Windows 10: Snip & Sketch "Failed to open file"

Discus and support Snip & Sketch "Failed to open file" in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, for the past month or so I've been having a lot of issues with Snip & Sketch which I normally use fairly extensively. Everytime I make a Snip,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Jonyb222, Apr 15, 2021.

1. Jonyb222 Win User

Snip & Sketch "Failed to open file"

Hello, for the past month or so I've been having a lot of issues with Snip & Sketch which I normally use fairly extensively.

Everytime I make a Snip, either by Print Screen, Win+Shift+S, or Clicking new in Snip&Sketch the image is correctly added to the Clipboard.

However, when I get to the Sketch portion, as in opening the image in Snip&Sketch proper, I get a pop-up saying "Failed to open file".

Here is what I have done so far by Googling the problem:

1. Rebooted, multiple times, after each of the following steps as well
    2. Ensure Data Sharing Service is running, terminate it, restart it.
    3. Uninstalled Snip&Sketch, reinstalled via MS Store
    4. Apps > Snip & Sketch > Advanced Options >Terminate > Reset
    5. None of these have made any difference whatsoever

As an aside, the snipping tool works correctly, but it dopes not seem that I can tie it to the Print Screen button, and it will also be deprecated soon.

Snip & Sketch "Failed to open file" 647baff4-aa0f-4674-b1e9-1fc6de7695a3?upload=true.png

:)

Jonyb222, Apr 15, 2021

2. Snip & Sketch window fails to stay open

OK, can you reboot and then re-try the Snip & Sketch.

If the problem persists, do the following:

Press Windows Key + I key to open Settings, and click on Apps.

You should already be on Apps & features. Find Sketch & Snip app from the available list of apps.

Click on Snip & Sketch > Uninstall.

Then click on Start and type store and click on Microsoft Store in the results.

In the Microsoft store, type Snip into the search box and hit Enter and Snip & Sketch will be in the results. Click on it and then click on Get. Let it install and then try using it again.

Let me know if this works.

Smug Puppy, Apr 15, 2021
  3. SOZD Win User
    Snip & Sketch

I took a screenshot of the entire screen, and then hit Snip & Sketch's notification. It shows "Failed to open the file".

4. JimWynne Win User

Snip & Sketch

It's the Snipping Tool that's being phased out, not Snip & Sketch. FWIW, I just used the latter tool and was able to paste the snip into a Word (Office 365) document. There was a point in the past when for reasons unknown, opening Word would clear the
    clipboard. If you're using an older version, you might want to try opening the document first, before taking a screenshot.

If you prefer to use Snipping Tool, all you have to do (as I suggested earlier) is open the Start Menu and type snip.

JimWynne, Apr 15, 2021
Thema:

1. Snip & Sketch "Failed to open file" - Similar Threads - Snip Sketch Failed

2. Snip & Sketch Snip

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Snip & Sketch Snip: I think 'Snip & Sketch Snip' is downloaded onto my PC. But I can't seem to install it! How is it done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snip-sketch-snip/ef691066-5c12-4db8-91ea-e35012381f12
  3. Snip & Sketch Snip

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snip & Sketch Snip: I think 'Snip & Sketch Snip' is downloaded onto my PC. But I can't seem to install it! How is it done? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snip-sketch-snip/ef691066-5c12-4db8-91ea-e35012381f12
  4. Snip & Sketch Snip

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Snip and Sketch Failed to open file

Snip and Sketch Failed to open file: This error started to occur a few weeks ago. In fact about the same time as Your Phone went tits up. I have tried all listed cures, reset the app, uninstalled and reinstalled, all to no avail. Luckily Snipping Tool still works. Is this type of thing going to become as habit...
  6. snip and sketch won't open

snip and sketch won't open: When I try to open my snip and sketch app, it won't open. This is the error code it gives me: "Something happened on our end. Here’s the error code, in case you need it: 0x87E10BC6" Does anyone knows how I can get it fixed?...
  7. Snip & Sketch not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snip & Sketch not opening: When I'm trying to open snip & sketch it is showing an error that 'you will need an app to open ms-screenclip link'. Please someone help for solving this problem BTW I Have Windows 2004 installed....
  8. Snip & Sketch No Longer Opens

Snip & Sketch No Longer Opens: Hi. Long-time reader, first time poster. Snip & Sketch was working nominally up until sometime recently. That is to say it went something like this: • I'd press *Start+Shift+S and the screenshot overlay would appear • I'd capture what I needed (and curse aloud at the...
  9. Snip & Sketch window fails to stay open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snip & Sketch window fails to stay open: I have recently installed fresh new installs of Windows 10 on a laptop and a PC. After installing I checked to see if Snip & Sketch would work on the PC. It does. As for the laptop, I opened it the 1st time and it stayed open, but I did not use it, so I closed it down. Then...
  10. Snip and sketch won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Snip and sketch won't open: I click on snip and sketch and it flashes on screen then closes. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/snip-and-sketch-wont-open/f9850093-210c-463b-a91d-5f8960444b12