Windows 10: Snap Crackle Pop Hum noise

Discus and support Snap Crackle Pop Hum noise in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My 2016 refurbished HP ENVY m7 Notebook recently (< 3 weeks) started making odd noises. (Win 10 Home v1909 then v2004) When I power it on, between POST... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GrandpaR, Aug 18, 2020.

1. GrandpaR Win User

Snap Crackle Pop Hum noise

My 2016 refurbished HP ENVY m7 Notebook recently (< 3 weeks) started making odd noises.
    (Win 10 Home v1909 then v2004)
    When I power it on, between POST and power-on password, it will do a loud click with sometimes a bit of a hum.
    Does the same when waking from sleep.
    Will occasionally snap / pop while in use or idle.
    Noise seems to come from speaker area above keyboard. Makes it hard to tell if it's hardware or coming through the speakers. I haven't been able to pin it down to left or right.
    I can hear the fan cycle and it does not sound labored. I ran HP Assist tests and nothing found.

I flipped it and vacuumed the fan area; it wasn't real bad. It did not resolve the issue.
    I removed the bottom case for inspection, expecting to find lots of dust and/or some scorching from arcing components, but found neither. It was very clean inside and I could see no sign of anything loose, arcing, nor burnt components. Unfortunately, I could only see the bottom side of the motherboard. I did do a little more compressed air & vacuuming.

(I have reviewed Loud buzzing noise
    Dell Inspiron 24 5459 AIO making humming noise
    and done everything I can for cleaning and testing fan.)

Back together, I applied the Win 10 v2004 update (moving up from v1909).
    I cloned v1909 using Clonezilla (a linux app). Some/all the time linux was running, it made a low humming noise.During all of the above, my audio is muted. I now toggled mute off/on and it crackled/popped about 25% of the time, increasing my suspicion of an audio hardware/software issue.I checked all the audio drivers and they are up-to-date.Applied v2004 update. At least twice during the update reboots, it sounded like a siren, about half as loud as a smoke alarm, for 5-10 minutes. When v2004 finished installing, it was back to snap/pop/hum. This is making me think more that it is an audio hardware/software issue.During all of the above, my audio is muted (and battery out).

So, it could be a loose speaker wire (sound works fine) above the motherboard.
    It could be some other component on top side of motherboard that is arcing / failing.
    It could be software that is sending bad signals to speakers.

I know one can't diagnose hardware remotely.
    My big questions:
    1) Has anyone heard of anything odd like this as a result of recent MS updates?
    2) Anyone run into a similar hardware issue?

My big fear is a component on top side of motherboard that is arcing / failing and starting a fire.
    I bought it in 10/2016 as refurbished, so it could be due for replacement and is a bit old for repairs, but it's otherwise running great. I got a great price for it and haven't seen anything like it (17" 16GB RAM 1TB HDD) for less than $1,000.

HP ENVY m7 Notebook
    Windows 10 Home v1909 now v2004
    Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz
    16GB RAM
    Laptop + HP 23" additional monitor via HDMI
    Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 32 bit color
    Hard Drives: 1TB HHD

:)

GrandpaR, Aug 18, 2020
  2. Micah Bat Win User

Crackling noise

Hi,

To better assist you regarding your concern, we would like to ask some questions:

• Is the crackling noise affecting the performance of your computer?
    • Which part of your computer do you hear the crackling noise?

There are many reasons why your computer is having a noise. It can be that your computer's fan or air vent is covered with dust. Cleaning it can help you resolve your concern. It can be that your BIOS is not updated, you can update your BIOS with the help
    of your computer's manufacturer.

We're looking forward to your response.

Micah Bat, Aug 18, 2020
  3. MatTheCat Win User
    (Xi-Fi) snap & crackle problems in most games

I have the XtremeGamer XiFi Fatal1ty Professional.....had it over a year and it cost almost £100 back then........

BF2 Snap crackle pop
    GRID Snap Crackle Pop
    STALKER Snap Crackle pop (that bad I just dont play it cos of this)

call me a sucker for marketing hype, but I thought 'GAMER' edition would entail it was especially good for 'GAMING'....

My onboard (actually, I dont have onboard but the soundcard I got with my ASUS MF mobo) is disabled and I have no other conflicting drivers installed.

MatTheCat, Aug 18, 2020
  4. Scrizz Win User

(Xi-Fi) snap & crackle problems in most games

I guess I'm lucky, I get no Snaps, Crackles, Pops, or Fizz

Scrizz, Aug 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Snap Crackle Pop Hum noise - Similar Threads - Snap Crackle Pop

2. Clicking/Crackling/Popping/Throbbing Noise Emitted by Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking/Crackling/Popping/Throbbing Noise Emitted by Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700: This thread's purpose is to aid whoever faces and confront a similar hurdle to that which I have encountered. Summary:Briefly, while I was working on my previous laptop Inspiron 15 5584, it has shut down abruptly. The laptop could not be salvaged, it turned out that the...
  3. Clicking/Crackling/Popping/Throbbing Noise Emitted by Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clicking/Crackling/Popping/Throbbing Noise Emitted by Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700: This thread's purpose is to aid whoever faces and confront a similar hurdle to that which I have encountered. Summary:Briefly, while I was working on my previous laptop Inspiron 15 5584, it has shut down abruptly. The laptop could not be salvaged, it turned out that the...
  4. Clicking/Crackling/Popping/Throbbing Noise Emitted by Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Screen flickering and crackling noises

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen flickering and crackling noises: pls i need help. my pc monitor is flickering with some lines and going off an on randomly. this problem has been going on for a week and i tried updating, reinstalling my graphic drivers, running a few disk scans. then my speakers also make a crackling mild sound that...
  6. Weird Crackling/Popping noise

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird Crackling/Popping noise: when i try to play any audio on my Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5, it makes a weird crackling/popping noise (i only have 1 audio device in settings) submitted by /u/King_Savage_276 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m3f23l/weird_cracklingpopping_noise/
  7. Crackling noises

Crackling noises: Hi Excuse my English So my input for my jacks in my Provonto computer don't work correctly, I constantly heared crackling noises and my mic didn't work. So i bought a something where i can put my jacks in and then connect that to a usb port. Link to product: not exactly...
  8. Audio Snap/Crackle/Popping

Audio Snap/Crackle/Popping: I've been trying to work out a problem with my Windows Hello Face and apparently inadvertently messed up the audio. Every video has some varying degrees of crackling. Please help! I can't stand the noise....
  9. Crackling Noise

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crackling Noise: My Laptop (HP-14 CK0121TU) is making a crackling noise with windows 10. It does not make the sound in Safe mod and even using Ubuntu. I recently bought it and installed windows 10 on it. I used the key from my old Dell laptop which is broken. I Tried Updating the sound...
  10. Speakers making a buzzing/humming noise

Speakers making a buzzing/humming noise: Hello! I'd really apreciate some help with this issue, as it has become quite annoying to me. My speakers are constantly emitting a sound which can be best described as a buzzing noise. I am fairly confident that this is electrical interference. Because of this, I have...