Windows 10: So I tried to boot from USB

Discus and support So I tried to boot from USB in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I saw a tutorial to boot from USB, and installed the code on the USB. The issue is with the next step. I changed the UEFI settings and turned off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by MattF, Dec 20, 2016.

1. MattF Win User

So I tried to boot from USB

I saw a tutorial to boot from USB, and installed the code on the USB. The issue is with the next step. I changed the UEFI settings and turned off secure boot, turned on boot from legacy ROM, and then turned on legacy boot mode. I got into a Linux console saying that I was missing grub.exe, so I looked up how to fix it. It suggested going back into windows. So I took out the USB stick and rebooted. It booted to a screen that says this:
    Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 083)
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

This Product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
    US6, 570, 884, US6, 115, 776, and US6, 327, 625

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Series v1.35 (06/04/14)

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 34 E6 D7 7C 99 FA GUID: 44454C4C-3800-1044-8036-B6C04F533332
    PXE-E53: No boot file name recieved

PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
    No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine_

:)

MattF, Dec 20, 2016
  2. AnnMD Win User

Upgrade from Vista to Windows10, I get an error, that I need to boot from and setup from the usb.

Original Title - Upgrade from Vista to Windows10

I'm trying to upgrade from Vista to Windows10. When I insert the Windows10 usb and boot from the usb, I get only so far with the setup and it tells me to remove the usb, restart, boot normally, insert the usb and continue the setup. When I do this, I get
    an error, that I need to boot from and setup from the usb. I tried this a couple times, but I'm stuck in an infinite loop of the same errors. Does anyone know to get past this?

AnnMD, Dec 20, 2016
  3. Norvile Win User
    Windows 10 Install Error 0xC1900101 - 0x40017

What helped for me was to remove the Logitech USB dongle and disable my antivirus. However, I don't think my antivirus caused the problem. My suspicion was that windows tried to boot from USB and obviously it can't boot through a USB wireless keyboard dongle.
    So for everyone that have the same problem. Make sure you have the boot priority in order so it doesn't try to boot from USB and just to be safe, remove all the USB devices on your computer while installing and then plug them back in once in the welcome screen.

This worked perfectly for me!

Norvile, Dec 20, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Your hard drive with Windows on it is set up for UEFI booting. You are now trying to boot it in Legacy mode. Switch back to UEFI mode to boot from the hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Dec 20, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    As stated, just reverse what you did in the Bios to boot normally.
    What "Code" did you install to a USB? is it from an ISO Image to install an OS, like Linux? Did you burn the USB Flash correctly? Have you tried booting the USB from another computer?
    Though some people on here don't like it, you can create a UEFI Bootable USB Flash drive with Rufus, in my signature, if you have an ISO image of a installer you want to use, so you won't have to make changes to the Bios.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. So I tried to boot from USB - Similar Threads - tried boot USB

2. Booting problem when trying to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting problem when trying to boot from USB: Hello!My friend and i have been trying for a couple of days to upgrade this old pc with Windows XP Professional edition, to Windows 10.When we boot from the USB, a black screen with a cursor appears. A couple of minutes 5-15 anywhere in between go by, and the pc restarts...
  3. Booting problem when trying to boot from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Booting problem when trying to boot from USB: Hello!My friend and i have been trying for a couple of days to upgrade this old pc with Windows XP Professional edition, to Windows 10.When we boot from the USB, a black screen with a cursor appears. A couple of minutes 5-15 anywhere in between go by, and the pc restarts...
  4. I tried DD the windows emmc chip content from a netbook to a usb drive so I can boot from a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I tried DD the windows emmc chip content from a netbook to a usb drive so I can boot from a...: I read many guides from answers.microsoft site and I'm learning a great deal but I'm stuck at the point where other people find results... when I type bcdedit to check device and paths I get the error "the boot configuration data store could not be opened" and then following...
  5. I tried DD the windows emmc chip content from a netbook to a usb drive so I can boot from a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I tried DD the windows emmc chip content from a netbook to a usb drive so I can boot from a...: I read many guides from answers.microsoft site and I'm learning a great deal but I'm stuck at the point where other people find results... when I type bcdedit to check device and paths I get the error "the boot configuration data store could not be opened" and then following...
  6. I tried DD the windows emmc chip content from a netbook to a usb drive so I can boot from a...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Infinite boot loop when trying to boot from usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Infinite boot loop when trying to boot from usb: So i have a Lenovo whatever laptop and i want to do a clean os install. I entered the BIOS and made this **** piece of **** to boot from usb, but once the windows logo appears it reboots itself. I've tried both Legacy and UEFI boot options also i was trying to disable secure...
  8. I'm trying to boot Windows10 from a USB and after restarting and choosing USB as boot...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I'm trying to boot Windows10 from a USB and after restarting and choosing USB as boot...: I tried to reburn the iso on the flash drive btw submitted by /u/Meligy16 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ijpvjw/im_trying_to_boot_windows10_from_a_usb_and_after/
  9. Keeps trying to boot from USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keeps trying to boot from USB: Am trying to use the Windows Backup app to backup my files. I have my files backed up to an external SSD through a USB. When I boot my computer, it keeps trying to boot from the USB drive, saying something along the lines of "Starting Windows Recovery" or something like...
  10. Boot loop while trying to boot from USB.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot loop while trying to boot from USB.: Hi, so I picked up a Dell Dimension 5150 from a friend because he didn’t use it anymore and I found that it had no OS installed. So I tried using a USB to boot Windows 10 onto it and its stuck in a booting loop and won’t go any further. Any tips or things i’m doing wrong?...