Windows 10: Snipping Tool - Saving jpg, png files as Word docs with no pic

Discus and support Snipping Tool - Saving jpg, png files as Word docs with no pic in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I am barely computer literate, so please bare with me. I have been using the Snipping tool for over a year now. I use it a lot for my job.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by amyla, Feb 4, 2018.

1. amyla Win User

Snipping Tool - Saving jpg, png files as Word docs with no pic

Hi all,
    I am barely computer literate, so please bare with me. I have been using the Snipping tool for over a year now. I use it a lot for my job. Anyway, recently, whenever I hit "save as" and select jpeg, png it saves it as an unreadable word document. Sometimes, if I keep switching between jpeg and png, it will eventually save in those formats. Sometimes, it will not. Any ideas on why this is happening?

Snipping Tool - Saving jpg, png files as Word docs with no pic [​IMG]

:)

amyla, Feb 4, 2018
  2. Debbiehyg Win User

Snipping tool - change default back to save as jpg.

On a new computer with Windows 10, the snipping tool's default is to save as a png file. I save all my snips as jpg files. It is a pain to have to change each one I save. Is there a way to change the default to save as jpg. I have looked to try to
    change the default settings, but snipping tool is not on that list.

Debbiehyg, Feb 4, 2018
  3. How do I convert either a word doc or a pdf file into a jpg while using windows 10.

Hi Penny,

I've had great luck using a tool called "snipping tool" - It allows you to take a screenshot and save it as a png or jpg.

Open the doc/pdf you want to make into a jpg, and then click on the start button. Type "snipping tool" and open it. Click "new" and you'll see your screen change shades a bit. You can then click and drag the area you'd like to "snip" - You can then click the
    save disk at the top, and save it as a jpg.

Here is a link on this tool as well -
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/...

Let me know if this solution will work for you. If not we can look at different methods.

- C

Charlie Klausen, Feb 4, 2018
  4. Snipping Tool - Saving jpg, png files as Word docs with no pic

Hi amyla. Welcome to the TenForums @amyla

It does look like it saved it as a Word file

although the "W" is pretty small.

I would click settings, then Apps, then default Apps, scroll down on the right and the default apps by file type and ensure JPG and PNG are set to "Photos" or the app of your choosing for picture.

If indeed it is set as photo then as Denis says you can't open in Word can you can insert.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 5, 2018
  5. Helmut Win User
    1) Change your File Explorer display to show the extension letters. View Tab > Tick box for "File name extensions".
    That will show you the full file name, and what sort of file you are dealing with.

There is nothing wrong with what you are showing, it's how Word looks at a PNG file.

2) What has happened is the PNG File extension has defaulted to Word. So you have to change this back again.
    Settings > Apps > Default Apps > Scroll down to the link "Choose default application by file type"
    Scroll down again to .PNG click on the Word icon and you should get a list of suitable Applications.
    You should have Photos in there maybe other imaging applications select it and then the .PNG files will default to opening in Photos or whatever you choose.

Helmut, Feb 5, 2018
  6. amyla Win User
    Thanks gentleman. I believe that I have done as instructed. Note that both Jpeg and png were set to photos and not word, but I went in and re-selected photos. It worked on my first test run. I should note that this started happening after the most recent update.
    I will be using it quite a bit tomorrow - so we'll see how it goes.
    Many Thanks!

amyla, Feb 8, 2018
  7. Great news. Good luck.

Caledon Ken, Feb 8, 2018
  8. amyla Win User

Ok Gentleman. Thank you again for your help. I fear that the mini- word doc has returned. Perhaps I am following your instructions incorrectly. This is what I see when I go into app settings:
    Attachment 177388

This is what the file looks like. The one above it was saved in the exact same way only 3 minutes before and it saved as a jpeg.
    Attachment 177389

amyla, Feb 15, 2018
  9. Helmut Win User
    All is OK, no worries.

Your file does not have a .JPG extension, just add it to the filename.
    Right click file > Rename with .JPG at the end.

This seems to apply to some others in your list.

Helmut, Feb 15, 2018
  10. amyla Win User
    Any idea while it would decide to do that to me sometimes?

amyla, Feb 15, 2018
  11. Here is my bet.

Maybe you discovered a flaw and if file names end in .00 or .30 it does not process correctly.

