Windows 10: Snip off WiFi antenna?

Discus and support Snip off WiFi antenna? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So have been repairing a few old laptops and one I stupidly put a screw through the antenna to the WiFi card when putting it back together. Replacing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hazel123, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Hazel123 Win User

Snip off WiFi antenna?

So have been repairing a few old laptops and one I stupidly put a screw through the antenna to the WiFi card when putting it back together. Replacing the antennae is too much trouble (having taken the screen off to look). So am going to get a usb WiFi dongle instead. But not happy at leaving a damaged antennae wire inside - could it short? So am wondering if it’s ok to just snip it off at the screen end where it shouldn’t be getting any power? The black cable for
    Bluetooth (?) is fine so planned to leave the WiFi card in the laptop but with the white cable removed I’d then have a bare/unused connector. Would that’s be safe? Or should I just take the card out and snip both wires? Removing the wires is too complicated without risking other issues as intertwined behind the screen with cmos etc

:)

Hazel123, Nov 17, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

wifi antennas?

Not being rude or anything by posting links; however, antennas are more than a wire in a piece of covering.
    You got propagation, transmit/receive gain, standing waves, etc. to consider in the proper implementation. It is, actually, more important on low power output/receive circuits/chipsets.

Here are a few informative sites for info on antennas:

Understanding Antenna Specifications and Operation

Introduction to Wi-Fi Wireless Antennas

The Fundamentals of Wi-Fi Antennas

Understanding 802.11 Antennas

If you do a search for Understanding wifi antenna design you will see lots of info on the subject.

95Viper, Nov 17, 2018
  3. AsRock Win User
    wifi antennas?

Maybe even make his own, just need to do the research on it and there is plenty of information on this. I was looking in to directional ones were you have to get the plates the right size and all.

I tend to stick a heat sink to all i have as they all get hot and what harm will it do anyways.

And why no picture of this in the Ghetto thread, shame on you!, and shame on me if i missed or forgot about it ha.

AsRock, Nov 17, 2018
  4. Snip off WiFi antenna?

powerful wifi antenna

has anyone used a powerful wifi antenna to increase the signal strength of their wifi? i am not talkoing about using a WAP to bridge my wifi signal, but an actually high powered antenna to boost the signal in all directions. and i am not looking into flashing my router with firmware to increase the power of my existing router. i am specifically looking for high powered antennas. any experiences i should know about? any models i should look into?

Easy Rhino, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

Snip off WiFi antenna?

1. Snip off WiFi antenna? - Similar Threads - Snip off WiFi

2. Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna: I built a PC yesterday and all was going well until I was trying to set up Windows and it wasn’t recognizing any of the WiFi hardware. As a result I can’t connect to WiFi.I have two different ASUS WiFi antenna that I’ve tried to use with my PC and neither has shown up on...
  3. Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows not recognizing WiFi antenna: I built a PC yesterday and all was going well until I was trying to set up Windows and it wasn’t recognizing any of the WiFi hardware. As a result I can’t connect to WiFi.I have two different ASUS WiFi antenna that I’ve tried to use with my PC and neither has shown up on...
  4. Wifi Adapter Antenna Questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi Adapter Antenna Questions: Hello All Switching to Ethernet possibly on Saturday for my Main Desktop, Some reason my Wifi 6 adapter can't hold 1.2gbps with Comcast XB7 Gateway anymore, so wondering something should i disconnect antennas, and just keep the card in for Bluetooth 5.0 function til i maybe...
  5. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors: So I am attempting to upgrade the PCI-e Wifi card that ships with an old laptop to an Intel AX200 NGFF card , so I bought an NGFF to PCI-e adapter only to realize something I haven't considered . Seems the antennas' connectors from back in PCI-e era were twice the size of the...
  6. Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacing laptop's wifi antennas' connectors: So I am attempting to upgrade the PCI-e Wifi card that ships with an old laptop to an Intel AX200 NGFF card , so I bought an NGFF to PCI-e adapter only to realize something I haven't considered . Seems the antennas' connectors from back in PCI-e era were twice the size of the...
  7. HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna

HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna: HELP! Best replacement for USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna Wireless LAN Internet Adapter 802.11 n/g/b Network. I'm using Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 9020 MT Optiplex Desktop PC with no built in WiFi. I've been using a USB 300Mbps Wifi Antenna Wireless LAN Internet Adapter 802.11...
  8. Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna?

Do USB WiFi adapters supplement or replace existing WiFi antenna?: When using a laptop the internal antenna can only receive the WiFi signal that exists in that air space where it is located so it seems to me that plugging in a USB WiFi adapter into the laptop cannot increase the WiFi performance and yet that is the reason they are sold. Is...
  9. Buying a new Wifi Antenna

Buying a new Wifi Antenna: Hey! I have a ASUS Z170I PRO GAMING motherboard with two Wifi antenna fittings in the back. And the antenna that came with the board has two fittings as well. Id like to buy a better antenna but all I can find is the single connection antennas on the web. Now, can I use just...
  10. Wifi Antenna Question

Wifi Antenna Question: I have purchased a new ac router and a new ac pci-e network card (Asus). My setup before this purchase was this, pci-e 802.11n with two antenna connectors. Each connector has a 30 ft Wifi extension cable leading to two simple yagi antennas mounted outside. This has been...