Windows 10: So I've just got a new SSD and a new HDD and I installed Windows on the SSD. As you can...

Discus and support So I've just got a new SSD and a new HDD and I installed Windows on the SSD. As you can... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/TheLushan [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/TheLushan, May 8, 2020.

1. So I've just got a new SSD and a new HDD and I installed Windows on the SSD. As you can...

/u/TheLushan, May 8, 2020

2. Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from Download Windows 10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, May 8, 2020
  3. Fresh Install of Windows 10 Home in new SSD

I have this Dell N4010 Laptop that I want to upgrade with an SSD and use the existing HDD as Data drive. I have an original windows of digital license.

Please suggest how I can install a fresh copy of the windows in my new SSD with the existing license. And please suggest how to activate the new installation of Windows.

Fahim.Anwar, May 8, 2020
  4. So I've just got a new SSD and a new HDD and I installed Windows on the SSD. As you can...

Windows 10 installation on new HDD/SSD

Hi,

I currently own a Windows 7 licence and reserved a free copy of Windows 10. That being said, I recently purchased a new SSD on which I would like to install Windows 10 and then format my HDD currently "hosting" Windows 7 therefore the boot up speed will
    be increased along with other benefices.

What I want to know is if I will be given an .iso file of which I can mount and install directly on my SSD or will I need to install it on my HDD with Windows 7 and then move it to my SSD ? This bothers me because I want a clean fresh start for my OS and
    therefore would like to install it on it right away instead of transferring the files from on HDD to the SSD.

Thanks,

Marc-Olivier

Marc-OlivierTrottier, May 8, 2020
Thema:

So I've just got a new SSD and a new HDD and I installed Windows on the SSD. As you can...

1. So I've just got a new SSD and a new HDD and I installed Windows on the SSD. As you can... - Similar Threads - I've got SSD

2. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted: HP Compaq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-os-on-new-ssd-after-old-hdd-got/e65c28bd-dc05-4cfa-aced-1579cbe32039
  3. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted: HP Compaq https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-os-on-new-ssd-after-old-hdd-got/e65c28bd-dc05-4cfa-aced-1579cbe32039
  4. Installing OS on new SSD after old HDD got corrupted

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  6. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  7. I installed Windows on a brand new SSD and got a BSOD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I installed Windows on a brand new SSD and got a BSOD: I just installed Windows 10 on a brand new SSD, it all seemed to be going well until the windows initial setup crashed. As I tried to reboot I got a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION blue screen, the exact same issue what I had when booting off my old hard drive. Then the black windows...
  8. unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...

unplugged my SSD and HDD, installed windows onto a new SSD, unplugged new SSD and plugged...: submitted by /u/aaronjusmith [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jmrku0/unplugged_my_ssd_and_hdd_installed_windows_onto_a/
  9. new install on new ssd,

new install on new ssd,: is there a way to delete just the windows files on my old ssd or am i going to have to format my old ssd to get rid of the old installation? submitted by /u/traveler9001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hxhkz5/new_install_on_new_ssd/
  10. hdd to ssd on new computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hdd to ssd on new computer: Hi yes im going to buy 2 1tb samsung evo 850 to replace my 1tb hdd know my pc comes with 240gb ssd already what i want to do is unplug both and swap them out for the 1 tb evo 850 and then just completely install windows on one of them and have one on back up is this method...