Windows 10: Snapping Console Windows Fail On Multiple Monitor Setup

Discus and support Snapping Console Windows Fail On Multiple Monitor Setup in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi All, I have Windows 10 w/ latest build. A recent problem started to occur when I use the Win-Key + Arrow keys to snap a command or powershell... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by 65bit, Jul 26, 2018.

1. 65bit Win User

Snapping Console Windows Fail On Multiple Monitor Setup

Hi All,

I have Windows 10 w/ latest build. A recent problem started to occur when I use the Win-Key + Arrow keys to snap a command or powershell console window to the edge of a monitor. All other windows programs snap fine. I can use the Win-Key + Arrow keys to cycle them through all four edges of the monitors (2 monitors). But for some reason, the command & powershell windows will snap to one edge of the monitor they are on, maybe move to the next if I continue to push the shortcut keys but after about the 3rd or fourth press, they won't move at all anymore or go off screen where I cannot see the windows anymore. I have to right mouse click and select move to get them back into view.

Also, I tried logging on as a different user on this system and it works just fine.

Thank you for the help.

:)

65bit, Jul 26, 2018
  2. 65bit Win User

Hi All,

I have Windows 10 w/ latest build. A recent problem started to occur when I use the Win-Key + Arrow keys to snap a command or powershell console window to the edge of a monitor. All other windows programs snap fine. I can use the Win-Key + Arrow keys
    to cycle them through all four edges of the monitors (2 monitors). But for some reason, the command & powershell windows will snap to one edge of the monitor they are on, maybe move to the next if I continue to push the shortcut keys but after about the 3rd
    or fourth press, they won't move at all anymore or go off screen where I cannot see the windows anymore. I have to right mouse click and select move to get them back into view.

Also, I tried logging on as a different user on this system and it works just fine.

Thank you for the help.

65bit, Oct 9, 2018
  3. 65bit Win User

Found the source of the problem

Here are the variables at play

Dual Monitor Setup

Monitor1 the laptop & Monitor2 is an external monitor

Monitor2 is the primary monitor

Both Monitors are set to 1920 x 1080

Monitor1 is using Scaling at 125%

Monitor2 does not use Scaling so it is at 100%

So when you have font scaling set to anything other than 100% AND you set the taskbar to show ONLY on your primary monitor, then the command and powershell console windows do not snap to the sides of the screen. They will get stuck on one side after a few
    WinKey + arrow rotations or go off all screens altogether.

HOWEVER, when you are using scaling on a monitor AND you set the taskbar to "Show taskbar on all displays", you can rotate the windows to any monitor and snap to any side as usual.

When Scaling is set to 100% for BOTH monitors, you do not get this bug regardless of the
    "Show taskbar on all displays" setting that you choose.

Registry Key for Muiti-Monitor Taskbar:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"MMTaskbarEnabled"=dword:00000000

I confirmed this on a clean build of Windows I had laying around so I know it's not just my system. For now I'm running the taskbar on both monitors but I don't prefer it.

I'm going to file a bug report with MS

65bit, Oct 9, 2018
  4. Snapping Console Windows Fail On Multiple Monitor Setup

PowerShell has always been quirky for me regarding positioning and sizing. And Win+CursorRight has been a great improvement over Alt-Space, M, CursorRight, etc. Have you tried using its Properties Layout tab to see if you can change your symptom that way?
    Alt-Space, P etc.

FWIW what Snap-right did for mine is make a Portrait window in the right half of my wide-screen monitor and then split that in two and keep cycling there that way.

Instead of resorting to the old right-click Move method try using the Win+Shift+CursorRight method to move it from whatever "monitor" it thinks it has found to land on.

Aha. I have just seen the "go off screen and cannot see" symptom with a cmd window. In that case I have not done any customizing of its Layout. Win+Shift+Cursor is not moving it. I can see its thumbnail in Tab View and use right-click Snap there also
    to no visible effect. Oh. I think there is a ghost. Win+Tab showed me two cmd windows one in each monitor's Tab View but there was only one. Then when I used Win+Shift+CursorRight I was able to move it to where it thought it was.

Windows 10. Still an Adventure ("Twisty passages, all different.")

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Oct 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Snapping Console Windows Fail On Multiple Monitor Setup - Similar Threads - Snapping Console Fail

2. Multiple Monitor Setup Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Monitor Setup Issue: Trying to set up a ROKU TV to be a second display-only monitor on Windows 11. My primary monitor is connected to HDMI-1. Connected the ROKU TV to HDMI-2 on the PC. When setting this up, I accidentally chose "Display on 2 only" option. Now, my primary monitor works fine until...
  3. Is there a way to snap a window across multiple monitors?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to snap a window across multiple monitors?: Adobe Premiere Pro takes up a lot of screen space so I typically run it on both monitors 24" x2. Is there a way to lock it across both? Currently it's floating in order to stretch across. I have marked the approximate location of the split point between monitors with a green...
  4. Is there a way to snap a window across multiple monitors?

Is there a way to snap a window across multiple monitors?: Adobe Premiere Pro takes up a lot of screen space so I typically run it on both monitors 24" x2. Is there a way to lock it across both? Currently it's floating in order to stretch across. I have marked the approximate location of the split point between monitors with a green...
  5. "Snap to" with multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Snap to" with multiple monitors: Hi I am loving Windows 11 great job. I am a graphic designer and use a multiple monitor setup. How "snap to" works is great, but I use a laptop and an external monitor to extend the screen, it would be nice if I try to snap an open window there are no options to snap it to my...
  6. "Snap to" with multiple monitors

"Snap to" with multiple monitors: Hi I am loving Windows 11 great job. I am a graphic designer and use a multiple monitor setup. How "snap to" works is great, but I use a laptop and an external monitor to extend the screen, it would be nice if I try to snap an open window there are no options to snap it to my...
  7. Multiple Monitor setup not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple Monitor setup not working: Hi, I have a frustrating problem with windows and a new laptop running multiple monitors. I have 2 monitors that I would like to run, both are WQHD standard and happy to run at 2560x1440 resolution - a Samsung LC32JG50 and a Iiyama E2783QSU The new laptop is for work, and...
  8. Snap to window is buggy for multiple monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snap to window is buggy for multiple monitors: I have 5 monitors arranged thus: 1 2 345 If that doesn't come out right it's 3 along and 2 up, with the top middle one missing there's a stereo there. Snapping to windows works perfectly apart from one application which I want to run across the right two monitors 2...
  9. Aero snapping betwen multiple monitors

Aero snapping betwen multiple monitors: I have read multiple threads about this issue and it looks like Microsoft could not care less about Windows 10 users. These said threads are as old as 2015 and the issue is still not fixed. Long story short, I am using Windows Areo Snapping feature but when I want to move...
  10. Windows snapping between multiple monitors.

Windows snapping between multiple monitors.: I have read multiple threads about this issue and it looks like Microsoft could not care less about Windows 10 users. These said threads are as old as 2015 and the issue is still not fixed. Long story short, I am using Windows Areo Snapping feature but when I want to move...