Three of the files end in .00, oe in .30

when you type file name to be saved, as a work around maybe add .jpg or have letters like oneway or twoway

You could do some tests. save a snip ending in .00 and see if it adds the jpg extension. Then try again but make the last two digits aa and see if it adds jpg. If you have found a new hole you can report through feedback hub.

Caledon Ken, Feb 16, 2018
  12. Helmut Win User
    Probably just user error. I do it myself occasionally.

As you know, the Snipping Tool puts in Capture.JPG or Capture.PNG as a default name highlighted in Blue you press backspace, it deletes the lot, put in you own filename forgetting to do the .JPG or .PNG at the end and save it.
    Very easily done.

Other applications may just highlight the initial bit of the filename before the dot 3 letter extension but even then you can make a mistake.

That is why showing the File name extensions in File Explorer is so useful, you can see and correct mistakes.

Helmut, Feb 16, 2018
  13. amyla Win User

Random question, Can I delete my post # 6 above? It has information that I would not like published on internet. Also, Can one edit a post once posted?
    Many Thanks.

amyla, Feb 16, 2018
  14. Edwin New Member
    Yes, first go to your tenforums Control Panel/Attachments and remove the desired attachments, then you may delete the post with a reason.

You can edit posts at the bottom right.

Edwin, Feb 16, 2018
  15. amyla Win User
    I do not have the edit post option at the bottom right of my posts but I will try the settings option. Many Thanks.

amyla, Feb 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Snipping Tool - Saving jpg, png files as Word docs with no pic - Similar Threads - Snipping Tool Saving

2. the snip tool used to default to save as .jpg. It recently began defaulting to save as...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the snip tool used to default to save as .jpg. It recently began defaulting to save as...: The setting in the snip program don't offer change to the default save as file type.Please Help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-snip-tool-used-to-default-to-save-as-jpg-it/0f5b17f1-6459-4be1-a927-e5ef1253e9ac
  3. Snipping tool change to saved PNG files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Snipping tool change to saved PNG files: I have noticed a recent change when using the snipping tool and saving the PNG files. Upon opening any of these, all of my other PNG saved images now appear at the bottom. Deleting them will also delete the separate PNG file. Is there a setting to not show these? Thanks in...
  4. Snipping tool change to saved PNG files

Snipping tool change to saved PNG files: I have noticed a recent change when using the snipping tool and saving the PNG files. Upon opening any of these, all of my other PNG saved images now appear at the bottom. Deleting them will also delete the separate PNG file. Is there a setting to not show these? Thanks in...
  5. After today's windows update:- now snipping tool saves png instead of jpg

After today's windows update:- now snipping tool saves png instead of jpg: After today's windows update:- now snipping tool saves png instead of jpg**** ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-todays-windows-update-now-snipping-tool/a6e97658-f998-4d8c-896e-67a5e2db3dd3
  6. After today's windows update:- now snipping tool saves png instead of jpg

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After today's windows update:- now snipping tool saves png instead of jpg: After today's windows update:- now snipping tool saves png instead of jpg**** ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-todays-windows-update-now-snipping-tool/a6e97658-f998-4d8c-896e-67a5e2db3dd3
  7. How to save snipping tool in pdf or jpg format?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to save snipping tool in pdf or jpg format?: How to save snipping tool in pdf or jpg format? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-save-snipping-tool-in-pdf-or-jpg-format/a21dce93-7413-4aeb-9ab1-15405838e317
  8. Snip and Sketch - Save as a JPG

Snip and Sketch - Save as a JPG: I commonly use the command Windows+Shift+S which uses Snip and Sketch and put the snippet on my clipboard. I am wondering if there is any quick setting or way to automatically save my snip and sketchestaken using Windows+Shift+S as a file on my computer, not just on my...
  9. snipping tool not saving as a recognizable pic format. Saving as 28295_0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    snipping tool not saving as a recognizable pic format. Saving as 28295_0: Two days ago everything worked fine. But yesterday Whenever I snip a pic and try to drag it to Canva it's giving me this upload error: We could not upload some of your files because they aren't a format Canva understands. Please chooses only .jpg .png or .svg files ot...
  10. Saving files to default Pic, Vid and Docs Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Saving files to default Pic, Vid and Docs Problem: Hi Guys I seem to have a problem trying to save file to my default Docs, vid and Pics folder on my C drive. I have attached a pic of what it says. I have changed the permissions to let me do this or am I looking in the wrong place? If I save the files to the desktop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. snipping tool saving a png

2. saving a snip file as a jpeg