Windows 10: Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut)

Discus and support Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have the Windows 10, version 1903 with the latest update installed (October 24, 2019—KB4522355 (OS Build 18362.449), at the time of writing). I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by kimih12, Oct 28, 2019.

1. kimih12 Win User

Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut)

I have the Windows 10, version 1903 with the latest update installed (October 24, 2019—KB4522355 (OS Build 18362.449), at the time of writing).

I have had this issue related to the 'Snap windows' feature for a while:

Under Settings > System > Multitasking, I have enabled the 'Snap windows' feature with all the options checked.

I often use the 'Windows_Key + Arrow_Key' keyboard shortcut to snap the active window; however, most of the time, I have to press this shortcut twice to snap the window. By dragging the window, I have no issue. This issue only happens when I use the keyboard shortcut.

The first time I press this shortcut, it does move the active window to the direction indicated by the Arrow_Key, but a small upper portion of the title bar of the active window is cut by the display's upper boundary, and it does not show the other windows that I can snap next to it.

The second time that I press the shortcut, it then properly snaps the active window (no more cutting title bar) and shows the other windows that I can snap next to it.

I do want to add the fact that I use a multi-display setup.

Here are the screenshots that better describes my situation:

• After pressing the keyboard shortcut for the first time:

Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut) [​IMG]

• After pressing the keyboard shortcut for the second time:

Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut) 8e626177-d850-4238-942d-9e4f5705abbd?upload=true.png

Please, any help would be appreciated.

:)

kimih12, Oct 28, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Disable corner snapping keyboard shortcut in Windows 10

Try redefining your shortcut keys using Autohotkey (free). Something similar worked for another user- different function.

I'd suggest considering allocating Win key Up/Down to Autohotkey's WinMaximize, WinMinimize com,ands.

Its help is excellent, good user forum.

Example extracts from the help file provided:

dalchina, Oct 28, 2019
  3. Bladesman Win User
    Shortcut for maximising from snapped window

Hi all,

I've recently updated to W10, and am hoping I'm missing a shortcut for maximising snapped windows.

I'm the sort of person that likes to minimise mouse use. I'm used to snapping windows to the left or right using the shortcut "Start + Left/Right Arrow". I can still use this, and I generally like the Snap Assist functionality that now comes with it.

However, I am currently finding it quite annoying to use keyboard shortcuts to get out of this view (i.e. when you have 1 screen snapped left and 1 screen snapped right). The only shortcut I can find for maximising a screen is "Start + Up Arrow", however this will instead snap it to the top quadrant (on its respective side), and snap assist will ask you what you want to snap to the bottom quadrant. From what I can see, you then have to Esc out of this and then try "Start + Up Arrow" again.

Is there not a keyboard shortcut to maximise directly from a snapped window? It's currently taking 3 keyboard shortcuts, which is sort of a paradox.

It sounds fairly basic, but it's quite annoying when you are regularly snapping windows to left/right, and something I could do easily on W7.

For completeness, steps to reproduce:

1. Have several windows open in W10, (min. 3). Also, have snap assist turned on in settings
    2. "Start + Left Arrow" to snap active screen to left. Snap assist should appear on right
    3. Use Arrow Keys and Enter to select a window to snap to right
    Imagine working on these screens for a bit
    4. Now try to maximise a window, use shortcut "Start + Up Arrow" - doesn't work, screen will snap to top left/right
    5. Press Esc to exit Snap Assist
    6. Again try to maximise window, use shortcut "Start + Up Arrow"

If anyone could help me find a way to end the process at step 4, that would be lovely!

Thanks a lot,

Tom

Bladesman, Oct 28, 2019
  4. Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut)

keyboard shortcuts with the windows key snap assist

I am unable to snap on my windows 10 machine via the keyboard shortcut (windows key + arrow of the diection of snap) because everytime I hit the windows button it opens the start menu. How do I access all the keyboard shortcuts that start with the windows key if it always opens the start menu?

Thanks

dandaskew21, Oct 28, 2019
Thema:

Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut)

1. Snap windows (issue with keyboard shortcut) - Similar Threads - Snap issue keyboard

2. Keyboard Shortcut Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard Shortcut Issue: Hello, I don't know if i'm writing this in the right thread so I apologize ahead of time. I just recently upgraded to a laptop that does not have the numeric number pad, I have always been able to do the "Alt + 3" to do a heart emoji but now I am unable to do it with the...
  3. Keyboard Shortcut Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard Shortcut Issue: Hello, I don't know if i'm writing this in the right thread so I apologize ahead of time. I just recently upgraded to a laptop that does not have the numeric number pad, I have always been able to do the "Alt + 3" to do a heart emoji but now I am unable to do it with the...
  4. Language keyboard shortcuts issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Language keyboard shortcuts issue: [ATTACH] Hi! I'd like to ask you to help me to deal with a minor but quite irritating bug regarding the automatic reset of my custom language keyboard shortcuts. I use three language keyboards on daily basis - Polish, Russian and Japanese, and I find using my custom...
  5. Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snap Assist Issue required to press keyboard shortcut twice: I have the Windows 10, version 1909 with the latest update installed OS Build 18363.752. I have had this issue related to the 'Snap windows' feature for a while: Under Settings > System > Multitasking, I have enabled the 'Snap windows' feature with all the options checked....
  6. Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap

Disabling Mouse drag snap but keeping Keyboard shortcuts snap: I have been trying to find a solution to this but have come up with nothing. I am having trouble with resizing windows with the mouse, where it automatically either maximises or snaps to one side when it is not my intention. I want to disable this, but the two options I...
  7. Windows snapping issue?

Windows snapping issue?: This has been driving me crazy for months and I got a new monitor and have tried finding solutions to this issue but can't find one. Whenever my programs/browsers snap to the corners using the snap features, it snaps on perfectly, but eventually (not sure how) it returns to...
  8. keyboard shortcuts with the windows key snap assist

in Windows 10 Customization
    keyboard shortcuts with the windows key snap assist: I am unable to snap on my windows 10 machine via the keyboard shortcut (windows key + arrow of the diection of snap) because everytime I hit the windows button it opens the start menu. How do I access all the keyboard shortcuts that start with the windows key if it always...
  9. Windows snapping keyboard shortcut hotkeys not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows snapping keyboard shortcut hotkeys not working: Hi, So suddenly today while rearranging windows, snapping stopped working. I'm unable to snap windows using the Win + Left/Right/Up/Down. Moving the windows with the mouse still works, but not with the keyboard hotkeys. As you can imagine this is incredibly inconvenient...
  10. Disable corner snapping keyboard shortcut in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable corner snapping keyboard shortcut in Windows 10: Hi, This is a small thing they added in Windows 10, but it's really annoying me. I like to use Win + Down arrow to minimise windows, but if you've already hit Win + Left or Right, Aero snapping to the side, Win + Down will snap the window to the corner instead of minimising....