Windows 10: So Many Desktops

Discus and support So Many Desktops in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This pc is just a shortcut to the main uers folder and not another desktop. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by swarfega, Apr 5, 2018.

1. swarfega Win User

So Many Desktops

This pc is just a shortcut to the main uers folder and not another desktop.

swarfega, Apr 5, 2018

2. I am looking at my monitor and seeing a desktop. What I don't understand are the relationships between the "top most level" desktop, vs <This PC> desktop and <users><me>desktop. Can someone please provide an explanation or point me to some doc that explains this?

I do notice that anything in <users><me>desktop does not show anywhere.

Any help appreciated.

Jerry

:)

Jerrythesurfer, Apr 18, 2018
  3. So many bugs

If this was an upgrade it could be worthwhile to do a fresh install of Windows 10.

If it came with Windows 10 have you tried a reset?

With either option, be sure to backup docs first.

IJustHelping, Apr 18, 2018
  4. So Many Desktops

So many errors...

So I've been looking for answers to my problem(s) through questions other people have asked and still haven't found anything that really resolves the problem(s).

I bought a new motherboard (along with many other things for my computer) which made my copy of windows not genuine (windows 7). So when windows 10 came out (officially) I bought it and upgraded to it with little error at first. But that same day then it bluescreened
    with an error I failed to see at the time cause I was away from my computer. I shrugged it off for a while and it blue screened again with the error PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, but then after that it was fine again for quite a while. Every once in a while
    it would blue screen though and I would look for answers to why and not find anything that really related to what I was doing or solutions that fixed the problem. Then I saw that someone removed on of their memory cards and reinstalled windows and it seemed
    to help. So I removed one of my memory cards and that seemed to fix it temporarily without even needing to reinstall windows. I did end up reinstalling windows and then trying to use my second memory card as well and there were still issues. I ran memtest
    and it came back with the result of my memory cards working perfectly. So I resigned to just using one card blaming it on a win10 bug, but then after a while my computer started using up all 8 gbs of my remaining memory card for "system" and I couldn't find
    out exactly what was causing it. Task manager just said "system" was using 7.6 gbs of memory space. So finally I decided to do a full clean install of windows 10 to try and fix it. Backed up my files on an external and used my win10 USB drive to do a clean
    install. Every time I went through to install though it would give me some error during installation and blue screen. But since I couldn't boot from that drive anymore (or recover my files to it since windows would put me in a loop of "boot from drive" *boots
    from drive* "boot from win10 boot device" and repeat) I decided to upgrade and get an SSD since I wanted one anyway. I just installed that and am trying to install windows onto it and it keeps giving me an error of

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt of missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart installation. Error code: 0x80070570".

Figuring it was probably something wrong with my usb drive, I downloaded and installed a windows 10 iso onto a disc and tried installing windows with that but every time I try to install it blue screens sometime before 10% of "Getting files ready for installation"
    (it has gone longer, but usually before 10%). Here are bluescreen errors that I am receiving. They seem to cycle through and not really rest on one in particular.

BSODS received:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA with sometime (Ntfs.sys) added at the end

SYSTEM_PTE_MISUSE

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

There were other other blue screens as well earlier on but I can't remember them and they were never really settled on. These are essentially the main ones it seems. Chkdsk won't work because the "volume... is write protected", sfc scannow won't work because
    there is a "repair pending".

I know this is kind of a long shot (and a really long post), but if anyone knows anything or can help I would really appreciate it. I'm really at my wits' end and don't know what to do at this point...

My computer specs:

MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard

Intel i7 4790k Processor@4.4 Ghz

MSI GTX 970 Graphics Card

Corsair Vengeance 8gb (x2) RAM

Corsair CX750M Power Supply Unit

Seagate 4tb SSHD

Samsung 850 Evo 1tb SSD

Hank Katla, Apr 18, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    Anything in the 'C:\Users\<me>\Desktop' folder should appear on your desktop. The desktop on the screen is a composite of that personal desktop folder and the 'C:\Users\Public\Public Desktop' folder (which is where apps that are installed for 'all users' can put their shortcut icons).

Thema:

So Many Desktops

1. So Many Desktops - Similar Threads - Many Desktops

2. Font size suddenly huge for desktop icons, file manager, many menus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Font size suddenly huge for desktop icons, file manager, many menus: Just happened one day, I started up the computer and the text size was HUGE.Windows is up to date."Text size" in Accessibility is at the lowest level. I tried adjusting it up and then back down too."Scale" in Accessibility is set to 100%.Doesn't matter if I change the size of...
  3. Font size suddenly huge for desktop icons, file manager, many menus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Font size suddenly huge for desktop icons, file manager, many menus: Just happened one day, I started up the computer and the text size was HUGE.Windows is up to date."Text size" in Accessibility is at the lowest level. I tried adjusting it up and then back down too."Scale" in Accessibility is set to 100%.Doesn't matter if I change the size of...
  4. hey I have a problem it is that I have too many desktops in the multitasking and whenever I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hey I have a problem it is that I have too many desktops in the multitasking and whenever I...: Talking about this and I just wanna delete the destops https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-i-have-a-problem-it-is-that-i-have-too-many/bd557128-cc7f-4eb2-8b39-d5ed2fe98fec
  5. hey I have a problem it is that I have too many desktops in the multitasking and whenever I...

hey I have a problem it is that I have too many desktops in the multitasking and whenever I...: Talking about this and I just wanna delete the destops https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hey-i-have-a-problem-it-is-that-i-have-too-many/bd557128-cc7f-4eb2-8b39-d5ed2fe98fec
  6. i accidentally added too many desktops to my laptop and now i cant view the desktop to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i accidentally added too many desktops to my laptop and now i cant view the desktop to...: I added way to many and now im unable to view the task view so i cant delete them how can i delete them without using task view https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-added-too-many-desktops-to-my/843908ec-d91b-42b8-9314-22fc74c1eec9
  7. i accidentally added too many desktops to my laptop and now i cant view the desktop to...

i accidentally added too many desktops to my laptop and now i cant view the desktop to...: I added way to many and now im unable to view the task view so i cant delete them how can i delete them without using task view https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-accidentally-added-too-many-desktops-to-my/843908ec-d91b-42b8-9314-22fc74c1eec9
  8. What to do when I extracted too many files to my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do when I extracted too many files to my desktop: I was moving some files to a folder and put them on my desktop by accident & now I can’t really do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-to-do-when-i-extracted-too-many-files-to-my/e2eb3350-350b-4e57-9d86-52d9a72a70b2
  9. What to do when I extracted too many files to my desktop

What to do when I extracted too many files to my desktop: I was moving some files to a folder and put them on my desktop by accident & now I can’t really do anything https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-to-do-when-i-extracted-too-many-files-to-my/e2eb3350-350b-4e57-9d86-52d9a72a70b2
  10. why is my desktop window manager using so many resources

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is my desktop window manager using so many resources: Hi all, this is my first time on this site so please correct me if i get anything wrong.My desktop window manager is using a high amount of memory, gpu and cpu power and i am not sure as to why its doing this. ive been googling things for days and to no avail. anyone have a...