUTER\... which, I guess, involves a DNS lookup, but they are not listed automatically.

• What graphical or non-graphical (cmd, PowerShell) ways are there on Windows 10 to list remote machines which offer shares?
    • Does running with or without a Domain change the available options?

Gameplay_Ethan, Apr 28, 2019
  4. SMB1 Error

SMB1 disabled; No longer have access to mapped network shares via File Explorer

As per Microsoft suggestion I disabled the SMB1 protocol to stave off Wcry type attacks. At the same time I made sure SMB2 protocol was enabled. Now, i can no longer access mapped network shares using File Explorer. To verify the situation I turned SMB1
    back on and was again able to use File Explorer successfully. The network drive is operating properly; I checked using the browser admin features over IP. At present SMB1 is still off and SMB2 is on.

What must I do short of re-enabling SMB1 to allow File Explorer to access the network drive?

M.B.

Config; Windows 10 Pro - latest, Synology DSM - latest

Major Bystander, Apr 28, 2019
Thema:

SMB1 Error

1. SMB1 Error - Similar Threads - SMB1 Error

2. Is my printer using SMB1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is my printer using SMB1?: I got a new printer. HP 6055e. I got it all setup with difficulty, which is annoying because they are supposedly trying to make it easier to setup and tried out printing, copying, photo printing, and scanning.Then I downloaded the online documentation which I always do....
  3. Is my printer using SMB1?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is my printer using SMB1?: I got a new printer. HP 6055e. I got it all setup with difficulty, which is annoying because they are supposedly trying to make it easier to setup and tried out printing, copying, photo printing, and scanning.Then I downloaded the online documentation which I always do....
  4. Does Windows 11 Pro allow smb1 under any circumstances?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does Windows 11 Pro allow smb1 under any circumstances?: How can I be sure that SMB1 doesn't get activated ever?Under Windows Features in Control Panel there is a setting "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". And I see "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal". What worries me is the popup description that says, "Automatically removes...
  5. Does Windows 11 Pro allow smb1 under any circumstances?

Does Windows 11 Pro allow smb1 under any circumstances?: How can I be sure that SMB1 doesn't get activated ever?Under Windows Features in Control Panel there is a setting "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support". And I see "SMB 1.0/CIFS Automatic Removal". What worries me is the popup description that says, "Automatically removes...
  6. smb1 disabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  7. smb1 disabled?

smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  8. The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?: :..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2? What do I need to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-mapped-network-drive-could-not-be-created/a73634ee-8c44-4111-857c-b06038aadf17
  9. The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?

The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?: :..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2? What do I need to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-mapped-network-drive-could-not-be-created/a73634ee-8c44-4111-857c-b06038aadf17
  10. Microsoft will disable the SMB1 client in Windows this year

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft will disable the SMB1 client in Windows this year: Microsoft announced plans to disable SMB1 (Server Message Block) in Windows this week. The SMB1 protocol was created in 1983 at IBM and Microsoft began to fade out support for the product in 2017 with the release of the Fall Creators Update for the company's Windows 10...