Windows 10: SMBv1 client uninstalled if not used for 15 days

Discus and support SMBv1 client uninstalled if not used for 15 days in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there just another little annoyance on Networking from Ms. Hidden away in small print on the Ms site is this : ....Windows 10 Home and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Dec 29, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

SMBv1 client uninstalled if not used for 15 days

Hi there

just another little annoyance on Networking from Ms.

Hidden away in small print on the Ms site is this :

....Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Professional still contain the SMBv1 client by default after a clean installation. If the SMBv1 client is not used for 15 days in total (excluding the computer being turned off), it automatically uninstalls itself.......

Sometimes people legitimately don't use computers for a while -- if I install a feature I should decide whether or not to uninstall it -- or at the very least get a message containing something like "You haven't used xxxxxxx for a while - do you want to uninstall it".

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 29, 2017
  2. DetestMS Win User

Windows 10 Creator Update fails to install

Off topic but I have just spent half a day chasing up why my Win 10 Tablet could not see any other devices on the Network. I could not connect to either of my NAS even by entering the Network name. Only when I tried to map one of the drives did I get
    an error message saying it was SMBv1 and my System was configured for SMBv2. It seems after the creator update if you do not use SMBv1 for 15 days in uninstalls it!!!!! Of course being a Tablet it was not connected. Why oh why does MS do this ****!

DetestMS, Dec 29, 2017
  3. Gymbos Win User
    Can't map a drive after update

From another forum:

"Might be the SMBv1 Uninstalled by Update 1709 issue?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

It certainly isn't a "friendly" write up that is for sure .....written for IT Pros I think but I found I only needed the SMB1.0 Client re-enabled for things to be fine again after playing with different
    settings.

T.D.L :

FCU disables and removes SMBv1 after 15days if it hasn't been used, (eg turning on my old Synology NAS i found I couldn't connect to do a backup), But you can turn it back on in:

Control Panel>Programs and Features>Turn Windows Features on and Off>SMB 1.0/CIFS and checking just the SMB1.0 Client box worked
    for me.

Once you do this Win10 will no longer disable it automatically as it assumes you need it, if you it turned back on."

This worked for me.

Gymbos, Dec 29, 2017
  4. SMBv1 client uninstalled if not used for 15 days

Microsoft turning into the younger sibling who sees the food you left in the fridge being saved and eats it lol

kingtez1984, Dec 29, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Yeah that is bizarre. But it does say excluding the computer being turned off ie this would only kick on of you left it on for 15 days and smbv1 client was never used. Whilst annoying perhaps I can see why it is done. If you left a pc on accidentally, thinking it was shutdown, risk increases over time of being hacked.

The thing that does need to be tested is if the new autostart app feature interferes as that does not do a full shutdown. If it did, and you did not use smbv1 client, it would auto delete every 15 days.

Problem is the way MS have done it is safer albeit heavy handed perhaps.

cereberus, Dec 29, 2017
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

SMBv1 client uninstalled if not used for 15 days

1. SMBv1 client uninstalled if not used for 15 days - Similar Threads - SMBv1 client uninstalled

2. No internet for 15 minutes after booting up, and DNS Client uses 30% CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No internet for 15 minutes after booting up, and DNS Client uses 30% CPU: Hello everyone, I'm having a very unusual bug on Windows 11When I turn on my computer, it doesn't connect to the internet, the icon on the taskbar looks like it's connected, but no webpage or program has connection.On the meanwhile, Service Host: Network Service - DNS Client,...
  3. No internet for 15 minutes after booting up, and DNS Client uses 30% CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No internet for 15 minutes after booting up, and DNS Client uses 30% CPU: Hello everyone, I'm having a very unusual bug on Windows 11When I turn on my computer, it doesn't connect to the internet, the icon on the taskbar looks like it's connected, but no webpage or program has connection.On the meanwhile, Service Host: Network Service - DNS Client,...
  4. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  5. SMBv1 keeps getting disabled

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMBv1 keeps getting disabled: Hi All,I've just received a new corporate laptop with exact same W10x64 version 10.0.19042.1526 as the old one. Unlike the old one, which doesn't have any problems using SMBv1 client, the new one rejects my attempts to use it with the following text in the pop-up window even...
  6. SMBv1 File Sharing Not Working

SMBv1 File Sharing Not Working: The inner workings of Windows area bit of an enigma to me, so I really need some help here. I work in a small office, and we have a local file sharing network set up where I can access shared folders/files on any computer. I have been working at the same computer Windows 10...
  7. Enabling SMBv1 breaks netlogon

Enabling SMBv1 breaks netlogon: I need to enable SMBv1 for a domain computer. This computer needs to connect to an SMBv1 LAN. I enabled the optional feature for SMBv1 - but the connection was still refused. I ran these commands: sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/mrxsmb20/nsi sc.exe...
  8. Can't uninstall Parallels Client.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't uninstall Parallels Client.: I uninstall the application, but it keeps coming back for some reason. submitted by /u/maksudul14 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kzem6x/cant_uninstall_parallels_client/
  9. How to uninstall Acer Cloud Client

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to uninstall Acer Cloud Client: I am running Win 10 on an MSI PC. For some reason, Acer Cloud Client is on my PC in the X86 folder and I am unable to uninstall it in the usual way because it's in the X86 folder, I presume or even delete the files here is says 'folder in use' no matter what I try. I do...
  10. Can NET VIEW Ignore Server Using SMBv1?

Can NET VIEW Ignore Server Using SMBv1?: I have, for some time, been fighting the "SMBv1" battle. Some progress has been made: I managed to get a computer to not only show up under Network but actually display its shared directories. It had stopped doing so at some time in the past; when, I do not know, for a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. smb1 depracation 15 days