Windows 10: So is C: root unavailable per default?

Discus and support So is C: root unavailable per default? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I just came across an error regarding use rights in the root of C:, I can not place files there. I can create a folder and place files inside the... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Coram Daes, Jan 16, 2016.

1. So is C: root unavailable per default?

I just came across an error regarding use rights in the root of C:, I can not place files there. I can create a folder and place files inside the folder, but not in root.

Is this to be expected?

I got error 0x80070522 when trying and found this older thread about it: Unable to change Admin Settings - Windows 10 Forums

The post is answered by referring to the tutorial of Take Ownership, but I do not think that is relevant to this case.

:)

Coram Daes, Jan 16, 2016

2. RAID recovery

I moved C: drive to RAID along with root partition for linux DURING the installation procedure . Then it asked me to create a root again as root partition was unavailable as i moved both of them to RAID. Then i installed linux. Right now i have 260 GB

free space 250GB RAID 300 GB NTFS (ESo is C: root unavailable per default? :) And some other drives of linux. I dont have any important data on linux , so i can wipe it. (But how will i recover my C: Without an OS, I dont know about RAID at all, i was experimenting, how will i move C: to where it
    was before?) I HAVE a windows 10 bootable USB with me as of now and i can access command prompt,

please help me out!

Random student, Jan 16, 2016
  3. Installed Update KB3193494 for 10 and now my system profile gone

Per msg not available

c:\windows\system32\config\system profile\desktop unavailable

Was able to get there and sure enough location empty.

Should I just uninstall the Upgrade.

Problem is that there was no backup recovery created

Screwed and irritated.

This happened today. It is today's upgrade

Anyone else have this problem

Thanks

Peterde Liefde, Jan 16, 2016
  4. So is C: root unavailable per default?

Can anyone verify this?

Coram Daes, Jan 21, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    That is completely normal. The GUI will let you make a folder but not a file. Any program you run as a normal user (even if that user is part of the administrators group) will not let you save there.

However if you open an administrator command prompt and type Code: echo "whatever" > C:\test.txt[/quote] you will find it has created a file test.txt at root of C containing the word "whatever".

Similarly if you open notepad or many other programs as Administrator (right click on the program, run as administrator) it will let you save in root of C.

What are you trying to do exactly? You can run a program as administrator to do it but otherwise I can't give a sensible suggestion unless you say what the objective is. There are also other issues with running things as administrator so don't take that as a default answer.

Definitely don't take ownership of the whole of the C drive whatever you do though. That would cause no-end of problems.

6. swarfega Win User
    What files where you trying to place there?

swarfega, Jan 21, 2016
  7. It is my own desktop and on my 7 machine I had a couple of cmd scripts there that ran a robocopy every system start... Just putting them back to the same location according to my own system setup documentation.
    It is not a corp comp.

Thanks for the clarification.

Coram Daes, Jan 21, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

So is C: root unavailable per default?

I'd recommend you run any robocopy job as admin anyway (whether you want to copy to root of C is up to you).

Just tick the "Run with highest privileges" box on task scheduler (assuming you are starting it it like that).

9. No, not starting like that. Shortcut to Programs/Startup folder..

Running CMD batch's via Task Scheduler has in my experience not always worked very well, often error with exit messages, perhaps it works better in 10, but have not tried it.

Coram Daes, Jan 21, 2016
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    Best practice with hard drives has always been to put files within folders and not directly in the root of the drive. The only files that should be in the root of the drive are system files that must be there. You need a compelling reason to depart from this principle and I don't see it.

LMiller7, Jan 21, 2016
  11. Compelling reason? On my own local desktop?

Just because I want it that way, I consider it tidy, in my opinion. I do not apply "best practice" on my own desktop.

Coram Daes, Jan 21, 2016
  12. lx07 Win User
    I can't say as I've always used task scheduler since 7.

In any case without changing permissions you'll need to get the thing to run as Admin. I don't think you can do that easily any more using Startup folder (but you could try this).

You could take ownership of the whole C drive but it would most likely cause problems. This isn't a moral objection (you can do what you want) only that some permissions are inherited and some explicit and if you change the root to have explicit permissions you'll overwrite what was there before (as explicit permissions always override inherited) and you'll end up with your permissions being wrong and no way to reset them as MS doesn't say what they should be in the first place anyway.

You could do it but it might cause you issues later on to the extent you have to re-install.

13. So is C: root unavailable per default?

I added my permissions, I did not overwrite them. And it is already done, prior to the OP.

Coram Daes, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

So is C: root unavailable per default?

1. So is C: root unavailable per default? - Similar Threads - root unavailable per

2. Create files on C: root

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create files on C: root: Hi all, I need non-admin users to create files in c: root due to a poor written Epson x32 app.Hence I've added these 2 special permissions in c:\:. users: create files in this folder only. auth users: create folders in this folder only. creator owner: full control in files...
  3. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  4. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    shortcuts in the root of C: drive: Hi,i noticed that i have two shortcuts showing upp in the root of C: drive on all the computers that we have 1500. a shortcut for Program and one for documents and settings. they show up after the re-image is finalized. we use SCCM latest branch any ideas where these two...
  5. shortcuts in the root of C: drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Strange file in C:\ root?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange file in C:\ root?: Sorry for the asinine question but does anyone have any idea what this file is that's just appeared in the root of my C:\ drive? https://ibb.co/TMgVDzF submitted by /u/D3SOL4TE [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k39uqr/strange_file_in_c_root/
  7. Default gateway unavailable

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default gateway unavailable: Been having problems with connecting to the internet a few days ago. My pc will connect to the internet just fine, but will randomly disconnect and tell me "The default gateway is not available", or the access point between my router and the internet is broken. The internet...
  8. Writing to the root ... C:\

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Writing to the root ... C:\: Every time I turn around, I'm not able to save files to the root of C drive. Can someone tell me how to fix this problem once and for all time? I don't care that some people feel as though I shouldn't be writing there. I have times when I need to edit files there or I just...
  9. Can't save to c: root

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't save to c: root: Get error message when I try to save a document or picture on c:\ 'A required privilege is not held by client.' Is there a way to fix this? Thank you. 14643
  10. $xxx Folders in Root of C:

in Windows 10 Support
    $xxx Folders in Root of C:: I was under the impression that these folders would go away or can be deleted, BUT !! Has been some time from 1511 build was installed. C:\ $Windows -W " - BT C:\ $sysreset Still have .log and .xml from 12/26/2015 in them ( not the date of the last Windows Update) I...