Windows 10: Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice

Discus and support Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have the Windows 10, version 1909 with the latest update installed OS Build 18363.752. I have had this issue related to the 'Snap windows' feature... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rbbb42, Mar 30, 2020.

1. rbbb42 Win User

Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice

I have the Windows 10, version 1909 with the latest update installed OS Build 18363.752.

I have had this issue related to the 'Snap windows' feature for a while:

Under Settings > System > Multitasking, I have enabled the 'Snap windows' feature with all the options checked.

I often use the 'Windows_Key + Arrow_Key' keyboard shortcut to snap the active window; however, most of the time, I have to press this shortcut twice to snap the window. By dragging the window, I have no issue. This issue only happens when I use the keyboard shortcut.

The first time I press this shortcut, it does move the active window to the direction indicated by the Arrow_Key, but a small upper portion of the title bar of the active window is cut by the display's upper boundary, and it does not show the other windows that I can snap next to it.

The second time that I press the shortcut, it then properly snaps the active window no more cutting title bar and shows the other windows that I can snap next to it.

I do want to add the fact that I use a multi-display setup.

Here are the screenshots that better describes my situation:

• After pressing the keyboard shortcut for the first time:

Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice [​IMG]

After pressing the keyboard shortcut for the second time:
    Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice 49f597ab-e98a-4780-a711-26d77c783da0?upload=true.png

Please, any help would be appreciated. The previously recommended solutions of making sure that the keyboard is clean and updating drivers for keyboard and graphics card doesn't do anything.

The issue affects most apps, such as google chrome, native windows apps such as settings, and edge. However, it doesn't appear to affect Microsoft Office which further complicates the situation, as always pressing the shortcut twice can't even be a temporary/consistent makeshift solution.

:)

rbbb42, Mar 30, 2020
  2. kimih12 Win User

Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut)

I have the Windows 10, version 1903 with the latest update installed (October 24, 2019—KB4522355 (OS Build 18362.449), at the time of writing).

I have had this issue related to the 'Snap windows' feature for a while:

Under Settings > System > Multitasking, I have enabled the 'Snap windows' feature with all the options checked.

I often use the 'Windows_Key + Arrow_Key' keyboard shortcut to snap the active window; however, most of the time, I have to press this shortcut twice to snap the window. By dragging the window, I have no issue.
    This issue only happens when I use the keyboard shortcut.

The first time I press this shortcut, it does move the active window to the direction indicated by the
    Arrow_Key, but a small upper portion of the title bar of the active window is cut by the display's upper boundary, and it does not show the other windows that I can snap next to it.

The second time that I press the shortcut, it then properly snaps the active window (no more cutting title bar) and shows the other windows that I can snap next to it.

I do want to add the fact that I use a multi-display setup.

Here are the screenshots that better describes my situation:

• After pressing the keyboard shortcut for the first time:

Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice [​IMG]

• After pressing the keyboard shortcut for the second time:

Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice 8e626177-d850-4238-942d-9e4f5705abbd?upload=true.png

Please, any help would be appreciated.

kimih12, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Windows 10: Snap Assist keyboard shortcuts suddenly not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. We understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

Please share the information:

1. Did you make any changes to the computer before the problem occurred?

2. Does other keyboard shortcuts work?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if the issue persists.

• Press Windows + X keys and click
      command prompt(admin).
    • Type the following commands in command prompt one by one and press Enter after each command.
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 30, 2020
  4. kimih12 Win User

Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut)

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply.

I have had this issue with different keyboards, so most probably not an HW problem.

I did go through my device manager to check if there were any outdated drivers related to the keyboard or the graphics card as you suggested, but everything was up-to-date.

Since this issue occurs occasionally, I tried recreating the issue under different circumstances and noticed that pressing the shortcut 'Windows_KEY + Arrow_Key' once, while the active window is maximized does not snap the window
    properly as described above.

Can you check whether the snap windows feature (triggered with 'Windows_KEY + Arrow_Key') properly works with a
    maximized active window?

kimih12, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice - Similar Threads - Snap Assist Issue

2. Keyboard Shortcut Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Shortcut Issue: Hello, I don't know if i'm writing this in the right thread so I apologize ahead of time. I just recently upgraded to a laptop that does not have the numeric number pad, I have always been able to do the "Alt + 3" to do a heart emoji but now I am unable to do it with the...
  3. Keyboard Shortcut Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Shortcut Issue: Hello, I don't know if i'm writing this in the right thread so I apologize ahead of time. I just recently upgraded to a laptop that does not have the numeric number pad, I have always been able to do the "Alt + 3" to do a heart emoji but now I am unable to do it with the...
  4. Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap: I have been trying to find a solution to this but have come up with nothing. I am having trouble with resizing windows with the mouse, where it automatically either maximises or snaps to one side when it is not my intention. I want to disable this, but the two options I...
  5. Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut): I have the Windows 10, version 1903 with the latest update installed (October 24, 2019—KB4522355 (OS Build 18362.449), at the time of writing). I have had this issue related to the 'Snap windows' feature for a while: Under Settings > System > Multitasking, I have enabled...
  6. Snap Assist issues in May 2019 build 18362

Snap Assist issues in May 2019 build 18362: Hi, Since I've upgraded some Windows 10 computers to May 2019 (1903) build 18362, Snap Assist is no longer functioning. I cannot drag with my mouse to have multiple windows displayed. I've noticed that some Windows 10 computers on my network that have not been upgraded...
  7. Snap Assist error

Snap Assist error: I've had this this problem for months. Using Snap assist to put a window onto the right third requires me to place it in specific places outside of the box, and even then, the window will occupy (just shy of) half of the screen instead of the intended third, as shown in the...
  8. keyboard shortcuts with the windows key snap assist

keyboard shortcuts with the windows key snap assist: I am unable to snap on my windows 10 machine via the keyboard shortcut (windows key + arrow of the diection of snap) because everytime I hit the windows button it opens the start menu. How do I access all the keyboard shortcuts that start with the windows key if it always...
  9. Windows snapping keyboard shortcut hotkeys not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows snapping keyboard shortcut hotkeys not working: Hi, So suddenly today while rearranging windows, snapping stopped working. I'm unable to snap windows using the Win + Left/Right/Up/Down. Moving the windows with the mouse still works, but not with the keyboard hotkeys. As you can imagine this is incredibly inconvenient...
  10. Snap / Snap Assist isues

in Windows 10 Support
    Snap / Snap Assist isues: I am not at all sure Snap & Snap Assist are working as they should. I find it rather confusing to sort out what to expect, having read some articles about it (here and elswhere.) The most obvious sign is that there is no transparent overlay. I have never seen this...